Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Main Stamp Collecting Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Which international stamps are most valuable

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

woodcutter1979
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add woodcutter1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I realize that it is more based on the individual stamp then the country but in overall terms what countries stamps seem to be the most valuable. I just recently picked up a huge collection of international stamps and I am trying to figure this all out. I am not a stamp collector so educate me. Thanks

Send note to staff

I_Love_Stamps
Pillar Of The Community

United States
6239 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The Treskling yellow.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

chasa
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1149 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

There are many German stamps from the 1920's with face value of millions of marks, some even billions. You just need to get over to Berlin and ask for a cash refund.

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15560 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

What is meant by "picked up" ?

Did you purchase the items, or were you given them?

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6294 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

There are a lot of 'depends' to this question.

Right now, at this time, China is booming and is worth more.

Great Britain has some of the oldest stamps so if you are counting from day one then count them. Then the US because there are a lot of collectors wanting the same stamps. same for any countries that have a high GNP where the citizens have more money to spend.

You could break it down by era or year issued but that would give you a regular mix up.

Indian Staes are up and coming also.

Depends on the condition of the stamps. Garbage is garbage. Ruined stamps are still ruined. Rips and tears and such like don't go away by themselves.

I could say what I have said and you could look in your stamps and the country worth more is the country or region concentrated on by the collector(s) that had the albums to start with . So it could be Iceland or St Pierre et Miquelon or British Africa or Japan. Etc, etc.

Depends on who you are selling them to and when and where. German stamps are worth nothing to me because I don't collect them But in Germany to a collector of German stamps, they are worth a lot more. Same with any country.

Stamps do not have an intrinsic value like money, coins for example. A one cent coin is worth one cent anytime you want mostly, but a one cent stamp could be worth one cent new or nothing in 50 years or $100 in 50 years. Condition, supply and demand, investor influence, which way the bird flew, etc.

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6294 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Rod, if I say here in Canada that I picked up something I would be meaning I went out and purchased it while on my errands. Or bought it at any time.

I picked the TV up for $100 at the store.

different that

Rod picked me up and threw me up the stairs so I could find his stamps quicker.

I am not aware of picking up meaning something like the British term lifting. But I could be wrong. The world is a big place.

Footballphilately
Valued Member

United States
164 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Footballphilately to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

As a general rule industrialized countries like Great Britain, U.S., France, Germany, Italy tend to be worth more then say, third world countries. And yes china is booming at the moment.

finches
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
683 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Whatever happened to that newbie non-collector, who was lucky enough to find that large cardboard box of stamps and albums in his flat, approx' 5 weeks ago.

Rileysan
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
2544 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  11:07 pm  Show Profile Check Rileysan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are many German stamps from the 1920's with face value of millions of marks, some even billions. You just need to get over to Berlin and ask for a cash refund.

KGV Collector
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

Australia
2603 Posts

Posted 03/09/2012  11:12 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi woodcutter.

The most expensive stamps are ones we own.

Then some become more expensive as we learn more about them.

But as a general rule for me is stamps pre 1935 can be of good value.

Many modern letter rate stamps are worth 5c to 20c each in very good condition.

Many modern high denomination stamps are worth 99c in very good condition.

Always Happy Stamping. KGV

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6294 Posts

Posted 03/10/2012  07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Whatever happened to that newbie non-collector, who was lucky enough to find that large cardboard box of stamps and albums in his flat, approx' 5 weeks ago.

He's been studying on Stamp Community!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05