Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

$5.00 John Bassett Moore.......Scan added....successfully...  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
10 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add milbroco to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,
I am new to this board and wanted to check out this site and ask a few questions about stamps I have had since my childhood. The first is, are the $5.00 John Bassett Moore stamps worth anything more than $5.00 mint? I have a mint block of 4 and want to know if I should just use it as postage.
Thank you,
Bob
Send note to Staff
Edited by milbroco - 03/12/2011 7:54 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3527 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   7:18 pm  Show Profile Check jhlovell's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi bob, do not use as postage, as more people chime in, all the collectors would do backflips to purchase your block at face value, but depending on what kind of shape it is in, or what kind of block will tell you how much you are holding, but a single $5 Bassett catalogs 2009 for $10.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add milbroco to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply. I will see if I can figure out how to post a scan of the block.
Thanks again,
Bob
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2469 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   7:24 pm  Show Profile Check tomiseksj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Bob. The 2011 catalog value for an untagged mint never hinged copy of Scott 1295 in Very Fine condition is $10 and a Plate Number Block of 4 in the same condition catalogs at $42.50 -- values for the tagged 1295a (VF NH) are $8.50 and $35.00. The caveat, however, is that these lower value stamps often don't sell at catalog value. If you want to get a sense of what your stamp might be worth, go to the U.S. stamp category on on eBay and search on the Scott number 1295.
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add milbroco to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey good idea. Can't beleive I did not think of checking completed items on eBay myself. I feel stupid...... By the way, what is "tagged" and "untagged"? There is a lot for me to learn about the hobby as I only collected for a few years when I was in my early teens and before.
Thanks again,
Bob
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2054 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   7:38 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tagged stamps have a phosphor coating that can be seen under certain wavelengths of ultraviolet light, i.e. a blacklight. Some one else here probably can tell you which kind of light to get. The phosphor coating helped certain machinery at the post offices in the automation process.
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add milbroco to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I did this right, here is a scan.
Thanks,
Bob
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2469 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   8:13 pm  Show Profile Check tomiseksj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few good online resources to help you get started:

http://www.linns.com/
http://arago.si.edu/
http://www.1847usa.com/
http://glossary.usstamps.org/

Valued Member
8 Posts
Posted 03/13/2011   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GRR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've thought about doing the same with my high face stamps that I found. They seem to bring around face on eBay. I have 2 blocks of Bret Harte Great American Stamps and I think 1 of block of 4. They would work well for Priority mail boxes I send lol.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9739 Posts
Posted 03/13/2011   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok Bob, too bad its not a plate block..but you should do better than 20 dollars with the right customer...in this game TIMING is everything..if you are not in a hurry someone will come along !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Pretty Little Cover...
  6000+ First Day Covers - 1930's-2000's!
  Please Id and Value ....
  I need help identifying two stamps
  One cent Washington Green, Help to Verify?
  Big blue 1840-1940 scott album opinions
  Yahoo US Stamp Discussion Group- What Happened?
  I think I may have stumbled upon a 482A...
  Reunion question. Close Cross Version?
  Netherlands Stamp Giveaway
  1965-1981 Prominent American Series Scott Numbers?
  confusing to a beginner?
  Australian Butterflies and Moths 1981 - 2016
  Is Australia Post Increasing the International $2.75c stamp?
  Strange Stamp Or Label Found in my European Stamp Collection?
  Custom avatar request
  British Solomon Island postage due cover
  Stamp Mount Organization
  Bermuda 1949 6d UPU Block of 6 Mint
  577 Schermack strip of 4 paste up. Real?
  Scott 5A on eBay - OG - can't be legit can it?
  ATA Princess Diana stamp list
  Newfoundland 1897 Cover with Railway postmark
  Number of unused/mint u.s. first issue revenues?
  Chinese stamps that I think is a long enough title for this post

Pretty Little Cover...
  Refugees
  Please Id and Value ....
  Album recomendations please
  Doves as Symbols of Peace
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Reunion question. Close Cross Version?
  Unique US 220b (with PF cert) eBay auction - thoughts?
  6000+ First Day Covers - 1930's-2000's!
  US local stamps
  I need help identifying two stamps
  Big blue 1840-1940 scott album opinions
  Modern Industrial Art and Design
  Need identification Guide for Antique Covers
  Waterfalls on Stamps
  One cent Washington Green, Help to Verify?
  CARTOON & COMIC Characters on Stamps!
  Rattlesnake Island stamp, local post, Lake Erie
  I think I may have stumbled upon a 482A...
  Odd shaped stamps. Be cool, don't be a square.
  Looking to add to the pre-1940 part of my USA collection and need vendor recommendations
  My Dam Stamps
  Yahoo US Stamp Discussion Group- What Happened?
  Cover Calendar for month and day -PICS
  Belgium Colis Postals

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2016 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05