Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Main Stamp Collecting Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Stamp Enthusiasts Preserve Old Hobby in Digital Age

Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KGV Collector
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

Australia
2608 Posts

Posted 11/01/2011  12:45 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Have a life changing stamp collecting experience join SCF now!

SCF Rules

Where are those lurkers?

Always Happy Stamping. KGV

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

finches
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
683 Posts

Posted 11/01/2011  01:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
vanishing immediately when told their "amazing find" is worth a few cents at best.

Cephus. yes, common in stamp forums.

It's difficult to know how a new collector will feel/act once their question receives answers. In the long run best action is straight forward honest replies, without public humiliation (Aust-SB's).

After the penny drops - maturity, many of these people re-new their stamp interest with real understanding of the word Hobby and that hobby's cost money not fund a new car/house. IMO

KGV Collector
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
2608 Posts

Posted 11/01/2011  06:55 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hello finches!
I have been thinking about your comment while I have been up to my neck in stamps today which is a great feeling.

A dealer once told me the saddest thing that he had to do as a seller was to tell the wife's who were looking for money to bury their husband, to find out his stamp collection, he kept telling his wife was worth $1000s, turns out to be worth not very much at all.

I will never forget this. It is best not to be delusional about one's hobby! You just do not know who it will bite! KGV.

artlaunier
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1213 Posts

Posted 11/01/2011  09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add artlaunier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A rule of thumb I use is to determine the catalog value of your collection then take 10% of that number to determine the actual value. You'll then come closer to reality. Then again, if that's why you are collecting, your setting yourself up for disappointment.

Art

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (The exact & entire wording of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)

revenuecollector
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1305 Posts

Posted 11/01/2011  11:54 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Another thing that people frequently find counterintuitive when being informed that their "collection" has no value is the notion that 70-year-old stamps are NOT considered "old". The vast majority of the time, when a neophyte says "I have some very old stamps..." they are talking about stamps that are 30-50 years old, i.e., from the 1960s and 1970s.

The fact that stamps from that era are considered "new" or "modern" isn't going to sit well with someone who thinks their accumulation is worth a fortune. Their first reaction is that you're trying to rip them off.

As a general rule, you literally have to go back 80 years before you find anything of any real value. When I show people mint stamps from the 1930s and 1940s, i.e., BEFORE World War II, and tell them that I can buy those stamps by the thousands for less than face value, they are immediately turned off by stamp collecting.

When I think of all the people that bought plate blocks and full sheets in the 1960s-90s as "investments" I shudder. It's about as worthwhile as having bought mint sets and proof sets from the U.S. mint from that time period. Almost without exception, over the long term, they have all lost money, or at best stayed even... none have actually gone up in value.

A few weeks ago I bought a book full of plate blocks of 20 that were lovingly put together in oversized hingeless mounts (think of what those cost). I got the book for about 75% of face.

To the non-collector, it must seem like "Why in heck would I ever put money into this???"

mrprgrmr
Valued Member

United States
76 Posts

Posted 11/01/2011  1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrprgrmr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Yes, there is a popular misconception that any old stamp is valuable... It is wrong, but as someone who recently restarted collecting, that is part of what makes stamp collecting very accessible.

The internet has only made it more so. I'm at the stage of filling in my collections with inexpensive stuff... Right now, I can go on eBay or wherever and buy enough to entertain me for hours for a few bucks When I find a stamp about a subject I don't know about, I can look it up on Wikipedia and learn even more than I ever would have otherwise.

Try that with any other hobby... how much model railroad equipment can you get for a few bucks? Maybe a couple plastic trees? How much does a single part for that classic car cost you (been there done that )?

Yes, as I start needing to complete sets with higher value stamps, I will probably need to spend more per stamp but I can do it at my own pace and a very reasonable budget. In the meantime, I am learning which dealers I can trust to sell me a nice stamp or two along with a history lesson at a fair price - and which to avoid like the plague.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05