Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 On Line Stamp Auction Discussions
 Ebay / StampWants / StampOffers / Auction Sites
Share this topic!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

I'm confused

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mumut
Valued Member

Australia
18 Posts

Posted 03/17/2012  06:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mumut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I've spent days soaking stamps off paper ready to sell all my spares. When I started I'd only heard of ebay (blissfully ignorant). While I was searching on a number of philatelic topics I found a number of other auction sites plus I stumbled across this site and this is my first post. Anyway, I was looking through posts and found references to other auction sites. So here are my problems:
I see people advertising single stamps in delcampe and they are only worth a few cents. How can the seller make any profit this way?
I see people selling via wensy.com and from what I could see, wensy doesn't make a profit out of any of it - where's the catch.

So, after my research which was supposed to prepare me to start selling, I feel more worried about selling than I did before I started researching. If anyone can explain things simply, I'd be very grateful.

Send note to staff

Seahorse
Valued Member

Israel
203 Posts

Posted 03/17/2012  08:50 am  Show Profile Check Seahorse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seahorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Mumut,

Welcome to the forum.

You would probably find the following thread very informative. It has many useful observation made by Duncanvr who only stated selling on ebay lately and by KGV Collector who is sharing his experience after a year or so of selling. Other members contributed as well. Make yourself a cup of coffee - it has already 10 pages of comments... Read and enjoy

http://www.stampcommunity.org/topic...&whichpage=1

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

kuhli
Valued Member
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

USA
410 Posts

Posted 03/17/2012  08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuhli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Mumut,

Quote:
I see people advertising single stamps in delcampe and they are only worth a few cents. How can the seller make any profit this way?

not all the sellers on delcampe are in it for a profit. many of them are collectors who are just trying to recover some of their costs and liquidate their extras, in order to make more purchases. also, some depend on volume to make a profit.

Quote:
I see people selling via wensy.com and from what I could see, wensy doesn't make a profit out of any of it - where's the catch.

until they get themselves established as a viable alternative to eBay, and build a base of sellers with quality material at fair prices, they are offering free services. eventually, as they grow in volume and reputation, they will likely start charging fees.

timbres667
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!
Canada
2324 Posts

Posted 03/17/2012  7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timbres667 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Mumut
When you reach 50 posts you can auction, sell and trade here on SCF. Give yourself sometime and enjoy this website.

Edited by timbres667 - 03/17/2012 7:49 pm

Mumut
Valued Member

Australia
18 Posts

Posted 03/17/2012  10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mumut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for the replies, greetings and assistance. I've read some of the many posts on this huge site and, as you say, selling spare stamps seems best taken as a steady process. I'll take your advice and take my time. My main reason for selling is I want to buy some stamps to fill the (many) gaps in three albums of Australian stamps I'm creating - one for each of my kids. I've done the same with my coin collection. But, being retired, I don't have the means to just go out and spend heaps. Also, I think the sell-then-buy system looks like more fun.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

meostamps
Valued Member

USA
303 Posts

Posted 03/19/2012  4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add meostamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Mumut and welcome to SC! As an active seller on Wensy, I can tell you that there are no fees to list or sell and that the owner has said numerous times that he wishes to keep it that way. Several other members of both here and Wensy have suggested that he at least charge some small fee for special things such as highlighted titles and such but he has turned down those suggestions. We do sometimes send him a small donation to help with the site's costs but that it on a voluntary basis.
Mike in NC / meostamps

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05