Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Main Stamp Collecting Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

H.E. Harris History

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Donna Merkle
Valued Member

United States
373 Posts

Posted 11/10/2010  06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Donna Merkle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

You just never know what you will find in the Wikipedia. Sometimes you have to check the facts, but this one seemed pretty straight forward.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ellis_Harris

Send note to staff

stallzer
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
3552 Posts

Posted 11/10/2010  1:20 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a 30 page booklet H.E. Harris used to send / hand out to possible sellers. It give details about the Company with quick biographies on some of their employees as well as testimonies from people that sold to HE Harris and other selling tips. I have not been able to find a publishing date in this booklet but I'm guessing it's between 1940 - 1950.

The introduction, a quick Biography of Henry.

Edited by stallzer - 11/10/2010 1:22 pm
Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10153 Posts

Posted 11/10/2010  2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I remember that book ... but never used them to sell anything. Interestingly, if you web search the title, you'll see e-bay has some sellers putting these books on auction at around $9.99 (no bidders, though).

fredcdobbs
Valued Member

United States
479 Posts

Posted 11/10/2010  3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a 1951 Harris catalog, 50's, 60's and early 70's I think half the kids in America would get stamp approvals from Harris and about half of those kids would not send back the approvals. Myself included and a few weeks later them nasty official business pay up letters would show up in the mail box. Man them stamp collections guys meant business, I was convinced they would hunt me down no matter where I hid. My father ended up bailing me out by sending Harris about $12 bucks, and then canceling the approval sevice. I bet some of them guys in the accounts payable section went on to work for the IRS.

AnthonyUK
Pillar Of The Community

United Kingdom
1193 Posts

Posted 11/10/2010  3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

His business model sound similar to this one from UK.
These approval booklets were sent out and then you could buy pages of stamps.

Sample page

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10153 Posts

Posted 11/10/2010  4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I hated approvals, too. Never used them, as the majority were junk stamps anyway. Before consumer crackdowns, though, I remember as a teenager seeing an offer that I wanted for stamps in a newspaper or magazine that didn't state any approvals would be sent, so when I mailed the order I pointed out that I wanted no approvals. In response, I got my check back and a very nasty letter from the seller condemning my putting in writing the fact that I wanted no approvals. Needless to say, I never went back to that guy! (That was what gave some dealers in that day a bad name and reputation.)

BeeSee
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

Canada
4465 Posts

Posted 11/10/2010  4:39 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That was what gave some dealers in that day a bad name and reputation.

Oh yes, I remember those days! Now everyone blames the internet for bad dealings, but in reality, not much has really changed...

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS

stampvirgin
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4103 Posts

Posted 11/10/2010  7:38 pm  Show Profile Check stampvirgin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

awhile ago, I, online, filled out a form on mystics site.. to get a catalog. I did (btw I just got their new one), anyway I instantly started getting approvals... wow the crap they were selling and the prices they were selling at.. I wrote on the form I only collected US mint.. they started sending me the crap of the US stamps... 1.00 face value for 12.00.. all common, and all I already have.. I sent them back and told them to stop sending me stamps on approval unless they were going to send me pre-1900 mint never hinged.. I haven't gotten anything from them since.

Edwin
Pillar Of The Community

750 Posts

Posted 11/10/2010  8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ah, Stamp Virgin that offer bit me too, All I wanted was the catalog... I got a lot of stamps and coins with a catalog and a BILL... I called and complained, they said it cost money to print catalogs they send products and Bills with the catalog. I replied that I saw no bill for the catalog just the stuff I didn't ask for. she said I could send it back and keep the catalog I stuffed it all in including the catalog saying I didn't want anything from a company that send me stamps and bills I didn't order.

fredcdobbs
Valued Member

United States
479 Posts

Posted 11/10/2010  8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Omygosh, I remember these Bahawalper stamps like it was yesterday, I hated these suckers and the bazillion other approval stamps that were sent, lemme think mmmmm... Lundy, Tonga, Ghana, Cabo Verde, Republique Centrafricaine, Du Congo, Dahomey, Aberjamastan Dunes and Eastern block CTO'S and.........

timbres667
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2374 Posts

Posted 11/10/2010  8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timbres667 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

fredcdobbs

Quote:
Omygosh, I remember these Bahawalper stamps like it was yesterday, I hated these suckers and the bazillion other approval stamps that were sent, lemme think mmmmm... Lundy, Tonga, Ghana, Cabo Verde, Republique Centrafricaine, Du Congo, Dahomey, Aberjamastan Dunes and Eastern block CTO'S

Edited by timbres667 - 11/10/2010 8:52 pm

modern_who
Pillar Of The Community

USA
2420 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  01:31 am  Show Profile Check modern_who's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just happened to see an ad for the Harris' 'If You Have Stamps To Sell' booklet. It was in a copy of The STAMP WHOLESALER from August 10, 1968 that I was going through. They were asking a quarter for a copy.

Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay

AnthonyUK
Pillar Of The Community

United Kingdom
1193 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  02:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Omygosh, I remember these Bahawalper stamps like it was yesterday...

That is my recollection too.
Although this booklet did have a set of QE2 castles Scott#309-311 which are not too bad in comparison. Cat. today is probably $30+.

rohumpy
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1826 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  06:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Stampvirgin, if Mystic had sent pre-1900 mint never hinged, you would probably have to taken out a second mortgage to buy them.

Russ
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2547 Posts

Posted 08/28/2011  02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Early ad for H. E. Harris while he was still in Baltimore and was 17 years old

From Meekel's Weekly Stamp News July 19, 1919

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15560 Posts

Posted 08/28/2011  02:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

http://www.stampcommunity.org/topic...PIC_ID=10563

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05