Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Picture Postcards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Cancel with NO Stamp - FREE!?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eaglebub7
Valued Member

United States
149 Posts

Posted 03/04/2012  3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add eaglebub7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Cleaning out my in-laws (or out-laws depending on point of view ) house I have run across several boxes of letters and postcards my dearly departed father-in-law had saved during his WWII tour of duty. I have found a few postcards with cancels but no stamp, all hand written "free". I can see no evidence of a stamp. How can this be, did the postal service have certain days they offered free postage to servicemen?

Send note to staff

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10186 Posts

Posted 03/04/2012  4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

All military personnel during World War II were granted "free" mailing privileges and as evidenced by your example, all the soldier or sailor had to do was write "Free" in the upper right hand corner of the piece and it would be honored in lieu of a stamp. The idea was that the mails were so important to deployed troops that it became a morale booster for the soldier and their families to communicate while at war.

Here's a WWII-era newspaper article announcing the program, which became effective April 1, 1942:

Edited by wt1 - 03/04/2012 4:30 pm
Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

tomiseksj
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2460 Posts

Posted 03/04/2012  4:14 pm  Show Profile Check tomiseksj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The practice continues today in designated areas -- here is the response to a frequently asked question from the Military Postal Service Agency's website:

Quote:
Is there "Free Mail" from the theater?
Yes, most areas of the Middle East have been authorized Free Mail for personal correspondence being sent from the service member overseas back to the U.S. Family members sending mail to service members in a free mail zone must pay for postage. Service members are briefed on the Free Mail procedures when they are deployed to a Free Mail area.

eaglebub7
Valued Member

United States
149 Posts

Posted 03/04/2012  5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglebub7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks to both of you! The edit to add the article makes total sense now as my next question was going to pertain to airmail, nice going wt1

tomiseksj
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2460 Posts

Posted 03/05/2012  8:40 pm  Show Profile Check tomiseksj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here are two more examples from the same era:

goldnugget
Valued Member

United States
7 Posts

Posted 03/15/2012  9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goldnugget to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Enclosed is some Examples of Free Postage from the U.S.S.Maddox D D -731. in the 1960's. I was the Naval Postal Clerk at the Dates on the envelopes. These dates are also the date the Vietnamese shelled us from shore.I am the only person to have theses and the Captain signed and Notarized them for me. I never told why I was doing this. The Postal Clerk from August 1964 ( Roger )( I have never been able to confirm with him ) is suppose to have an envelope Dated August 4,1964 for the escalation of the Viet Nam War when the U.S.S . Maddox and the U.S.S. Turner Joy was attacked by 3 Vietnamese Patrol boats. Still trying to upload picture's

Edited by goldnugget - 03/19/2012 5:55 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05