Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Classic Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Overrun Countries Plate Blocks of 6

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 05/25/2011  7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Fat Boy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I recently bought the 13 Overrun Countries plate blocks (Scott #s US 909-921). They are blocks of six. To mount them in Showgard 240/63 mounts, I will need twice the number of mounts than I would need if they were blocks of four. The mounts aren't cheap. Do I tear off two stamps from each block, or should I bite the bullet and buy the extra mounts? The stamps are in excellent condition.

Send note to staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5442 Posts
Posted 05/25/2011  8:18 pm  Show Profile Check smauggie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Get the strips of the appropriate size and cut them to fit.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
11108 Posts
Posted 05/25/2011  8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Definitely keep them as blocks of 6. If they are top margin blocks with guide markings, the catalog values increase by about $2 for those extra two stamps that would otherwise have a catalog value of only 25 cents if separated from the multiple.

Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 05/26/2011  07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fat Boy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for the advice. I guess nothing worth doing right is cheap.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
11108 Posts
Posted 05/26/2011  07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

If oversized mounts are cost prohibitive, you can always consider using stockbook pages or page protectors or some other means to display these stamps. There are no rules for the proper way to display your stamps. The only one you have to please is yourself, as it's your collection and you should do what suits you best.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1224 Posts
Posted 05/26/2011  08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add artlaunier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Like wt1 said, it's your collection, do it your way.

Everyone else does...

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (The exact & entire wording of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3513 Posts
Posted 05/26/2011  11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

No one can ever put that block of six back together if it gets taken apart. Always keep you multiples intact is my policy. - jeff

Valued Member
United States
257 Posts
Posted 05/28/2011  12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Max_Power to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

the mounts probably cost more than the stamps!

Valued Member
220 Posts
Posted 05/28/2011  05:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lockumupthrowawaykey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I agree 99.999999999999 percent of the time stamps and other philathetic material should be kept as found. I was at a big antique show in Bloomington Illinois and came across a dealer of antigue stationary. She had an envelope and entire letter from the very early 1800s that was to the Queen of England. The envelope had part of the corner neatly cut off and had a faint smudge at the point of the seal. When asked about it she said the wax seal was a bit cracked so she scraped it off and as for the corner of the envelope it was a bit smeared she said, so I cut it off. Some just don't know, even some that are expert..... Aaarrrgggghhhhh!

Valued Member
220 Posts
Posted 05/28/2011  05:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lockumupthrowawaykey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Low cost mounting for blocks. Also realize that plate blocks come in specific sizes. Some issues require more than 4 stamps to be a plate block.

Edited by lockumupthrowawaykey - 05/28/2011 05:42 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05