Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Main Stamp Collecting Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

The Citation Stamp Album

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 06/01/2011  9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add marko1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Does any one have an idea were I could get a binder, I need one more The Citation Stamp Album, I need to place a pile of loose sheets from my uncles old collection. I hear Harris is out of business now.

Or even a good source for pages and binders from other companies. Like I said before been gone for way to long from stamp collecting,,,

Thanks all

Send note to staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2634 Posts
Posted 06/01/2011  10:00 pm  Show Profile Check Rileysan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hear Harris is out of business now.

YUGO is out of business, too. Good luck finding parts!

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
10952 Posts
Posted 06/02/2011  12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

HE Harris is not really "out of business" but has been bought out by Whitman Publishing (the coin collecting people) and HE Harris is only a small subdivision of what they used to be.

You can still get "new" binders and albums from HE Harris for the Liberty (US) and Statesman and Heirloom (WW) at this link for $19.99. Unfortunately, the Citation album (which was 5" thick and kind of a heavy and awkward album to begin with) has been discontinued for a number of years. There are still a few used ones you can occasionally find on eBay, but most of the time the condition may be questionable and given the fact that most people prefer newer albums using acid-free paper, the older Citation album may often not be the best choice. Anyway, here's the link (go to the bottom of the web page for the HE Harris Statesman and Heirloom binders, if that's an option for you):

http://www.whitmanbooks.com/default...SubCatOID=22

Interestingly, I came upon this recently that seems to provide a reasonable explanation as to what happened to many of these worldwide stamp albums that were so popular 30 or 40 years ago:

Quote:
Whatever Happened To World-Wide Stamp Albums?

If you began collecting stamps during the 1950's and 1960's as I did, you probably remember the selection of world-wide albums you had for housing your collection.

Scott, Minkus, Harris, and Grossman all offered several albums in different sizes to help you collect and contain a world full of stamps. And if you happen to come across an ad for any of them in the back of some old album, now, they were relatively cheap.

Communist countries were doing it for a long time, but other nations who saw revenue possibilities in the hobby began to catch on to the fact that if you issued it, collectors would come and buy. For tiny countries like Monaco and San Marino, issuing stamps were among their leading industries.

While all this was great news for topical collectors, with mostly colorful, thematic stamps being issued, the glut of material was hurting other hobbyists who referred to the plethora of colorful issues as "wallpaper," especially once the "dunes" and "shiekdoms" of the former Trucial States made the scene. Collectors began to specialize more and more or drop out of the hobby altogether, since keeping up with everything could be dizzying as well as expensive.

As an example, a Scott International Album that could at one time hold a good, representative collection of stamps issued within the course of 100 years of philately, could no longer contain the stamps issued over the course of a couple of years! Stamps were not issued to carry the mail but as revenue enhancers marketed by philatelic agencies to eager, or maybe not-so-eager collectors.

Eventually, publishers such as Scott, Minkus and Harris hit the skids with most of the pieces, including what's left of the philatelic press, pretty much being held together by one company, Amos, a company I never even heard of during the philatelic heyday.

Now, if you want a world-wide album, a new one that is, you are pretty much limited to the Harris Statesman Deluxe, or possibly one of the albums published by Canadian Wholesalers, such as the Phoenix Album.

Some collectors turn to auctions where occasionally unused or little used copies of the discontinued larger albums like the Minkus Master Global Album or the Harris Citation Album can be found.

This isn't to knock the smaller Statesman Deluxe Album that is currently carried by most stamp hobby suppliers, since it probably is the best place for anyone new to stamp collecting to start. It's main drawback, besides being limited in scope and size is that with all the blank space it contains, it leaves too much to the imagination. Not that that's all bad, since it is ideally suited to the inexperienced beginner who still doesn't know where he will take the hobby or how long he will continue collecting, and with so much room for stamps without illustrations give him a place to mount just about anything he might acquire.

On the other hand, the Statesman Deluxe Album does have room to hold some 25,000 stamps and in all the years it has been published, most collectors who owned it have never put more than a few hundred or maybe a few thousand stamps into one of them. Yet filling one would be a challenge for any collector!

Edited by wt1 - 06/02/2011 12:16 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
649 Posts
Posted 06/02/2011  05:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi marko1959,

I sent you an e-mail giving you a possible source for the binder. Let me know by e-mail if you receive the e-mail (first time trying the option).

Jerry B

Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 06/03/2011  11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add marko1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Jerry, nope I have not recieved it yet as of today...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
649 Posts
Posted 06/03/2011  12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi marko1959,

Please E-Mail me so I have a place to send the info.

Use a header of SCF-Citation and email to:

jerrybemail-stamps "at" yahoo "dot" com

Jerry B

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05