Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Modern Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

H-Rate Uncle Sam's Hat -- Help to Define Varieties

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10922 Posts

Posted 08/17/2011  12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I've looked at the catalog for awhile now and still can't seem to define the difference between these two H-Rate Stamps:

Size of stamp is different, perforations are different and date is different. The best I can come up with is that one is a Scott 3260 and the other is a 4-sided perf. from a booklet being either a 3268 or 3269.

Is this right? Which one is which? For such a modern issue, it shouldn't be this complex. I have the coils down pretty well, but for whatever reason, I can't figure this one out. (Maybe I've just been looking at it too long!)

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Send note to staff

22crows
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
846 Posts

Posted 08/17/2011  07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Is this of any use to you? 7 variations are depicted on page 100, sadly without any black background.

http://www.mysticstampcatalog.com/l...g/Vol_2_2011

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

I_Love_Stamps
Pillar Of The Community

United States
6674 Posts

Posted 08/17/2011  07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

While I'm certainly no modern stamp expert I can tell from a quick look of a perforation cut difference. 1 possibly being a #3260? serpentine die-cut and the other possibly #3269? self adhesive, die cut 8 on 2,3 or 4 sides? Really confusing to me but I took a stab at it. Sorry. It's called Uncle Sam's Hat.

Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 08/17/2011 07:49 am

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10922 Posts

Posted 08/17/2011  07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for the link. When taking out the coil varieties, it still leads me to the same result as I found in the Scott catalog. As best as I can figure out, since the second stamp shown above is NOT a die cut variety, I'd say that Stamp #2 is a 3260.

On the other hand Stamp #1 (which is die cut approx. perf. 11) is probably either a 3268 (11.2 x 11.1) or 3268b (11 x 11) with perfs on all four sides. What confuses that logic is that the Mystic link above does not define whether 3268 and/or 3268b was from a booklet that could have had perfs. on all 4 sides. When I refer to my 2002 Scott Specialized Catalog it suggests that 3268 and 3268b are known to be die cut on 2, 3 or 4 sides. However, the 2011 USPS Guide to Stamps, suggests that 3268 and 3268b were only available with perfs. on 3 sides. Perhaps that latter reference is in error?

(Edit: 3268 is not an option, as that stamp would have been a die cut perf. 8, whereas Stamp #1 scanned above is definitely die cut in either the 11.2 x 11.1 or 11 x 11 variety. I'm leaning toward the latter (which would be a 3268b), assuming I can confirm the stamp was known to have perfs. on all 4 sides.

Edited by wt1 - 08/17/2011 08:03 am

I_Love_Stamps
Pillar Of The Community

United States
6674 Posts

Posted 08/17/2011  08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The second one I think we got. #3260 2nd, w/o having in hand and a perf measurement I couldn't locate as easily and is oddly very confusing. 2368 or 9 is all could speculate also. Good luck WT1.

Coinsearcher83
Valued Member

United States
108 Posts

Posted 08/17/2011  08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coinsearcher83 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The stamp on the right is a 3260.
The one on the left is *definitely* not a 3269. Those were die cut 8 and the perforations look much different.

3268 was released in a booklet pane of 10, so no stamp would have perfs on four sides.
I'm guessing it's a 3268b, which is part of the 20-stamp booklet, explaining why it has perfs on four sides.

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10922 Posts

Posted 08/17/2011  09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks, Coinsearcher83. I think I am in agreement with your assessment.

Just curious: How did you know that the 3268b is part of 20-stamp booklet that would have had perfs on all four sides? Any idea why the 3268 and 3268b varieties are grouped together in Scott Specialized Catalog as having perfs. on "2, 3 or 4 sides". It seems to me that if the catalog had clarified which one of those varieties had the four sided perfs, it would have helped to more easily identify it.

I_Love_Stamps
Pillar Of The Community

United States
6674 Posts

Posted 08/17/2011  10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

ya know what wt1? I was starring at that same description too and thought it may be #3268b. It would make better sense than the others, but then I thought that is was a listing for whole booklet! So my 2 is that I too agree with Coinsearcher83 and now know how to understand that listing to properly I.D. different ones with the same notation.

Coinsearcher83
Valued Member

United States
108 Posts

Posted 08/17/2011  2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coinsearcher83 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have a 2004 edition of the Postal Service Guide to US Stamps. That and the latest Mystic catalog are my only two sources of reference.

The postal Service catalog lists the 3268 as part of the 10-stamp booklet. My understanding of the 10-stamp booklet is that all stamps have at least one smooth side, as the current ones do. The Guide said that the 3268b came from the 20-stamp booklet, and since these stamps were listed as having perforations on either 2, 3, or 4 sides, I assumed that the 4-sided perfs must come from the 20-stamp booklet.

I might be mistaken, but I just don't see how a 3268 could have perfs on all four sides.

Coinsearcher83
Valued Member

United States
108 Posts

Posted 08/17/2011  2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coinsearcher83 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Oh, and btw, my Postal Guide lists 3268c as an entire booklet of 3268b.. ah, confusing...

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10922 Posts

Posted 08/17/2011  3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks, Coinsearcher83.

It occurs to me that we collectors are going to have the same problem identifying the numerous varieties of the Flag/Fake Statue of Liberty stamps, too, as they already issued ATM panes with some stamps having perforations on all 4 sides, and we're still waiting for the OTC Booklet scheduled to be issued in the next month, not to mention all of the coil varieties from the different printers already out there. However, in the case of the Flag/Fake Statue of Liberty, they didn't issue a sheet version of the stamp, so it may make it a bit easier to isolate the different varieties.

I know this is the very reason why a lot of US collectors gave up on the modern issues, there's just too many varieties out there of the same stamp! On the other hand, I'm always looking for a stamp collecting challenge and I imagine it would give one a sense of satisfaction to acquire all of the possible varieties of any one stamp issue.

Trainwreck
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
572 Posts

Posted 08/17/2011  3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Scott 3268c is a booklet of 20 stamps plus one label, arranged as 3 columns and 7 rows. The lower right position is where the label is located. The middle five stamps in column 2 will have die cuts on all 4 sides, while the remaining 15 stamps and the label (around the periphery) have die cuts on 2 or 3 sides. Sorry, I can't produce a scan at the present time, but if you Google "Scott 3268c" you should be able to come up with a picture (I came up with one on E-bay). All the stamps are Scott 3268b in the booklet of 20.

Regards, Robert

Edited by Trainwreck - 08/17/2011 3:59 pm

oldtriguy1960
Pillar Of The Community

United States
542 Posts

Posted 08/17/2011  10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Jim's Stamps Album sites is a good reference (IMO)

http://album.dweeb.org/pages/1998_50.html

Dave N.
<><

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05