Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 World Back of Book

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

1856 British Guyana One Cent Black on Magenta

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ymc91356
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts

Posted 12/06/2011  6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ymc91356 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

British Guyana (Guiana) One Cent Black on Magenta
Facsimile word stamped on the back.
Looks very old stamp.
Not new stamp at all.
Possible previous owner think its a copy of facsimile.
Stamped "facsimile" by himself.
I did research online: 1856 exit some copy of facsimile used.
I am wondering how much its market value now?
I asked another stamp expert. He is not sure.

Send note to staff

stallzer
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
3733 Posts

Posted 12/06/2011  6:54 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It is exactly what it states it is....a facsimile. Look at the circular date stamp it's a rubber hand stamp if I've ever sen one. Here is what the original looked like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:B...uiana_13.jpg

Value would be anyone's guess as it's a novelty item. You can find these on eBay for a Dollar or Two.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Br-Guiana-S...em2eb9c2cdf0

Edited by stallzer - 12/06/2011 7:01 pm
Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

chasa
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1204 Posts

Posted 12/06/2011  6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The guy you asked was no expert.

Cjd
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4910 Posts

Posted 12/06/2011  7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nothing about the stamp in that scan looks old. 1956, maybe, but 1856? Sure doesn't look it. If I had to guess, I'd guess 2006.

It looks like someone was trying to remove the "facsimile" from the back, which is pointless, because the back looks nothing like the 1856 issue. (Unless someone was hoping to sell it on eBay to a starry-eyed dreamer...guess I can't rule that out.)

It really shouldn't be worth twenty cents, but someone might pay a dollar or two for the novelty factor.

That's my 2d.

Rileysan
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2612 Posts

Posted 12/06/2011  7:19 pm  Show Profile Check Rileysan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

"Facsimile" means that it is a copy, not authentic, fake. It is VERY easy to make a copy of a stamp and make it look old. However, this stamp does not look old in any way, shape or form. And as Stallzer stated, facsimiles are readily available and not valuable.

As an aside, if there were another one of these found, it would be unlikely to have had the corners cut, as this one has been.

This link contains more information on the history of this unique stamp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...a_1c_magenta

Brian

ymc91356
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts

Posted 12/06/2011  7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ymc91356 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

http://www.coinsusallecollection.co...%20world.htm

I never said it is genius stamp.
I dont care about how much it worth.
Just fun to explore the history.
According from the link, British Guyana (Guiana) first stamp has many colors and styles.

Cjd
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4910 Posts

Posted 12/06/2011  8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
British Guyana (Guiana) first stamp has many colors and styles.

The stamp actually replicates Scott #13. There were several stamps issued prior to this one. It was basically an emergency issue printed locally to fill a need when regular supplies of stamps had run low. The quality was so bad that the initials were added, not as a cancellation, but as a control mark to try to prevent forgeries.

With all due respect to the creators of the site you linked to, they've just pulled together some scans from different places, and the write up appears cobbled together from different sources, with indifferent editing.

lithograving
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
3072 Posts

Posted 12/06/2011  8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I would think that this stamp on stamp from Guyana printed
in 1967 is older than that inkjet creation at the top of the page.

And at 20c catalog worth a heck of a lot more.

Maybe I should cut it out and try selling it on eBay. As a facsimile
ofcourse.

AnthonyUK
Pillar Of The Community

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted 12/07/2011  04:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

You should return it as it is not a facsimile as you can see the differences in the frame between the original.
Facsimiles are often the only way some people can ever hope to see some of the extremely rare and valuable items.
Some are better than others though

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15567 Posts

Posted 12/07/2011  07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

There [was] another Brit Guiana magenta in Engand
but a news presenter destroyed it by dropping it into her cup of tea.

scotzm
Pillar Of The Community

United Kingdom
995 Posts

Posted 12/07/2011  08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

As ymc91356 mentions... it can be interesting to look at the history, even of a facsimile. You could check out that hinge remnant (if that's what it is),the paper or the writing on the back. Maybe ball point, maybe some other older type of ink. The fact that it has that possible hinge may indicate a period before hingeless albums. Nice to get a date or period even if it is a copy

DStamp
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts

Posted 12/07/2011  1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

When DuPont, the last owner, died, news sources reported that the famed stamp was not found.
Has anyone seen a report that it has been found???

stallzer
Pillar Of The Community

United States
3733 Posts

Posted 12/07/2011  2:29 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Rumor has it that it went into his safe deposit box, no news since his death though. Also, I don't believe that the BG Magenta was the first Stamp British Guiana issued.

tonymacg
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
3304 Posts

Posted 12/07/2011  6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It's SG 23 ...

scotzm
Pillar Of The Community

United Kingdom
995 Posts

Posted 03/09/2014  1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

as an update... the genuine stamp goes up for auction in June this year. It has not fared well since last seen in 1986.

Then (enhanced image)...

Now (actual image)...

lithograving's posting of the stamp on stamp from Guyana showed how the designers had to use a VASTLY enhanced image.

!0 -20 million pounds is the estimated auction price. Keep hold of your copies,fakes and forgeries... they will soon look better than the original.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05