Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 Canadian Stamps and Covers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

2012 Canada Titanic Stamps

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10503 Posts

Posted 03/22/2012  4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I don't recall anyone showing the images of the upcoming Canadian stamps memorializing the 100th anniversary of the Titanic:

Send note to staff

KirkS
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
3731 Posts

Posted 03/23/2012  09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KirkS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Those are nice.

I expected a lot of Titanic stamps this year for the 100th Anniversary.

Of course, the US Postal Service has a policy prohibiting the commemoration of any tragedy. So, no US stamps for anyone wanting to do a "Titanic" collection.

KirkS

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

22crows
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
837 Posts

Posted 03/23/2012  10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Gibraltar issued a set of 5 stamps on 31st January 2012:

http://www.gibraltar-stamps.com/ind...ails&id=1043

And you can see the Isle of Man's contribution here:

http://iomstampsnews.com/tag/isle-of-man-2/

Edited by 22crows - 03/23/2012 10:21 am

Nells250
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1938 Posts

Posted 03/24/2012  11:44 am  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Cool! I wish the US would issue one.. but nooooooooo... We lost quite a few prominent people in that tragedy...

So, when do things get better?

jamesw
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
5282 Posts

Posted 03/24/2012  1:43 pm  Show Profile Check jamesw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Those se-tenants on top make it look like the props were on the bow (front) of the ship. Maybe that was part of the problem?

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6327 Posts

Posted 03/24/2012  3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It is unsettling to find yourself at the stern and down there with the propellers.

You just don't expect to see the vessel from this angle.

Just as they didn't expect to see the iceberg nor be damaged and sunk by it.

Nor expect to be floating in the water and seeing the vessel from this angle either.

May God rest their Souls.

One hundred and fifty of those that lost their lives are buried here in Halifax cemeteries. Grave markers paid for by the White Star Line. Fifty-nine bodies were shipped by train to their relatives. (116 buried at sea because they ran out of embalming fluid on the two cable ships out searching for bodies.)

Quote:
In all, four ships recovered 328 bodies and returned with 209 which were unloaded at the Coaling Wharf of the Naval Dockyard in Halifax. The class barriers, so typical of life on board the Titanic, were respected even in death. The bodies of first-class passengers were unloaded in the coffins, second-and third-class passengers in canvas bags, and the crew on open stretchers.

Quote:
710 people survived the disaster and were conveyed by Carpathia to New York, Titanic's original destination, while 1,517 people lost their lives.

From Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic

And then five years after this disaster, there was the explosion of a WWI munitions ship in the Halifax hHrbour, killing more than 1900 people instantly.

irishjack
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
1155 Posts

Posted 03/25/2012  4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add irishjack to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I had a great grand uncle that went down in the ship. He was a fireman in the engine room. My wife also had a grand uncle that loss his life he was a 3rd class passenger. This might be the year to start collecting Titanic.

Mithridates

United States
1 Posts

Posted 03/29/2012  8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mithridates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The USPS won't commemorate tragedies? That seems misguided. Why is that?

KirkS

United States
3731 Posts

Posted 03/29/2012  9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KirkS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Longstanding policy of the USPS and Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee.

The don't focus on tragedy nor give acknowledgement to those who might cause tragedy.

KirkS

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6327 Posts

Posted 03/29/2012  9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ad in the Halifax Metro newspaper Wed, Mar 28, 2012 for Titanic stamps and free movie tickets given out by two Canada Post outlets.

I like the close-up of the men below the propellers.

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6327 Posts

Posted 03/29/2012  9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hmmm, I wonder if they might have a special cancel too?

chenyuwen
Valued Member

United States
12 Posts

Posted 03/31/2012  10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chenyuwen to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Canada Post collector's shop website has been down this evening: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/shop/shop.jsf
From the same issue, the Titanic Collector's Set (Stamps & Coins) is much discussed here:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=114519
With quantities of only 10,000, and it includes a rare 50 cent coin, this handsome item must be popular among collectors of Canadian stamps, coins, and historic event/theme!
I especially love the design of the 4 stamps & souvenir sheet. They are simple, elegant, and their design does not focus on the tragedy.
The uncut press sheet (signed) is also a splendid item!

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6327 Posts

Posted 05/01/2012  5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Advertisement on the back of the self-adhesive stamps booklet shown above, for the press sheet.

Beyond the stamp value this would be a great poster for display looks like.

wert
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
1838 Posts

Posted 05/01/2012  5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Really guys...

Quote:
Longstanding policy of the USPS and Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee.

The don't focus on tragedy nor give acknowledgement to those who might cause tragedy

Look here
http://flagstamps.blogspot.ca/2011/...-of-911.html

The question is more important than the answer.

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6327 Posts

Posted 05/01/2012  6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Scan of the front of the booklet:

Some zoomed in areas of the booklet front, this being the largest size at which the Titanic is portrayed (except perhaps on the press sheet). This is the same picture as on the stamps but it is shrunk down for the stamps. (I think)

US flag on foremast

Signal flags (?) and passengers on a deck

Is this where the Royal Mail white flag would be flown?

Crewman climbing ladder on foremast

Jack Dawson waits for Rose Bukater in the bow

Voyager
Valued Member

India
70 Posts

Posted 05/01/2012  10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Voyager to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I'm new to this board. Need to know whether I can use stamp images taken from the internet?

I have compilation of Titanic stamps issued in 2012, but now do not remember exactly from where I took the images. will that be a problem posting images here?

waiting for suggestions.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05