Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Main Stamp Collecting Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Montfort's Envelope and Postage Stamp Vending Machine (1893)

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10938 Posts

Posted 10/29/2011  12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

A recent SCF thread displayed some seemingly antique vending machines designed for dispensing postage stamps, which prompted me to occasionally check eBay listings for some unusual (or unusually old) stamp vending machine examples.

I just came up with this one, dating all the way back to 1893. Unfortunately, the auction is for the wooden box only; not the mechanics, but with the name and date of the object, I found the US Patent for the item.

I thought this item looked especially unusual and could very well be one of the first "vending machines" used for the intended purpose of dispensing stamps and envelopes.

Has anyone ever heard or seen this example before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-STAMP-...t_500wt_1156

Send note to staff

Russ
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2547 Posts

Posted 10/29/2011  2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting item. Actually patented by Joseph A. Poff of Lawrence, Kansas (patent 489,830). Would be a great item if the internal works were with it.

Edited by Russ - 10/29/2011 2:17 pm
Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10938 Posts

Posted 10/29/2011  2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Abram C. Montfort of Pawtucket, RI had an older patent. Check 489683. Here's an illustration:

(Not sure who had the patent for the particular machine illustrated in the eBay auction. Maybe a collaboration between both, since the unit is said to be an envelope and stamp vending machine?)

Interesting that both were patented on the same day.

Edited by wt1 - 10/29/2011 2:45 pm

melvin getlan
1 Posts

Posted 05/25/2013  3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melvin getlan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

can I get any images you have of the Monfort machine that was on this site and anyother info you might have?

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10938 Posts

Posted 05/25/2013  3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Surprisingly, I found I actually saved the scanned photo from that old eBay listing. Here it is:

1847bill
Pillar Of The Community
United States
519 Posts

Posted 05/25/2013  7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

That would be cool to have a working one. Nice looking box. It cracks me up they included a bell in the mechanism. I guess it gave the impression to the user they got a little extra for their pennies.

davenumber40
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts

Posted 05/26/2013  4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davenumber40 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

There are a couple of pages about vending machines and illustrations of different perforations in the Standard Handbook of Stamp Collecting. All these though reference the early 20th century.

For those who haven't read it, it's a decent read.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05