Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Main Stamp Collecting Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Stamp Collecting - The Hobby Is Dying

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

laswabbie
Pillar Of The Community

USA
3315 Posts

Posted 10/27/2010  10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

At least that's what you hear and read.

I don't see any evidence of that, though. I've bid on 8 or 10 lots on eBay in the last week and lost every one of them. It's not the losing that convinces me that stamp collecting is a thriving hobby. It's the fact that each lot sold for 2 to 4 times what I was willing to pay. If there's that much money being thrown into the hobby it can't be dying.

Send note to staff

Edwin
Pillar Of The Community

750 Posts

Posted 10/27/2010  10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

agreed, only people that dont collect say its dieing personally I think its humming along at normal pace. I agree with a recent comment somone else said on a similar topic. That Winter is upon 3/4 of North America and its time for those quite indoor hobbies of winter, stamp collecting is one of those and I think people are getting back into it now that they are getting cooped up inside again.

until they go outside again and play with their outdoor hobbies us cheap skates will have to make due with scraps.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

BeeSee
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

Canada
4566 Posts

Posted 10/27/2010  10:56 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I am having the same problem on eBay for Australian states items that I never had before.

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS

Cjd
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4910 Posts

Posted 10/27/2010  11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It might be terminal, but death is still a long way off. Demographics, alone, support the notion of it surviving for another generation, as baby boomers start to enter retirement. I'm not a boomer, and yet I run across quite a few people in my generation who are participating, and it seems like there are more all the time, so that seems to account for another generation. The people in their thirties and forties who are coming back to collecting may not take another break.

Its too early to tell whether it has legs after that, but I think there are at least 40 or 50 good years left.

My 2d.

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10559 Posts

Posted 10/27/2010  11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

If you're talking about modern postage stamps, or first day covers, etc., they still sell for only pennies on the dollar and a mere fraction of "catalog value". On the other hand ... and there have been many recent posts mirroring this observation ... the "better" material, the quality items, the rare and/or scarce pieces are going for well above book value, especially at auction. It's all supply and demand.

The beauty of the hobby, at least in my opinion, is that you can tune it to your own budget.

philb
Pillar Of The Community

USA
9738 Posts

Posted 10/27/2010  11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The hobby will outlast me...its too bad all those great stamp magazines....Stamp Collector,Stamps.thats two that I can think of did not survive....Linns is a shadow of what it once was..when I joinned the APS in 1973 I believe it had 58,000 members...now 35,000...so whats left ? The Internet...i don't know what the hobby would be without it !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10559 Posts

Posted 10/27/2010  11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

You just brought back one memory for me from my teenaage years (1970's) ... "Stamps: The Weekly Magazine of Philately". I used to be a subscriber back then and actually enjoyed it more than Linn's.

Fast forward to 2010, though, and the internet is the lifeline of stamp collectors today. You can instantly research material of all kinds and on all topics, and make discoveries that would have otherwise taken hours or even weeks in library study to come up with before.

I've discovered only recently the vast information one can get via the internet when going through old pre-WWI covers and researching the names and places. A fscinating new sphere of collecting for me.

BeeSee
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
4566 Posts

Posted 10/28/2010  12:28 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It reminds me too of my tenaaage years, but Stamp Collector was called Western Stamp Collector and was my favourite even though I lived in the east. When I moved west, WSC moved east then bit the dust. :(. I even wrote some articles for it.

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS

scb
Valued Member

Finland
448 Posts

Posted 10/28/2010  01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It's not dying. It's just changing...

I agree that Internet has done a whole lot of good for the hobby. Too bad that some of the social aspects have suffered due to this though.

Collecting the world 1840 to date one stamp at a time.
Author & owner of Stamp Collecting Blog (just google it)...

KGV Collector
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
2628 Posts

Posted 10/28/2010  03:29 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I also was of the opinion that our hobby was going down hill until the Internet stampers were shown to me. And on SCF I have found out even more about Internet stampers.
I do believe that stamp clubs are not getting any bigger but this great forum of our is. SCF is one huge stamp club and can not be bettered by any of the off line stamp clubs. My 2c worth KGV.

luvthecommonwealth
Valued Member

Canada
219 Posts

Posted 10/28/2010  03:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add luvthecommonwealth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I go the the notion it's not dying, but changing. The shop demographics remain middle aged and older, but the Internet boasts a large number of younger collectors like myself. I don't go to shops much or to auctions due to time constraints...the Internet is available when I have time.

StampStudy
Pillar Of The Community

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted 10/28/2010  04:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampStudy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I dont think the hobby is dying - The internet has allowed us closet collectors to share knowledge, ideas and expand on our own collections. I do think there are less collectors out there. I'm still waiting for the day I meet someone out one evening and they mention they're a stamp collector. All my friends know of my hobby and how important it is to me but very few of them would even give it a passing glance. I often hear the words My mother/father collected stamps, I think I still have the album here somewhere.

Now I don't go to stamp clubs/exhibitions/fairs (Unless Londonbus is in town), but I do spend a good portion of my day on the internet. I agree completely that sites like this keep me in the hobby. I was fortunate enough to meet a collector where I work He has been collecting for the past 45 years and since I introduced him to the wonders of the internet his collection has not only grown in directions he couldn't imagine but has become of better quality something he says now has shape and form. One example is his ability to download stamp album pages, he tirelessly prints them up and mounts each set. When I first met him his collection was a shambles, a lot of it in packets and and cards ( a lot like my collection now) but he has his country files now and a lot of the higher value items all got purchased at reasonable prices off the internet.

I think there will be another boom in collecting when the skills of the internet start matching the skills of the collectors out there. I work in a school and often thought about starting a afterschool club of some sort but the kids here are so engrossed in their gaming (Xbox/Playstation) and wouldn't see any value in it.

Drew

timbres667
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2395 Posts

Posted 10/28/2010  05:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timbres667 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

About philately and kids, there is a stampclub were I live for kids at the library and it's been there for while. But it's also true when I go at the Federation I can be consider young. So I don't know about the future of stamping. This weekend there is Ophilex at the shopping mall to promote stamp collecting. No dealers just exhibition.

I think as the price of gold goes higher and higher since a while some high value stamps attract investor. So high value stamps and gold could have the same trend. So high value stamp may be consider as an investment. They buy high value stamp like they would buy an expensive painting. I mean these people have allot of money to spend. they are some kind of collectors and they don't expect a good return before 10 years.

rohumpy
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1842 Posts

Posted 10/28/2010  06:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I don't think I could continue collecting without the internet. It has become so integral to my thought processes and the ability to see large numbers of stamps and to buy with just a couple of clicks of the mouse can't be duplicated any other way.

(and I am 67 years old and have been collecting since 1957) They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I definitely belie that old saying.

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6336 Posts

Posted 10/28/2010  07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Years ago there were small columns in newspapers that educated people of all ages about stamps. Or lots of magazines.

Today with the flow of information over the internet and other forms of mass media there is a lot more information available to the average person.

What is missing, or at least one aspect that is missing, is the promotion of the hobby by popular figures. King George V and VI and Queen Elizabeth II come to mind. American presidents have promoted stamp collecting.

If a popular figure does it, wears certain clothes, has a certain dog, eats certain foods, a lot of us want some of that. It makes it in fashion. It is suddenly a good idea and OK to do that thing.

I still get a thrill when I think the Queen collects stamps too, although I don't know much about how she does that or what she collects.

It is perhaps the overflow of information we have today that is causing stamp collecting to become lost in the mob. If the only access to media information you had was a newspaper or a radio for an hour or two each day, for instance, and some of that information flow was devoted to stamp collecting then I think a lot more people would be exposed to the idea of stamp collecting.

Today, buried in all the other information on 100's of channels on TV and radio and thousands of choices on the internet along with game playing and interacting over the internet, the amount of time the average person hears about and sees stamp collecting diminishes by leaps and bounds.

But the allure of having some time away from the madding crowd, some peace found amongst the ruins, some order amid the chaos is there in stamp collecting and when some find it, maybe by accident, maybe someone shows them, it is appreciated and welcomed when it is recognized as being the special thing it is.

spock1k
Pillar Of The Community

2663 Posts

Posted 10/28/2010  10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

puzzler come back here our intergalactic store is whats dying :)

Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05