Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Classic Stamps Mint and Used
Share this topic!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Plate Block values

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sfriedman39
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sfriedman39 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I have a collection of some 200 or more plate blocks mostly commemorative stamps from the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's. Are they worth anything more than face value these days?

Send note to staff

wt1
Pillar Of The Community

United States
9763 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

With few exceptions, plate blocks of the 1940's through 1960's aren't worth anything much over face value. In fact, on the resale level, you'd be lucky to get face value, as quantities of these stamps can often go for a discount well below that.

Of course, if you have enough need for postage, you can recover your costs by using the stamps at their full face value for postage, but these days that can be hard to do.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

stallzer
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
3314 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  5:45 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Basically only good for postage. That being said there are a few that can be worth $5-$15 depending on the issue like the "Famous American issue of 1940. The higher value Brown 10 PB's of 4 catalog from $15-$35.00.

I_Love_Stamps
Pillar Of The Community

United States
5817 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I was always curious about this subject too as a few found their way into my collection as well and have no idea of any value for them. One in particular is an E18 plate block. Since these was from the 40's should I keep them all intact or can I split them up?

I thought it curious that they sell for less than face even though they are actual Gov't issue postage? Wouldn't that be a kin to selling a dollar bill to a collector for less than face? Just curious?

My E18 plate block

Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 01/31/2012 6:37 pm

ncbuckeye
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1128 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ncbuckeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

ILS - I would definitely keep this one intact - in fact, I would keep any of the SD's intact. In addition, for stamp sets (such as the overrun countries set), if you have all of the pb's, you might be able to get a little more for them as a set.

Edited by ncbuckeye - 01/31/2012 8:13 pm

nitrolures
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
2244 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nitrolures to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

ILS - That block would make a super cover even though out of date and even if you sent it back to yourself. It does have plate number and selvedge so should definatly garner more than face by several times.

wt1
Pillar Of The Community

United States
9763 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

ILS - Definitely keep that E18 as a plate block. Current catalog value (assuming MNH) is $22.50.

Besides, you CANNOT use special delivery stamps (or for that matter, special handling stamps, or postage due stamps, or certified mail stamps) for US Postage. Those stamps were only valid for the special delivery surcharge when that service was in place.

Edited by wt1 - 01/31/2012 8:37 pm

stallzer
Pillar Of The Community

United States
3314 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  8:46 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Not being an advocate of splitting up blocks the other alternative is plate singles which are highly collectible and desirable. Also for some strange reason I've seen the plate singles sell for higher than the plate block of the same stamp......go figure.

tomiseksj
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2459 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  8:49 pm  Show Profile Check tomiseksj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

sfriedman39,

Welcome to SCF!

Before you become too discouraged and begin "licking and sticking" those blocks I suggest that you take some time and review the completed listings for US plate blocks on ebay. While many lots go unsold and others sell for face value or below, there are lots that bring a premium over face. Here is a recent example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-US-Four-...em46007a6d59

Steve

p.s. Jeff, the first page of a search of completed listings for PBs of E18 showed numerous sales in the $5 to $10 range.

wt1
Pillar Of The Community

United States
9763 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the other alternative is plate singles

Indeed, that is a desired collectible today. There's even the an organization devoted to just that sort of collectible:

http://www.apnss.org

What I think happened is that plate blocks fell out of favor with collectors back in the 1970's when you had many setenant stamps and multiple plate numbers requiring you collect entire strips of stamps to make up plate blocks. Stamps got to be expensive around then. Storage of these oversized strips became a problem for collectors. As a result, collectors revolted and the collecting interest in them dwindled.

Fast forward to the last decade or two when the BOEP no longer printed postage stamps but the process was contracted out to private firms, it created multiple varieties of the same stamp and as a result plate numbers (or other marginal markings) varied even within the same stamp issue, resulting in other collectibles. Also, when taking into account the high value stamps of today (i.e. Priority and Express Mail rates) it's a lot less taxing on one's wallet to buy one example of a stamp with plate number, than an entire block.

Edited by wt1 - 01/31/2012 8:57 pm

fredcdobbs
Valued Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a collection of some 200 or more plate blocks mostly commemorative stamps from the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's. Are they worth anything more than face value these days?

Scrap postage is reality for 3 cent through 10 cent,50-60% real deal, plate blocks,zip blocks, sheets don't matter Dealers are swimming in this stuff. Ebay merchants don't want to take the time to count values to come up with postage and it takes way too many 4 cent stamps to come up with today's postage. Just my opinion, but if anybody wants to prove me wrong, I will you sell you MNH 4 cent through 13 cent bulk plate blocks and Zip blocks for %70 face in $100 face lots.

wt1
Pillar Of The Community

United States
9763 Posts

Posted 01/31/2012  9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it takes way too many 4 cent stamps to come up with today's postage.

Agreed. But for those so inclined to "dress up" their mail, use one of the recently issued 29 cents Aloha Shirts postcard rate stamps with a block of 4 cent stamps and you have today's 45 cent first class rate.

It may not have much of any value, but it would certainly make for a nice looking cover anyway.

I_Love_Stamps
Pillar Of The Community

United States
5817 Posts

Posted 02/01/2012  04:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

What an informative thread. I have been confused on this for a long time so I just leave everything intact.

Quote:
Current catalog value (assuming MNH) is $22.50

It is M/NH/OG Also thank you for clarification!

ncbuckeye
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1128 Posts

Posted 02/01/2012  09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ncbuckeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

ILS - if you decide to break it up, contact me first!

TinMan
Pillar Of The Community

United States
681 Posts

Posted 02/01/2012  3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TinMan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

ILS I vote to keep it intact.

sfriedman39
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts

Posted 02/01/2012  6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sfriedman39 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

In my collection I recently came across 3 Plate Blocks of 4 of the Lindberg C10 airmail stamp. Most catalogs list it as Plate Block of 6. Can anyone give a me a clue what the Plate Block of 4 might sell for?

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05