Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Modern Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Lady Liberty/Flag Stamp Varieties - Which Stamp Is This?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10186 Posts

Posted 10/14/2011  6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Okay, now that the Lady Liberty/Flag Stamps have been issued in coils and ATM booklets and standard booklets and all by various printers such as Ashton Potter, Sennett and Avery, how do you tell them apart when only one stamp is provided as taken off a piece of regular first class mail (as in this example)?

Shall I assume the simplest way is to identify the perforations? It's definitely a coil stamp (issued in 2010, even though the date on the stamp reads 2011) and, I believe it to be the perf. 9.5 die cut, so that would make this example a Scott No. 4487, right?

I know there is a variation in the microprinting, but with a cancellation that obscures it somewhat, and even with scanning the stamp at 1200 dpi, I still can't make out for certain that it's the "4evR" microprint, which makes it an Ashton-Potter (APU) printed stamp.

If anyone winds up collecting these in any quantity, I expect that it's going to be a real challenge to correctly separate all of the different varieties offered on this issue.

Send note to staff

Trainwreck
Pillar Of The Community
United States
532 Posts

Posted 10/14/2011  9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

wt1,
The die cut gauge is probably the best indicator for determining the identification of the stamp. Then that can be confirmed by the format of the microprinting ("4evr", "4evR" or "4EVR"). Your stamp is indeed Scott 4487, die cut 9 1/2 vert., printed by Ashton-Potter. The square corners on this stamp also can be used as an identification point (also, the shape and number of die cut peaks on each side can be used to help identify). I'm currently putting together a cheat sheet that lists all these salient features to assist me with identification.
Regards, Robert

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10186 Posts

Posted 10/14/2011  9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks. I'd be interested in seeing your "cheat sheet" when you get it together. The best way that I've been able to identify the stamps is to compare it to another that is positively identified (as in a mint plate number strip, etc.) but figured there had to be an easier way.

Trainwreck
Pillar Of The Community
United States
532 Posts

Posted 10/16/2011  12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

wt1,
Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send out what I have.
Regards, Robert

clintd
Valued Member

United States
262 Posts

Posted 10/16/2011  2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add clintd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Robert, Why not post the "cheat sheet" as a new topic? Maybe other folks can add to it.

Trainwreck
Pillar Of The Community
United States
532 Posts

Posted 10/16/2011  4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It's a chart saved as a .odt or .pdf file. I'm not sure how to post the chart into a message without it becoming an unreadable mess.

Regards, Robert

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10186 Posts

Posted 10/16/2011  8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Trainwreck kindly sent me an e-mail with the referenced attachments and agreed that I could post his work here, so here it goes (along with his disclaimer):

Quote:
Feel free to post it. Just one disclaimer. The information may be subject to change to correct errors. For example, a poster on the VSC has listed the die cut gauges and image sizes for the different booklet stamps (three convertible booklets and the ATM pane). Apparently, there are differences in the die cut gauges for the booklet stamps. I've only examined the Avery-printed booklet stamps, so assumed the other convertible booklet stamps had the same gauge for the chart. That data on the chart may have to be revised.

Wil Bobbin
Valued Member
121 Posts

Posted 10/24/2011  06:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wil Bobbin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The die cuts of the two pairs are the same. If you flip the top one vertically and place it face down, the die cuts will line up.

oldtriguy1960
Pillar Of The Community

United States
542 Posts

Posted 11/27/2011  10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Trainwreck,

Have you got an update with the Scott #s of mthe booklet varieties?

Or anyone else have the Scott #s.

I'm finding that the 4evR is way more plentiful in use than the others.

Dave N.
<><

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10186 Posts

Posted 11/27/2011  11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Is this what you're looking for?

Trainwreck
Pillar Of The Community
United States
532 Posts

Posted 11/27/2011  4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here's my updated sorting chart with the booklet stamp Scott catalog numbers. I have not examined all the coil and booklet varieties, so be aware, there are still blanks and question marks. I also look for die cut varieties, and have made assumptions about the existence of some varieties, but these are subject to change.

Cheers, Robert

oldtriguy1960
Pillar Of The Community

United States
542 Posts

Posted 11/27/2011  5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Trainwreck and WT1

Dave N.
<><

Trainwreck
Pillar Of The Community
United States
532 Posts

Posted 11/28/2011  10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The December 12 edition of Linn's Stamp News (available on-line now) has an article titled "Identifying the 14 different Lady Liberty and Flag forever stamps". The article is presented across 3 pages and is very comprehensive.

Cheers, Robert

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15560 Posts

Posted 11/28/2011  10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Where do we look for the microprinting?

Trainwreck
Pillar Of The Community
United States
532 Posts

Posted 11/28/2011  10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

rod222,
Location of microprinting:
Lady Liberty-to the right of the statue's left eye near the hairline.
American Flag-in the flag's bottom red stripe in the foreground.
It's the same location for the coil and booklet versions of each stamp.

Regards, Robert

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10186 Posts

Posted 11/28/2011  10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I pointed out the location of the microprinting for this issue in this previous thread:

http://www.stampcommunity.org/topic...PIC_ID=18592

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05