Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Main Stamp Collecting Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Mutawakelite Kingdom of Yemen

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lithograving
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
3072 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Listed in Scott are Yemen (Arab Republic) and People's Democratic Republic of Yemen but no Mutawakelite Kingdom of Yemen.
Are these listed anywhere or are they Cinderellas ?

Send note to staff

David King
Valued Member
United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David King to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Lithograving

From 1962 Yemen was divided in two by a civil war between republicans and royalists. Each side issued stamps. The republic stamps are generally labelled "Yemen Arab Republic" (sometimes "YAR"). The royalist stamps are labelled "The Mutawakelite Kingdom of Yemen" or just "Yemen". The stamps you show seem to be listed in the Stanley Gibbons Simplified Catalogue in the appendix for 1968 (ie stamps they regard as having not been sold properly inside the country). There is one listed series for the 1968 Olympics (R335-R342), but this does not include 1b and 28b values.

In the SG catalogue, the royalist stamps are listed after the republican stamps, and then followed by the stamps for the successor state, Yemen's People's Democratic Republic, from 1971.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

lithograving
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
3072 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks David. Well at least SG lists them. I guess Scott gave them the black blot.

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

Israel
5806 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This where Gibbons [and other catalogues?] make me mad !
They list stamps in the appendix section as being 'in excess of Postal Needs or not enough evidence of Postal use'.

Bull***t !

Many, dare I say most, of the Postal Authorities today issue far in excess of Postal needs and much more so than the Muckylite Kingdom of Yemen !
How much evidence is there that stamps from GB minature sheets or commemorative sets endure regular postal use ?????? Zilch!

Gibbons and other catalogues listing these appendices should scrap them and apologise to the non-issuing nations.

Or apologise to the issuing nations of today and list their wallpaper in the appendix........

Edited by Londonbus1 - 11/11/2010 5:51 pm

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15560 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for posting some "Dune" stamps,
you will note the cancel is also printed as part of the stamp.

Grenoble 3 man bobsleigh team.

A non existing event

Edited by rod222 - 11/11/2010 6:22 pm

Cjd
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4863 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

'bus, perhaps the Appendix should really be titled, "We lack(ed) the editorial resources to determine what was really going on there." I could imagine that they wouldn't want to copy SG's listings for fear of being Mountweazeled by SG.

Rod, are you sure the Yemeni pusher hadn't already fallen off the back?

David King
Valued Member
United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David King to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I agree with Londonbus about miniature sheets. But I hate stamps that have printed cancellations (like the DDR officials etc). And also stamps that are ugly (like lots of Dune stamps, but not by any means all). So hey, if it looks good it's worth keeping, otherwise find someone with a different taste who wants it . . .

David King
Valued Member
United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David King to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Lithograving - does Scott list what SG regards as "legit" royalist Yemen stamps? SG has several pages of them.

lithograving
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
3072 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Yes Scott has Yemen's first stamps of 1926, then some for the Kingdom of Yemen and actually I see it now in the illustration even a set for
Mutawakelite Kingdom of Yemen issued in 1952, most say just Yemen.

lithograving
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
3072 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

You're right Rod it does look like the cancel was printed on, just like some DDR issues.

As far as listing them I always thought Scott had a very arbitrary policy in what they list, whether its Dunes, Cuba, Iran, etc.
I realize of course a lot has to do with US foreign policy.

Here is one from Umm Al Qiwain, again not listed by Scott.

BeeSee
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

Canada
4473 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  7:01 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod, are you sure the Yemeni pusher hadn't already fallen off the back?

Yeh Rod, I already told you he fell off the last time you showed this.

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS

Cjd
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4863 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Reduce, reuse, recycle..?

lithograving
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
3072 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

At least the designer for Umm Al Qiwain got it right so maybe it should be a legit stamp.

Ryan
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
737 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Listed in Scott are Yemen (Arab Republic) and People's Democratic Republic of Yemen but no Mutawakelite Kingdom of Yemen.
Are these listed anywhere or are they Cinderellas ?

Michel lists them in their Near East catalogue (should also be in their English-language Gulf States catalogue - I don`t know, I don`t have a copy of that).

Ryan

lithograving
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
3072 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Ryan, yeah Michel are excellent catalogs but too expensive.

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15560 Posts

Posted 11/11/2010  8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yeh Rod, I already told you he fell off the last time you showed this

OK OK, " 4 man bobsleigh team, with pusher left at start"

hehehe

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05