Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Modern Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Just What We Don't Need: Another 2012 Forever Stamp!

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10933 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  12:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Just what we don't need: Yet another 2012 Forever Stamp announced by the US Postal Service slated for April 2012, commemorating Louisiana's Statehood. Here's the official news release:

http://about.usps.com/news/national...pr11_130.htm

I've now lost count of the number of face different stamps being announced for 2012. Whatever the number, I figure it's now well beyond my budget for new issue stamp purchases.

Send note to staff

finches
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
683 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  02:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Wr1, how are you my friend.

In Australia there's never been a 'Forever' stamp issued (i think). What is the principle behind their issue and use ? Do they initially cost a little more/less but have a unlimited use-by period ?. What sort of application - Domestic ? Can they be used on overseas mail ? etc etc.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

khj
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
5796 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  02:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is the principle behind their issue and use?

Consumer never has to worry about whether the stamp they have will cover the current 1st class postage rate. Post office doesn't have to worry about producing/delivering/selling small denomination stamps to meet the needs of those who still have stocks of pre-hike stamps.

Quote:
Do they initially cost a little more/less but have a unlimited use-by period?

Cost the same as current first class rate. "Forever" is a relative word. USPS can always declare bankruptcy, or USPS or government can change the rules and demonetize stamps at any time. A stamp is not a "forever" binding legal contract.

Quote:
What sort of application - Domestic ? Can they be used on overseas mail ? etc etc

In 1995, UPU approved the use of non-denominated stamps on international mail. So the US forever stamps can be used as 44c stamps (45c after Jan 22, 2012) toward the payment of the international rate.

Edited by khj - 11/30/2011 02:55 am

finches
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
683 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  03:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Khj, a sincere thank you.

Yes, it does make sense to reduce costs by not making/delivering small denomination make-up value stamps.

khj
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5796 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  03:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...how are you my friend.

You know, when I first read that, I was puzzled because I mis-read it, and then I chuckled. There are two ways to read that phrase, depending what which word you are stressing...

...how ARE YOU, my friend? -- sounds pretty friendly, buddy greeting

and

...HOW are you my friend? -- put you on the spot, prove it!

rohumpy
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1850 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  05:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Have to agree wt1, I stopped about half way through this year buying the new issues at the PO. It was just getting out of hand. Everytime I went in, there was something new. Since I was collecting the sheetlets of 20 stamps, each sheetlet was $8.80 a pop. I know I could have settled for singles, but just how do you collect a mint single from a sheetlet? If you remove the stamp from the sheet, just what do you attach it to and if you do, is the stamp still mint?

I guess one solution is to collect used, go in buy one stamp and send the cover to yourself.

Edited by rohumpy - 11/30/2011 05:50 am

Ajnabii
Valued Member

430 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  06:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ajnabii to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have kind of written off collecting any recent US issues. When I'm home in the US I'll buy them for usage and for friends abroad who
collect US material, but the majority of the self adhesive "forever" issues seem more like stickers to me than stamps. It's a real pity to see
the majority of the new US issues like that. I can only imagine what collectors will think about these things 100 years from now!

Ajnabii
Valued Member

430 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  06:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ajnabii to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Then again, they may be using these "forever" issues 100 years from now... after all their value is "FOREVER".

finches
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
683 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ajnabii, a 100 years from now:

I honestly think that the USA may eventually self implode/extinguish due to debt.

Right now if the debt was lined up end for end in $1 bills it would take a Jet 200 years to reach the last bill traveling at 1000 kph none stop.

When one borrows there comes a time when one almost stops spending on non-essentials to enable their home debt to be re-payed in a time period of 10 - 25 years depending how diligent one's money is used.

The Government will have to do same and the economic result is obvious - nothing for free or end up like ALL great nations in history.

Edited by finches - 11/30/2011 12:04 pm

jetjock
Valued Member

United States
6 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jetjock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I do think the image on this stamp is beautiful. I agree with what is said above about the FOREVER program and that it might/will have adverse effect down the road.

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10933 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I should also mention that according to the "Beyond the Perf" website, there is yet another announcement of a new issue due on December 5, 2011.

khj
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5796 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Right now if the debt was lined up end for end in $1 bills it would take a Jet 200 years to reach the last bill traveling at 1000 kph none stop.

They've already got a solution for that problem. In the future, they will simply print shorter bills.

kuhli
Valued Member

USA
438 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuhli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

or spend another billion or so to help develop faster jets!

khj
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5796 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
or spend another billion or so to help develop faster jets!

Which the government will first provide to bail out the CEOs and CFOs, so that they can get to their monthly meetings in Hawaii and the French Riviera on time.

Our government is so thoughtful and well-planned...

lpmiller
Valued Member

United States
488 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lpmiller to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Tying in to Ajnabii's comments about the current US stamps appearing to be "stickers", I've wondered lately about the shelf life of the gum on the self-adhesive stamps. As we've all seen the gum on the old "licked" stamps holds up amazing well as long as it stays dry and undisturbed. Don't know if the PO has done any studies on it, but I'm not so sure that the gum on those "stickers" will actually last very long. It scares me to think of a well protected mint collection self-destructing despite a collector's best efforts to protect it. Any thoughts?

KirkS

United States
3777 Posts

Posted 11/30/2011  6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KirkS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

If I could bring this topic back to the Original Post ...

I respectfully disagree, WT1. I think a State Bicentennial is exactly the type of thing that is worthy of a commemorative stamp.

Now if you'd like to debate the stamp-worthiness of shirts, bicycles, and weather vanes, then I share your concerns. And I agree in general about the escalating cost of collecting new issues.

KirkS

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05