Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Philatelic Book, Reference, Supply and Software

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Scott Minuteman Album Pages

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2317 Posts
Posted 03/07/2012  10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

So, as you may have guessed from my previous posts, I am big on descriptions in my albums. So, I emailed Amos asking for sample pages from the Scott Minuteman album, since they include descriptions. Today, they sent me a PDF, and told me I could share it with others.

Since Minuteman pages are bigger than 8.5x11, the scans they sent me are a little cropped, but if you want to see what Minuteman pages look like, have a gander:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2301411/MKS...07110056.pdf

Send note to staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
11106 Posts
Posted 03/07/2012  12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

How do you like these pages? Personally, I'm not partial to their page borders, I'd rather have something with a straight line or double line border rather than the ragged look.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2317 Posts
Posted 03/07/2012  2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The borders are OK. The big plus to me is descriptions right on the page. The Scott National has a better border, but it has no descriptions.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
11106 Posts
Posted 03/07/2012  3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

If it works for you, that's all that's important. As stamp collectors, we all pretty much agree that there are no rules, so collect what pleases you, and album-wise, buy the album that you most definitely prefer.

Unless you're willing to purchase a used album on the secondary market, a quick check reveals that a new and up-to-date Minuteman album costs $110, as compared to considerably lower prices for the Harris or Mystic versions, even though you may have issues with those alternatives. Also, given that the Minuteman is larger in size than 8.5 x 11, you are more or less stuck with conforming to their layouts, as custom "personalized" pages would be difficult to insert if you're not comfortable with the Minuteman layouts.

Personally, I'd rather spend less on an album and more on the stamps, but that's just my opinion. What it really comes down to is whether or not the $110 investment in the album is worth it to YOU -- a question no one but yourself can answer.

Good luck.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2317 Posts
Posted 03/07/2012  4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I found someone selling New Old Stock supplements for $5.00 a piece. So, I am going to grab 2000, 2001 and 2002 off the guy and see how it goes. I can get the 20th Century pages online for about $30. I don't have anything from the 19th century, and probably couldn't afford it anyway, so taking those pages out will relieve my depression. :-)

I think I like the Minuteman border because it works equally well for both classic and modern stamps.

Valued Member
United States
26 Posts
Posted 03/07/2012  5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pookie64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Apastuszak, let me know if you have other questions on the Minuteman, as I posted on another thread, I have the 2010 version (not purchased 2011 supplement). I like everything about the album except the paper quality. It's essentially 20Lb. bond paper (acid free of course). But very light weight.

I can scan any pages you wish to look at, but I too have only a 8.5x11 scanner so it will be cropped...

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2317 Posts
Posted 03/07/2012  7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Well, I have the Mystic Heirloom now, and am not fond of the paper thickness. If they put descriptions in the Scott National, I'd go that route for the better paper.

The best paper/description combo is definitely White Ace. but it would probably cost me more than $40 to get everything I need for just 2011, since they have separate supplements for commemorative, definitive, coil and booklet.

Can you tell me if the Minuteman paper will fit a standard 3 ring binder, or do I have to use the Minuteman binder? I used to have a 2 post Minuteman years ago, and the actual binder size was the same as an Avery binder.

Also, is the Minuteman different from the old in any way other than 3 hole vs 2 post?

Edited by apastuszak - 03/07/2012 8:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2317 Posts
Posted 03/07/2012  8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This may be too good to pass up! An eBay auction with Minuteman 2 post through 1992 with black mounts on all the pages for $25.00! Worth it just for the mounts!

Edited by apastuszak - 03/07/2012 8:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
26 Posts
Posted 03/07/2012  10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pookie64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Apastuszak, yes, the Minuteman paper will fit a 3 ring binder, but you need to have a 2.5-3 inch binder which are larger because the paper are so big. But the Minuteman binders are exactly the same size as the white 3 ring binders I bought at Costco. So, yes, you could purchase just the pages from Amos and supply your own binders. I do have to say that the Scott binders have pretty stiff covers.

I do believe that the newer Minuteman have a different layout. Specifically, seems like the older ones have stamps next to each other in boxes like cells in a spreadsheet. In the new one, each stamp stands on its own like your scanned copies and like the Mystic albums. In the old Minuteman, that was not the case, so it was inconvenient to use mounts.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2317 Posts
Posted 03/07/2012  11:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Well, that would ruin my dreams of buying that Minuteman album from eBay for cheap.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2317 Posts
Posted 03/08/2012  12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

So, I went out and bought the 2011 Minuteman supplement. It's pretty much exactly what I want. Se-tenants are connected and in blocks. Descriptions are under the commemorative stamps. The dealer also had an old 2 hole pack of blank pages that he sold me for $5.00. I figure I can punch them three hole myself. Overall the supplement is far closer to what I want, and when I look at how much time I put into modifying the Mystic Heirloom 2011 supplement, it's worth the extra $10 per supplement to go the Minuteman route. Since the pages are bigger, it's far less hackable, but for 2011, I don't think I am going to need to do anything.

The only thing I think I am going to do is to place reinforcements over the holes, since the paper is a bit thin.

Someone bought the old Minuetman album with mounts in it off of eBay. Should have grabbed it while I had the chance. Ah well...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
658 Posts
Posted 03/08/2012  12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi

How about White Ace? The pages are ornate but also have descriptions. I believe their paper is thicker than the Scott pages.

Jerry B

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2317 Posts
Posted 03/08/2012  12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I used to have White Ace. Gorgeous pages. Just don't like the price. Last tally I did, a full supplement would cost close to $40, since you need to buy:

Commemoratives
Definitives
Booklet Panes
Coil

And the coils are coil pairs.

I'd rather spend the money on stamps. Minuteman 2011 was $15.00

Edited by apastuszak - 03/08/2012 1:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2317 Posts
Posted 03/08/2012  1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Alright. Need to ask another question. The blank pages I bought are from 1985 it looks like, and they have a yellowish tinge to the paper. Was the Minuteman album this color back then, or should I be concerned that the paper is acidifying and simply toss is and buy some new blank pages?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05