Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 World Picture Postcards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

1935-1936 German Postcard set

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sharksfan11
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1152 Posts

Posted 03/29/2012  4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sharksfan11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I picked these up today. I thought our WWII collectors would like to see them.

Send note to staff

PostmasterGS
Pillar Of The Community

Portugal
1106 Posts

Posted 03/29/2012  5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Better watch it sharksfan...if the "Lernt Deutschland kennen!" bug bites you, you can kiss a few paychecks goodbye!

For those who aren't familiar with the series:

The "Lernt Deutschland kennen" (Get to Know Germany) cards were issued over a span of 30+ years. Each card featured a scenic German picture on the left side. Any German town could order the cards and choose the view, provided they ordered at least 50,000 cards. I can't speak for the total number of varieties over the 30+ year span, but during the period I collect (up to 1945), there were about 2,700 different cards.

Michel catalogs these in major varieties, with most major varieties then subdivided into the individual printing sets.

Sharksfan, your cards all appear to be Michel P305, which were printed in 1941-42. There are a total of 378 different varieties of P305 (14 sets of 27). I see portions of at least two printing sets in your photos -- sets 42-8-1- and 42-9-1-, both of which consisted of 27 cards each.

These are lovely cards (yours are in great shape!), and they're one of my favorite collecting areas. The cards themselves are generally inexpensive, it's just the sheer quantity that gets you. I have a stack of about 1,000 of these that I bought in bulk waiting for me to wade through, scan, post to my collection, etc. If I come across any duplicates I'll let you know.

Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

sharksfan11
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1152 Posts

Posted 03/29/2012  5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sharksfan11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I will be looking forward to it. I just recently started collecting postcards. I am finding that it is really hard to find complete sets.

PostmasterGS
Pillar Of The Community

Portugal
1106 Posts

Posted 03/29/2012  6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Delcampe is much better than eBay for German postcards.

Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945

PostmasterGS
Pillar Of The Community

Portugal
1106 Posts

Posted 03/29/2012  7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I've also got a Links page on my site that lists several dealers who carry Germany.

One (Ansichkarten Versand) is exclusively postcards. Their site's a little difficult to navigate, so here's a direct link to the German postal stationery.

Another good one for postcards, and the best one for complete sets, is Christ Stamps.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05