Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Classic Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Oldest American Stamps

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

samuel tan
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts

Posted 04/13/2011  3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add samuel tan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Can somebody tell me what is the oldest American Stamps.
What year are they? One of the contractor I know found mint Stamps collection in the attic when he rebuild his house. They doesn't look like stamps, I meant it was very rough printed.

Send note to staff

quigngt
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!
Guatemala
1324 Posts

Posted 04/13/2011  4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The first US issue was a 5 cent Ben Franklin that is brown to reddish brown and a number of color variations of these colors. It was issued in 1847. There were provisional stamps such as one from New York City but the 5c Ben is the oldest and first US Postage stamp.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10915 Posts

Posted 04/13/2011  4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here's a link that may help:

http://www.usps.com/postalhistory/s...andPostcards

To speed things up, this is taken right off the US Postal Service website, which should answer your question:

Quote:
Alexander M. Greig's City Despatch Post, a private New York City carrier, issued the first adhesive stamps in the United States on February 1, 1842. The Post Office Department bought Greig's business and continued use of adhesive stamps to prepay postage.

After U.S. postage rates were standardized in 1845, New York City Postmaster Robert H. Morris, among others, provided special stamps or markings to indicate prepayment of postage. These now are known as Postmasters' Provisionals.

On March 3, 1847, Congress authorized United States postage stamps. The first general issue postage stamps went on sale in New York City, July 1, 1847. One, priced at five cents, depicted Benjamin Franklin. The other, a ten-cent stamp, pictured George Washington. Clerks used scissors to cut the stamps from pregummed, nonperforated sheets. Only Franklin and Washington appeared on stamps until 1856, when a five-cent stamp honoring Thomas Jefferson was issued. A two-cent Andrew Jackson stamp was added in 1863. George Washington has appeared on more U.S. postage stamps than any other person.

Until government-issued stamps became obligatory January 1, 1856, other payment methods remained legal.

quigngt
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1324 Posts

Posted 04/13/2011  4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

And btw, we would have to see a scan of the stamp to identify it.

jamesw
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
5376 Posts

Posted 04/13/2011  4:08 pm  Show Profile Check jamesw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Samual
The first US postal stamps were printed in 1847. But before that local postmasters often printed what were called postmasters provisionals for local use. Also local courier or carrier companies often printed their own as well. You can find a lot of them on eBay (among other places) but a lot of those are reproductions or forgeries, so care is needed if you are buying. But it might be a good place for you and your contractor to go for reference.
I'm sure others on this site have lots of other good websites to check out too.
It'd be great if you could scan some of them so we could see them. Pleeeeeeeeeese?

samuel tan
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts

Posted 04/14/2011  01:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add samuel tan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks guys,
I thought, what I saw was older than that, as far I remembered. Now I am not too sure anymore.
I definitely going to shoot a photo to show to you guys. it looks like "rubber stamped" quality (bad monochrome print)in different color each stamps.
It was in a booklet with a set of stamps on it and description besides it. I remember Andrew Jackson in blue ink. I am going to meet him this coming Saturday.

palaniappan
Valued Member
India
117 Posts

Posted 04/14/2011  9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add palaniappan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ben franklin 5cent and George washington 10 cent stamps were released in the same year. I think Ben franklin 5 cent stamp is the oldest stamp in U.S. The oldest in the world being the penny black from U.K.

warm wishes.

samuel tan
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts

Posted 04/15/2011  1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add samuel tan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Any idea what is the value?

Max_Power
Valued Member

United States
257 Posts

Posted 04/15/2011  2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Max_Power to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

yes

Quote:
I think Ben franklin 5 cent stamp is the oldest stamp in U.S.

correct-- the value of these can go from 400- 700 used and even more mint

Edited by Max_Power - 04/15/2011 3:01 pm

Russ
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2547 Posts

Posted 04/15/2011  11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The Greig's City Despatch Post stamp mentioned by wt1 is posted below

Scott 40L1 1842 (Siegel Auctions)

Max_Power
Valued Member

United States
257 Posts

Posted 04/16/2011  01:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Max_Power to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

thats a local-- not really an "official" stamp. it is--but not officially

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.35 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05