Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Main Stamp Collecting Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Captain Tim

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RonD
Valued Member

United States
99 Posts

Posted 10/02/2011  12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add RonD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I just love listening to old radio shows and heard about Captain Tim and the Ivory Stamp Club from the mid-30's. I understand that he had a 15-minute radio show in which he told stories with a stamp tie-in. Too bad I can't find any of those shows. There were two (maybe three?) stamp albums that the H.E. Harris Co. made and sent to kids on request. I was wondering if any of you have any of those albums? If so were they from your family or found elsewhere? I just bought two of them on eBay last week. No stamps but that's OK. One arrived yesterday and the other has yet to arrive. I'm not going to put anything in it but I just think it's a pretty nice little piece of history.

Send note to staff

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6310 Posts

Posted 10/05/2011  3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

That would be neat to listen to the old shows. Most want video now but with bad eyes the other senses pick up and take up the slack so I like, and always have liked, radio shows. The imagination fills in the visual holes.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

RonD
Valued Member

United States
99 Posts

Posted 10/05/2011  3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RonD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Those old shows are nice. There is a website, you already may be aware of, called archive.org where they have an Old Time Radio section. Just about every old radio show that has ever been broadcast (except Captain Tim) can be downloaded from there. I frequently go there to see if anyone has uploaded them but nothing yet.
I know what you mean with your video comment. We do live in an age of immediate gratification and an "I don't want to put forth any effort to be entertained" mentality. Maybe that's why there are not many young stamp collectors. The pace is too slow. But oh, what they are missing...

Ajnabii
Valued Member

430 Posts

Posted 10/05/2011  4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ajnabii to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Have you googled old time radio? There are several sites where you can download those oldtime shows for free in mp3 format. The copywrite on them is gone now from what I've been told. So, it's all legal. Also, Itunes and live365.com have internet radio stations which play the old shows too. I usually prefer to listen on netradio as opposed to downloading them. OTR is another thing that I listen to while stamping. :)

RonD
Valued Member

United States
99 Posts

Posted 10/05/2011  4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RonD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

And I thought that I was the only one that did that!

It-is-later-than-you-think.......

ncbuckeye
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
1128 Posts

Posted 10/05/2011  4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ncbuckeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The "Ivory" in the title was due to it's sponsor being Ivory soap. Here is a picture of the stamp album cover.
http://www.americanhistory.si.edu/a..._advertising

RonD
Valued Member

United States
99 Posts

Posted 10/05/2011  4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RonD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I just got that album last week and the one pictured below just came in this past weekend. There were no stamps in them but that was fine with me. I like them just for their story. As a matter of fact, I printed off an 8x10 photo of the one pictured below about five years ago (I found it on the internet somewhere). I framed it and have it hanging in my living room. When my friends come around they just look at it, look at me, then roll their eyes! Well, not EVERYONE gets it!

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6310 Posts

Posted 10/05/2011  4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a link to a script of a Feb 1, 1941 show called Calling All Stamp Collectors from NBC with Captain Tim Healy (an Australian Army officer):
http://genericradio.com/show.php?id=Q9LM2Q842

From Wikipedia about H.E.Harris:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ellis_Harris

Quote:
Stamp Club

Procter & Gamble sponsored the radio show, "Ivory Stamp Club of the Air" during the Great Depression. The show was hosted by "Captain Tim" Healy, an authentic explorer and world traveler. H. E. Harris was contracted by P&G to send each new club member a stamp album, badge and packet of stamps in exchange for an Ivory soap wrapper. To receive more stamp packets, members could send two soap wrappers and 10ΒΆ. When the last show was broadcast in 1936, the club had 2.5 million members. Many of them became Harris customers and helped build the company into one of the largest stamp businesses in the world.

Rileysan
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2568 Posts

Posted 10/05/2011  4:39 pm  Show Profile Check Rileysan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The copywrite on them is gone now from what I've been told. So, it's all legal.

I can't speak about this broadcast in particular, but copyright laws vary. It is always in your best interest to be certain!

This is from a free law advice website ...

http://law.freeadvice.com/intellect...otection.htm

Quote:
"The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors. Copyright protection may be affected if the copyright has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. Generally, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author or copyright owner plus an additional 70 years. For example, if the author is now age 21 and lives 75 more years, copyright protection would last for 125 years."

"You don't have to renew your copyright to maintain copyright protection, but it would be good to do so in certain situations. Copyrights for works published or registered before January 1, 1978 may be renewed after 28 years. Because after a time, copyrights can become part of the public domain (widely known and available for unrestricted use), renewing older copyrights has some legal advantages."

Rileysan
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2568 Posts

Posted 10/05/2011  4:41 pm  Show Profile Check Rileysan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We do live in an age of immediate gratification and an "I don't want to put forth any effort to be entertained" mentality

Of course! Why else would I be on SCF during work hours?

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6310 Posts

Posted 10/05/2011  5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A Captain Tim stamp album from H.E.Harris

Sail the Seven Seas and explore the world by collecting stamps!

edit: forgot link to Whitman Books, the new owner of Harris.
http://www.whitmanbooks.com/default.aspx?page=113

Edited by Puzzler - 10/05/2011 5:11 pm

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10364 Posts

Posted 10/05/2011  6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Some may be interested in this 1985 obituary for Doug Storer, who was involved in this radio broadcast:

Quote:
Columnist, Radio Pioneer Doug Storer, 86, Dies

December 07, 1985 | From Times Wire Services

CLEARWATER, Fla. — Doug Storer, author of the newspaper column "Amazing But True" and a pioneer in radio broadcasting, died at a hospital here of congestive heart failure Wednesday. He was 86.

Storer was the author of more than 20 Amazing But True books, hundreds of newspaper columns and cartoons and radio and television specials. Three years ago he published his 21st book, a 454-page "Encyclopedia of Amazing But True Facts."

He was with a New York advertising agency in the 1930s when he teamed with Capt. Tim Healy, an Australian veteran of World War I who told stories about the origins of postage stamps. Storer booked time on small radio stations in New England and launched the "Ivory Stamp Club of the Air," on which he would exhort children to use Ivory soap and send in wrappers and pennies to buy stamps.

Earlier he adapted Robert L. Ripley's "Believe It or Not" for national radio.

Here's a link to a newspaper article that refers to the Ivory Soap and "Captain Tim's Ivory Stamp Club of the Air" promotion:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...79%2C3052865

Edited by wt1 - 10/05/2011 8:33 pm

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10364 Posts

Posted 10/05/2011  8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

If this obituary for his son, Timothy S. Healy is accurate, it sounds like many of the references recited above are wrong, in that the voice of "Captain Tim and the Ivory Stamp Club of the Air" was actually one, Reginald Stafford Healy, who had a son Tim. To quote from the link provided below:

Quote:
Father Healy was born in Manhattan on April 25, 1923. His father, Reginald Stafford Healy, an Australian, came to the United States and Texas to study petroleum engineering after fighting in World War I. "I belong to all the Irish societies," Father Healy once said, "but I'm not Irish. I am probably the linear descendant of an 18th-century sheep thief."

His mother, Margaret Vaeth Healy, was a schoolteacher in Gainesville, Tex. The family moved to New York, where the elder Healy ran the business side of a small oil company. After the business collapsed in 1929, he took various jobs, his son later recalled, including conducting a children's radio program called "Captain Tim's Stamp Club of the Air" on NBC.

It seems to me that possibly "Captain Tim" was a better name for the airwaves than "Captain Reg" or "Captain Reginald".

Anyway, as noted in the link below his son had quite a noted history in his own right.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/01/n...d=all&src=pm

I_Love_Stamps
Pillar Of The Community

United States
6348 Posts

Posted 10/05/2011  8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Archive.org would most likely have them all.
Here is the link but you'll most likely have to try different search words and word "strings".
http://www.archive.org/search.php?q...aptain%20Tim

Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 10/05/2011 8:42 pm

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10364 Posts

Posted 10/05/2011  8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just to get an illustration in, here's an image of the badge/pin (if you were a member):

Also, check out pages 56-57 at this link:

http://www.stamps.org/ap/AP-Februar...-low-res.pdf

Edited by wt1 - 10/05/2011 8:55 pm

RonD
Valued Member

United States
99 Posts

Posted 10/06/2011  07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RonD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

All I can say is wow. I have really found out more than I was expecting when I initially started this Captain Tim thread. For a while I thought that I wouldn't get any bites on it.

wt1, thanks for the info on his father and the pin picture. Those were things that I never knew.

Puzzler, I really liked that radio script that you found.

Let me say again that with less than a week as a member I'm very impressed with all of you here. It's nice when you can find a group of people that really get it about stamp collecting. I don't know why I didn't find this web site sooner.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05