Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Classic Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

1 cent green franklin stamps

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Natural
Valued Member

5 Posts

Posted 07/07/2008  11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add The Natural to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I was on a website a little while ago and it said that these 1 cent green franklins were worth $5,500 used. Does anyone no anything about these or any of the others? Oh and the black ink numbers are just on the outside plastic not the stamp. Any Value? Top left 2nd row franklins.

Heres exactly what the site said:

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
Denomination: 1c
Color: Green
Print Method: Rotary
Perforation: 11 (horizontal)
VALUE:
Unused, NoGum $18,000.00
Used $5,500.00

This is off topic but I have a stamp from Peru with the 3.60 boxed out on the left and the 2.00 stamped on the right. Does anyone have any info about this? Thanks.

Edited by The Natural - 07/08/2008 12:10 am
Send note to staff

Cimarron_Warrior
Pillar Of The Community

USA
939 Posts

Posted 07/08/2008  05:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cimarron_Warrior to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Natural I'm not sure about the Franklins you are asking about but someone else may know about them. As for the Peru stamp that is a "revalue". When a country would run low on one value of stamp they would take surplus from another value and revalue it by blacking out the original value (the 3.60 in this example)and printing a new value on it (the 2.00 in this example). Hope this helps out and I'm sure some of the more seasoned collectors on the forum will be able to add more to this.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

ziggy9
Pillar Of The Community
United States
522 Posts

Posted 07/08/2008  07:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ziggy9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi
My catalog shows nine different varieties of the one cent Franklin. The one that is worth big bucks is #594 perf. 11 on all sides not just horizontal.
Hope this helps some
Richard

desertgem
Valued Member

387 Posts

Posted 07/08/2008  08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add desertgem to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi,

The most common 11 perf stamp is the flat plate version which is less than $2 mint.
The expensive 11 perf stamps are rotary printed which changes the length of one side
of the stamp. 594 and 596 are both perf 11, but 594 is "stretched" horizontally (top
and bottom edge) and 596 is "stretched" vertically ( sides). The difference is a
fraction of a mm ( 1/2 mm) in case of the 594.

I would have said that they were talking about #578 which is rotary press also and
perf 11 x 10, ( 11 horizontally and 10 vertically) , but it is only worth $160 used
which is more than the $85 mint, but not close to the thousands they mention.

578 is available on eBay with buy it now @ 40 for a nice one. Hope this helps and doesn't
confuse. Basically, either their perf description is fuzzy or their pricing.

Jim

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05