Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Main Stamp Collecting Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Bob de Diego
Valued Member
Panama
154 Posts

Posted 05/03/2011  5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bob de Diego to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Bob

Send note to staff

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15563 Posts

Posted 05/03/2011  6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The top three, left hand side,
are lithographed (tiny dots)
scarce issue is the 12pf with vert wmk

Similar set is typographed (lines instead of dots)

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

Bob de Diego
Valued Member
Panama
154 Posts

Posted 05/03/2011  7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bob de Diego to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here some more, nothing from the elusive 12pf though :(

Greetz!

Bob

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15563 Posts

Posted 05/04/2011  01:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The next part of your study
should be the hammer and calipers set,
note the differing printing.

dots v lined centres........

Bob de Diego
Valued Member
Panama
154 Posts

Posted 05/04/2011  12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bob de Diego to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Very interesting rod222, this is an entire universe of types

Bob

KirkS
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
3727 Posts

Posted 05/04/2011  3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KirkS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

AWESOME scans Bob!

You should be writing a tutorial for the rest of us on your settings for resolution, dpi, color, etc.

KirkS

jamesw
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
5275 Posts

Posted 05/04/2011  3:44 pm  Show Profile Check jamesw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

If memory serves (sold that part of my collection) there was another version of the worker series engraved (lines rather than dots), was there not?

Bob de Diego
Valued Member
Panama
154 Posts

Posted 05/04/2011  3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bob de Diego to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
AWESOME scans Bob!

You should be writing a tutorial for the rest of us on your settings for resolution, dpi, color, etc.

KirkS

hehe, I don't run Windows, but if you are running any Linux distro I can lead you thru the settings

Quote:
If memory serves (sold that part of my collection) there was another version of the worker series engraved (lines rather than dots), was there not?

I have no idea, these are the only ones that I have :S

Bob

lithograving
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
3072 Posts

Posted 05/04/2011  3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

None of these stamps were printed via engraving but
by letterpress/typography(lines) or offset (dots/screening).

The letterpress ones do have the engraver's name K.Wolf
on the lower right side since this process also involves an engraver
but these are surface printed compared to recess engraving.

Edited by lithograving - 05/04/2011 4:00 pm

jamesw
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
5275 Posts

Posted 05/04/2011  4:05 pm  Show Profile Check jamesw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

ah, at least I remembered the lines.

danstamps54
Pillar Of The Community

United States
507 Posts

Posted 05/04/2011  5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bob,

Quote:
this is an entire universe of types

It certainly is an interesting universe of types! You have examples of three sets that have a lot of variations!
The first three in your first scan are from the "Five-Year Plan" series. There are 71 different issues not counting the reprints, direction of the watermark and some color variations. Yours are 1957 reprints of the first (1953) series.

Rod is correct. The 12pf with a vertical watermark has a CV of 750 EUR in mint condition. A horizontal watermark is pretty common.

You can distinguish the reprints from the original series by how "Deutsche" lines up with "Demokratische"

The stamp on the right is a reprint. The left the original.

The bottom row is a part of the Ulbricht series, a fly-specker's joy! LOL Michel's catalog devotes 6 (small-print) pages to variations!

Your second scan has copies of the official series depicting the coat of arms of the DDR. There are two major types, One series has dotted background (offset lithography printing) and another has a lined background (letterpress printing). There are paper (plain and granite) differences as well as some denominations with multiple perforations, not to mention reprints. The Michel catalog gives this series 7 pages of small print!

I can't tell from your scan if your stamps are reprints or not. One distinguishing factor is the number of dots in the outer circle.

Quote:
The Five-Year Plan series was printed in offset lithography and letterpress, so some do have lines (letterpress)

The Five-Year Plan series was printed in offset lithography and letterpress, so some do have lines (letterpress)

Dan

I've seen it all, heard it all, done it all; I just can't remember it all.
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15563 Posts

Posted 05/04/2011  5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nice extension of information danstamps54,

Also, the dove shown on you last example
is the accepted icon for peace, and was drawn
by the artist Picasso.
The Picasso dove is found on many countries stamps including China.

danstamps54
Pillar Of The Community

United States
507 Posts

Posted 05/04/2011  10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks, Rod.

DDR and SBZ (Soviet Zone) stamps always seem to me to be the Rodney Dangerfields for German collectors, they get no respect. Both areas have some philatelically (and historically) interesting issues. Maybe it is because most collections are flooded with their CTO issues.

Interesting comment on the dove. A number of early DDR stamps incorporate doves in their design. Sort of ironic considering the country's history.

Dan

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15563 Posts

Posted 05/05/2011  02:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

That's right Dan,
I think Michel actually state the DDR reprints are actually "valueless".
which I found curious.

danstamps54
Pillar Of The Community

United States
507 Posts

Posted 05/05/2011  10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Rod,

I think most collectors view DDR that way.

Rather than viewing them as worthless, I took it as a collecting challenge to find "postfrisch" copies. I got hooked on looking for the differences between the originals and the reprints.

It's the only foreign country I collect MNH. It's inexpensive (relatively) and fun.

Dan

babateacher
Valued Member

Oman
72 Posts

Posted 05/18/2011  5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add babateacher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I recall reading somewhere that CTO's from the DDR have started to have the same value as real cancelled. Is that true or just a rumor?

Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05