Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Main Stamp Collecting Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Please Identify Foreign Writing

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SueStamps
Valued Member
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
487 Posts

Posted 10/08/2011  11:49 am  Show Profile Check SueStamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I have not seen this writing before.
What country is this stamp from please?
Thank you,
SueStamps

Send note to staff

khj
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5750 Posts

Posted 10/08/2011  12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

In the Scott catalog, North Korea #1346(25Jun1975)

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

khj
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5750 Posts

Posted 10/08/2011  12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Also, your stamp is CTO (canceled-to-order), not a genuine postally used stamp. Genuine postally used stamps from North Korea are difficult to get.

SueStamps
Valued Member

United States
487 Posts

Posted 10/08/2011  12:22 pm  Show Profile Check SueStamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

khj,
Thank you sooooo much. I really appreciate it.
I have already added a little note with the stamp with the information.

That's very interesting that North Korean stamps are hard to come by. I wonder why?

I have a lot of CTO stamps and enjoy them (almost) as much as the other stamps.

Thanks again, many many THANKS!
SueStamps

khj
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5750 Posts

Posted 10/08/2011  12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It is illegal to bring in stamps from North Korea into the US.

However, the fact is CTO's, including many first day cancels, are quite plentiful. Genuine postally used stamps are a different story. Let's just say the private mail volume in North Korea is not a whole lot. Finding someone willing to collect them and smuggle them out of North Korea is also not that easy. I don't think I've ever physically seen a genuine non-government cover mailed out of North Korea through the general mailstream, although I do believe there is some mail volume that streams north through China. North Korea is such a closed society.

SueStamps
Valued Member

United States
487 Posts

Posted 10/08/2011  12:45 pm  Show Profile Check SueStamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
khj wrote:
It is illegal to bring in stamps from North Korea into the US.

However, the fact is CTO's, including many first day cancels, are quite plentiful. Genuine postally used stamps are a different story. Let's just say the private mail volume in North Korea is not a whole lot. Finding someone willing to collect them and smuggle them out of North Korea is also not that easy. I don't think I've ever physically seen a genuine non-government cover mailed out of North Korea through the general mailstream, although I do believe there is some mail volume that streams north through China. North Korea is such a closed society.

Wow, that is fascinating !
I printed out what you wrote and have added a new page, thanks to you, in my stamp album. I love learning about stuff like this!
Thanks again!
SueStamps

beezer
Valued Member

United States
156 Posts

Posted 10/08/2011  12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add beezer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

SueStamps,

Here is the link to the Korea Stamp Society if interested in learning more about stamps from North Korea. :)

http://www.pennfamily.org/KSS-USA/kss-main.html

Additionally, here's a link to a dutch stamp dealer who was arrested in North Korea in August!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/..._926935.html

SueStamps
Valued Member

United States
487 Posts

Posted 10/08/2011  1:03 pm  Show Profile Check SueStamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

beezer,
Thank you for the links.
I read a thread on this forum where someone has created a database using Excel and that is what I just did. I will now put all the website links that people post into it.

Great article too. I did not know that North Korea allowed tourists. I am "from" Seoul, but was abandoned, no birth certificate...so who knows, I could actually been born up north!

Thanks again!
(Sook-Hee) SueStamps!

khj
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5750 Posts

Posted 10/08/2011  1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a dutch stamp dealer who was arrested in North Korea in August!

The border between North and South Korea is heavily militarized. But there is a bustling smuggling operation at the border between China and North Korea. Very risky if you get caught, especially if you are a North Korean national.

Sue, glad that you were able to make it to the US!

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10153 Posts

Posted 10/08/2011  1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This web site link was provided earlier, but I suggest you advance toward the bottom of this page and read about the extreme variations between known catalog values for any given stamp from North Korea:

http://www.pennfamily.org/KSS-USA/nk-warning.htm

PoStat4evR
Pillar Of The Community

United States
585 Posts

Posted 10/08/2011  2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Somewhere in my boxes of envelopes (I keep everything as it comes in - minus metered mail - intact on envelope).
One of my other hobbies is Short Wave Listenting and Amateur RAdio. If memory serves me correctly, I did receiveive a letter - with stamps) posted from North Korea several years back from a Amateur Radio operator, as well as a letter (I think with stamps) from Voice of Korea in Pyongyang years ago as well. I figured if I can get a ltter to them, they can get a letter to me. Seemed to work. If you truely want to get mail from any country, you can always write to their Government sponsored short wave station and ask for a program schedule, and while you have their attention, ask if they could use postage stamps on their return letter. Throw in a couple of bucks to cover their expenses and "poof" you have a nice cover from somewhere!
If you need addresses for any station in any country drop me an email and I will get one to you.

Some of my favorites that I have received are from Tibet and Nepal (Tibet even threw in some extra stamps for my collection).

If, for some reason, the post office deems your mail as "not deliverable", you get a nice returned cover back with auxillary markings! So, it is a win-win thing.

Ajnabii
Valued Member

430 Posts

Posted 10/08/2011  3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ajnabii to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

When I was in junior high (early 1980s) I had a friend who used to send letters/envelopes to made up addresses overseas just so that they'd get all those cool cancellations and overprints before being returned.
I'd love to know if he's still got all those covers now.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05