Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Modern Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

The difference between "reissued" & "reprinted' stamps?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10784 Posts

Posted 01/14/2012  12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

The latest USA Philatelic offers three versions of a coil stamp for the 1-cent Tiffany Lamp definitive, shown as follows:

I have the 2009 "reissue" which looks essentially the same as the previous stamp and yet still retains the 2008 date.

However, if the USPS is now designating a separate stock number to differentiate a 2011 "reprint" of the 10K coil stamp, does that mean the most recent addition to the series will have a 2011 date on it?

It's probably worth 25 cents to just include a strip of 25 in my next order to SFS to find out, but since there was apparently no previous announcement to the philatelic community about the October 2011 reprint of the stamp, it seems as though it could make for yet another collectible variety.

Send note to staff

lpmiller
Valued Member
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
487 Posts

Posted 01/14/2012  11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lpmiller to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Very interesting! I'll be watching to see if, in fact, you discover there was a date change.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

mrprgrmr
Valued Member

United States
76 Posts

Posted 01/14/2012  12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrprgrmr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have the 2009 "reissue" which looks essentially the same as the previous stamp and yet still retains the 2008 date.

So, how do you tell the difference between the 2009 "reissue" and the original 2008 stamp?

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10784 Posts

Posted 01/14/2012  2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The first US Tiffany Lamp Coil stamp was Scott #3758 issued in 2003 and it is easy to tell apart from the others, as it has the "2003" date and the no microprinting was included. (I don't have a copy at hand to scan here).

As for the 2008 and 2009 issues, the differences are between the 3K and 10K coils. They are not Scott catalog listed, as they both come under Scott #3758A. The differences are subtle but they are there, plus both these examples have the USPS microprinting on the base of the stamp just below the shade:

mrprgrmr
Valued Member

United States
76 Posts

Posted 01/15/2012  08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrprgrmr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks. So far, my only copy is a 2003 :)

TinMan
Pillar Of The Community

United States
843 Posts

Posted 01/15/2012  09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TinMan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Do they just do this to confuse everybody and make money by selling without changing the dies?

Cimarron_Warrior
Pillar Of The Community

USA
939 Posts

Posted 01/15/2012  12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cimarron_Warrior to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I wonder the same thing Tinman. It makes no sense to me to make so many differences and specially when the main selling difference is size of coils, wht cant they print them all the same and just do different amounts, it can't be that hard.

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10784 Posts

Posted 01/30/2012  6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just received the 1c Tiffany Lamp Coil "reprint" from USPS SFS today. Here is another scan of the same two stamps shown previously against the 2010 "reprint". Looks almost identical, with the same 2008 date in the bottom margin:

The only two differences I see are:

<1> The third stamp (reprint) has a definite vertical stroke look to the olive green border that is not typical of the earlier stamps; and

<2> There are no backstamped numbers on the reverse side of the reprinted stamp.

For those interested, here's a close up of the plate number used on the reprint (virtually the same as the previous two varieties):

Cjd
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4910 Posts

Posted 01/30/2012  8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It looks like there is much more blue in the highlighted area, vis-a-vis the middle stamp:

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10784 Posts

Posted 01/30/2012  8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I think all of the pieces are blue; the Reprint looks as if it uses a more intense blue color. Interesting.

ThomasGalloway
Valued Member

217 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Last year the USPS "reprinted" the Liberty Bell stamped envelope. The date that was integrated into the design (previously "2009") was changed to "2011".

I_Love_Stamps
Pillar Of The Community

United States
6583 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

See it's posts like this wt1 that make me get up and have to dig out all my modern stuff...lol I try so hard to keep it pre '76 but to avail. Thank you because I needed something new to stare at tonight! Thank you.

Trainwreck
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
560 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

wt1,
On the original printing of the stamp, is the "2008" made up of dots?
I noticed the original printings of the Forever Liberty Bell and the Sea Coast stamps have dates produced in dots, resulting light (thin) numerals. Later printings have bolder numerals.
Thanks for the sharp eyes.
Robert

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10784 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
On the original printing of the stamp, is the "2008" made up of dots?

I don't think so (but I could be wrong). Here's a blow up of the date from the first of the trio of stamps I scanned earlier in this thread:

Actually, I had originally thought that the first stamp looked a little "fuzzier" than the other varieties in the date, but as I studied the stamp further, I was actually wondering if that stamp might better be explained as just a very slight color misregistration that accounts for the "fuzzier" look to the date.

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10784 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This may really be nitpicking, but I superimposed the same trio of stamps scanned above highlighting only the right side of the Tiffany lamp shade on each. While we've already established that the third stamp (reprint) has a much more intense blue in some of the panes, when looking at the right side you can see some subtle detail changes in terms of color and shape of the glass panes:

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05