Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Cinderellas

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Cinderellas/Labels Produced by Stamp Dealers

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crwhb
Valued Member
United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  04:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add crwhb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I have a number of 'stamps' and labels issued by postage stamp dealers and traders in the UK over the years and would be interested in seeing what else exists on this theme.

To start the ball rolling I have scanned what might be considered to perhaps be the 'classic' example - the set of 100 labels, printed by Perkins Bacon & Co Ltd for Stanley Gibbons of London to provide a comparison guide to stamp collectors for stamp printing colour variations, with the names for these as used in catalogues. Most modern colour charts/cards display solid blocks of colour whereas most stamps printed do not. I still find these labels helpful today and they can fetch quite high prices when they occasionally appear on Ebay and the like.

The 'stamps', all perforated and gummed, were issued on a folded card mount (printed by Harrison & Sons Ltd) and all show the same design of a standing figure of Britannia, holding spear and shield, with the inscription 'STANLEY GIBBONS LTD 391 STRAND LONDON WC2' and 'COLOUR CHART'. I am not sure of the date but from the prices cited for other Gibbons products I would think they were produced in the 1930s or 1950s (unlikely to be during the WW1 or WW2 years).

If there is any interest, I will post some other items and would be pleased to see what others might have. Chris Wren

Send note to staff

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15560 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Chris,
there is a subtle difference implied by
"produced by stamp dealers"
and
"produced by stamp printers"

I have many labels of the latter, but none by dealers that I can recall.
If you want printers then I'll add to the thread.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

Israel
5805 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a label produced by Philatelic Historian and Oddities dealer Victor Short.

Also produced in at least one other colour.
There are more including his cute renditions of the Ideal Stamp and the Manchester War fund labels.
I'll show some later along with a anice cover and a letterhead.

Londonbus1

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community

Israel
5805 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

1971 Strike Post labels by dealers Bridger & Kay, who ran an actual Postal Courier service.

I have more but here are 2 examples:

The latter is missing Blue text, quite scarce.

Here is former partner Allan Leverson at Philatex Extra, May 2010 part of the Festival of Stamps. He holds a large stock of the remanders of these issues and showed me some nice pieces !

Londonbus1

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community

Israel
5805 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The Tatham Stamp Company of Springfield, Massachsetts produced their own advertising Cindrella based on the 1912 KGV 'Ideal' Stamp.
I do not have an example, sadly.
They also produced 'Tasco' Booklets containing Confederate Facsimiles......

Can't find the booklet scan but it's here somewhere !

Londonbus1

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community

Israel
5805 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Found the elusive booklet !

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community

Israel
5805 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  10:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Presidents of the United States by Henry Ellis Harris.

This is fun isn't it.

Londonbus1....well, isn't it ?

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community

Israel
5805 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

British Stamp Dealers Rushstamps was founded by Allan Grant in 1958.
Mr.Grant was also heavily involved in the Strike Mail saga and I'll show some later.
Rushstamps are also responsible for Philatelic Collars and an abundance of 'Philatelic' Overprints on GB and other stamps.

Londonbus1

crwhb
Valued Member
United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crwhb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Lovely things Londonbus - as ever! To answer Rod and to clarify, I am really looking for things produced by (or for) stamp dealers, regardless who actually printed them. They can be advertising labels (general or specific), event publicising labels, fun things or whatever. Ideally round about postage stamp size, gummed and maybe perforated; if used on an envelope or similar, then even better!

There are many cinderellas, labels, essays, etc that have been done by printers for their own advertising or other purposes but, as with any printing company, they will print anything a customer wants and is prepared to pay for.

Here is another Tatham Stamp & Coin Co label applied to the 1937 Coronation cinderella envelope - a cinderella for a cinderella - or is that a cinderella squared? Chris Wren

Edited by crwhb - 03/09/2012 1:04 pm

I95
Valued Member
55 Posts

Posted 03/14/2012  7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I95 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is an old one (ca 1865) from Stafford Smith of Bath, England and a Maury label and cover from Paris, France (ca 1894)

http://www.stamp2.com/articles/cind...derella4.asp

jamesw
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
5215 Posts

Posted 03/14/2012  8:27 pm  Show Profile Check jamesw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here's one to go with Mr. Bus's collection of Springfield Tasco Confederate facsimile label countfeit collectible pieces.

My first confederate purchase turned out to be an early Springfield label, before he was forced to stamp the backs "FACSIMILE".

I'll probably still hunt down the rest of the 'collection' one day.

peterc4
Valued Member

United States
254 Posts

Posted 04/23/2012  6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterc4 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I ran into these coupons in a shoebox lot I got recently.

I think they are from the early 1970's(?).

I had Littleton approvals as a kid, but I was strictly a small-change buyer; I never earned any coupons. I did earn some of those "have you forgotten?" messages. Long gone though.

kc40ash
United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted 05/11/2012  04:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kc40ash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Please review the rules.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05