Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Main Stamp Collecting Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Your first stamp purchases. Starting your collection

Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jbcev80
Pillar Of The Community

United States
645 Posts

Posted 04/05/2011  3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Londonbus,

It is perf 11. I also noticed a slight crease that I never noticed before. Yes it is without tab.

At first Israel stamps were collected without tabs and if it had a tab all well and good. Then the tab frenzy took off. I seem to remember Scott valued a used stamp at a few hundred dollars in the 1960's.

Remember, in 1948/1949 50 cents was relatively a lot of money. It well may have been the equivalent of the $10-$20 you expected. In fact 50 cents was my whole allowance for the week. I had enough money to go to the movies on Saturday afternoon and enough left over to get snacks during the week. When the allowance went to a dollar I was rich.

When this stamp was bought Israel had recently become a state and the only stamps in abundance were Palestine. As I was told, there were no Israel stamps on the US market, unless they came on mail to family members. I believe Jacques Minkus became the largest US dealer for Israel stamps. Now there are a few dealers. I will say Israel stamps became desirable and pricey pretty quickly, especially in New York City.

Jerry B

Edited by jbcev80 - 04/05/2011 3:46 pm
Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

philb
Pillar Of The Community

USA
9738 Posts

Posted 04/05/2011  3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ernest Shackleton my main man...hey nobodies perfect I read up everything I can on his amazing return from the ice ! This was not a dollar cover !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

Israel
5818 Posts

Posted 04/06/2011  02:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Remember, in 1948/1949 50 cents was relatively a lot of money

jbcev,

My feeling is that you purchased your stamp before the real value was known. Even in the late forties, it should have been more than 50c.
But a small crease may have had something to do with it.
Still, it has a personal historical fascination and that makes it a treasure.
It is also a very beautiful stamp...indeed, the whole set is lovely.

Look after it.

Londonbus1

jbcev80
Pillar Of The Community

United States
645 Posts

Posted 04/06/2011  03:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Londonbus,

I believe the crease happened after purchase. Anyways, I just soaked it and am pressing it. The crease was not sharp so it should press out.

I tend to agree with you on the fact that the true value was not really known. The set is beautiful. I once saw the entire 1-9 as mint tabs and it was even more spectacular.

Jerry B

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05