Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Classic Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

OK>>Scott 318 or not ???

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gandd07
Valued Member

United States
33 Posts

Posted 10/26/2010  3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gandd07 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I just bought some old stamps today Ashland Ky , and there it was a 318? I measured to make sure and sure enough it is 24.5 mm vertical . I used my Shermack to compare its the same size all around.. Tell me guys what do you think...
Pics just doesnt look right from the angle I took. overall they are the same size..Help please...

Send note to staff

Russ
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2547 Posts

Posted 10/26/2010  5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The cancel looks like Aug 29, 1907, is that right?

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

gandd07
Valued Member

United States
33 Posts

Posted 10/26/2010  5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gandd07 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Guys I know it sounds crazy but that looks to me to be a 1937 cancel???

gandd07
Valued Member

United States
33 Posts

Posted 10/26/2010  5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gandd07 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I looked up on the http://www.1847usa.com/1902identifier.htm and it says 7-31-08 ?
I dont know this is so confusing..If it was fake wouldnt it not have the same diameter of the shermack stamp I have, at 24.5
vertical. If it was trimmed it would be a bit smaller. At least a mm..Thanks

billw2
Valued Member

United States
379 Posts

Posted 10/26/2010  5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billw2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have never seen a genuine #318 that's been used, I don't think that it's known to exist used.

Check it VERY carefully to make sure that both ends are the EXACT same width and make sure the cancel does bleed over the edge of the stamp. It's a very commonly faked stamp, they use "jumbo" margined examples to make fakes.

gandd07
Valued Member

United States
33 Posts

Posted 10/26/2010  6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gandd07 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

They are bothe same size at the bottom corners and the top does bleed over, my question is why 1937 cancel ?

Russ
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2547 Posts

Posted 10/27/2010  7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Billw2,
Did a quick search and found 78 mint examples (mostly pairs) but zero used.

billw2
Valued Member

United States
379 Posts

Posted 10/27/2010  7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billw2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Russ,

Not surprised. I didn't check Siegel's site, but per my recollection, these don't exist used. And unlike, say, the 1875 reissues of the 1869s, these have always been valuable and weren't likely to have been philatelically used. If a used one exists, Siegel probably sold it.

I would bet that it's either a trimmed perf stamp or a reperfed 314. If you're a gambler you can always try sending it into the PF and see what they say. FWIW, cancel looks like a smudged 1907.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05