Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 World Classic Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Two Hamburg stamps not in catalogue

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
426 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010  09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add peterethio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Below are two German (Hamburg) stamps that don't seem to be in Michel. Does anyone know anything about them?

#1. This one I assume is some sort of relatively recent printing made to look like an old Hamburg stamp?

#2. This is perhaps a private mail service stamp?

Send note to staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2615 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010  09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

German Private locals based in Hamburg.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1503 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010  09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

As warrehouse has said the second one is from a local Hamburg post, the Hamburger Boten-Institute. The Michel catalogue for these issues warns about reprints and forgeries.

The first one has the same design as an official Hamburg stamp and I expect it's a cut-out from an envelope or wrapper. The diagonal printed text at the top right is very similar in style to printing on Thurn and Taxis envelopes.

Edited by nigelc - 09/28/2010 10:02 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
15572 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010  09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Number 2
Boten marken

Number 1

Peculiar
Listed in Gibbons only in 1.25 and 1.5 shilling.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
15572 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010  10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Envelopes! well done Nigel.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Israel
5853 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010  11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Envelopes!

.....or not?

I have these.

Hamburgbus1...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4103 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010  1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

holy cutouts batman!
LB you got a lot of those.

Valued Member
Australia
426 Posts
Posted 09/29/2010  05:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterethio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for all of this great information. Londonbus (Hamburgbus??) your collection is quite amazing. I assume by the "faux" stamp that some of these (or perhaps many) are not originals.

When I read what you had written, I did a google search on "post-couvert" which is part of the black writing across the stamp (see Londonbus' 7 Schilling). It turned up a number of envelopes from old German states, including this one from Hamburg

This confirms what you have been saying.

I also came across this site
http://www.philaseiten.de/cgi-bin/i...CP=27&F=1#M2
which, when translated into English from German through Google Translator, reads as follows. The person asked for information on one of these stamps, posting a picture of a 1/2 schilling black and white cut out, similar to the second last one on the top row of Londonbus' first picture.

This is an excerpt from a Hamburg postal envelope. It is the basis of the fragment is not possible to determine from which GSU (Michel) number, he was ausgeschnipselt value destroyers. It depends on the shape of the back door and the letter of the type of Klappenpraegestempels. All these features are not available.

The cheapest varieties of unused hamburger GSU a 1/2 schilling worth only EUR 3.50 (Michel GS-Catalogue 2003). Used they are much more expensive. Wertmaessig must be a discussion of the excerpt that is not necessarily pluck all the hair. Still a shame. A case for the trash can. The gray diagonal excess pressure above the value stamp was on the other "A half-shilling postal envelope."

While this person obviously doesn't value the cut out highly, his sentence, "It depends on the shape of the back door and the letter of the type of Klappenpraegestempels" I found to be interesting, if only I could work out what it means???

It is also interesting to note that in the black overprint "Schilling" is spelt with and without an "e" on the end.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1503 Posts
Posted 09/29/2010  06:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi peterethio,

I believe the comment about the "back door" in your translation refers to the envelope flap and the Klappenpraegestempels refers to embossed printing on the flap.

I don't know these envelopes but I do know the similar ones from Thurn and Taxis where a number of envelopes differ in the printing on the flap which is colourless embossing of a post horn or rosette etc. They also have the two diagonal lines of text across the top of the stamp with the words POST-COUVERT etc.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Israel
5853 Posts
Posted 09/29/2010  5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I found this too.

Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
Posted 08/16/2012  5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dlambert1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Coming late to the party, I translated "post-couvert" as "postal cover", i.e., envelope, but that's just me. I have a set of the seven Hamburg items shown in earlier postings, but the colors are so fresh and intense I suspect they are reprints; more like 1966 rather than 1866.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
296 Posts
Posted 10/05/2012  5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Art Strohmeier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have many of the same in a booklet identified as 'Hamburg Essays.' All are imperfs, and all except for a block in black, containing 1/2, 1 1/4, 2,3,4 AND 7 Pfg are singles. None have 'faux' printed on the back. Color of the paper looks the same.

Art

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05