Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Main Stamp Collecting Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Titanic - 100 Anniversary of Sinking

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ncbuckeye
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
1128 Posts

Posted 04/15/2012  09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ncbuckeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

One hundred years ago last night, a young man barely out of high school went to work at the Corning, NY Western Union Telegraph Company - a night job he was able to obtain as a teletype operator. Close to midnight, messages from the east coast of Canada started to come into the office - messages that the Titanic had hit an iceberg and was sinking. Throughout the night and early morning, that young man tranlasted the dits and dots onto ticker tape. Understanding the full significance of what he was placing onto the tapes, he had the foresight to keep the tapes. That young man was my grandfather. And the tapes? They are in the possession of my sister whom, being the oldest grandchild, he gave the tapes to. Knowing that the tapes were being generated as the tragedy took place, the feeling one gets while holding them is completely different than just reading about the event.

Please share your Titanic stamps, covers, postcards, etc.

Send note to staff

serious collector
Valued Member
Canada
156 Posts

Posted 04/15/2012  11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add serious collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for sharing that piece of unknown history......just absolutely awesome.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10933 Posts

Posted 04/15/2012  12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Postally speaking, I have nothing in my collection to share. However, this post prompted me to pull out one of the most popular books about the Titanic (which I've had for many years):

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
3974 Posts

Posted 04/15/2012  1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I watched parts of that movie last night on TCM in between hockey periods.

Below is a scan of a postcard I have to mount in my ship albums. A nice card to say the least.

Chimo

Bujutsu

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10933 Posts

Posted 04/15/2012  1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nice postcard!

I've always been fascinated by this story that would have some believing the disaster was foretold in this novel a full 14 years before the Titanic's sinking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futili...of_the_Titan

Carey
Valued Member
Canada
60 Posts

Posted 04/15/2012  5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Carey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Love the history. Thanks.

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10933 Posts

Posted 04/15/2012  7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A timely tribute in New York State to an US postal worker who died aboard the RMS Titanic:

http://www.lohud.com/article/201204...gh-ceremony-

spanishmoss
Pillar Of The Community

United States
833 Posts

Posted 04/15/2012  9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spanishmoss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

What a neat story, ncbuckeye.

I don't have any Titanic-related material to share.

We were fortunate enough to go an exhibit on the Titanic
awhile back and I bought a copy of the blueprints of the ship.
My intention was to frame them for the boys' room.
I didn't realize, though, that it would cost a fortune to frame
because it is so long. So... two years later, it is still on a shelf in their closet.

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
3974 Posts

Posted 04/16/2012  11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

We were fortunate enough to go an exhibit on the Titanic

I hope you didn't get too wet <G>. Seriously though, that would have been a great exhibit to attend and there must have been a lot of historical items on hand and information to be had.

I once saw a documantary on people who had serious collecting habits. One was a Titanic fan (or should I say 'fanatic'?) and he had to have everything that was "Titanic". He was so obsessed that it destroyed his marriage (true story)

I have three postcards in total with the Titanic, one being a reproduction and the other two genuine from the time frame. I got them relatively cheap but once Cameron's film came out, they sky rocketed more than 15 times the price I paid for them.

The one shown in this thread is an original. I also scanned another postcard image in here on the way I mount my album pages, and that too is an original. You can see it here:

http://www.stampcommunity.org/topic...erms=Titanic

I consider myself very lucky to have these two originals because I probably couldn't afford them now - thank you Mr. Cameron

Chimo

Bujutsu

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10933 Posts

Posted 04/18/2012  12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I'm just curious how many people know that the US Postal Service is selling Royal Mail's Titanic commemorative stamps as a collectible (in a presentation folder) for $22.95?

https://store.usps.com/store/browse...reignPostage

Just stumbled across the USPS listing quite by accident today, so I thought I'd share it.

Does anyone know how the $22.95 charge compares with buying the items from the UK and having them delivered to the US?

Edited by wt1 - 04/18/2012 12:02 pm

stallzer
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
3806 Posts

Posted 04/18/2012  12:15 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Now for some interesting but useless Titanic information:

Cost to build the Titanic (in 1912): $7,500,000.00
Cost to make Titanic, the movie (1997): $200,000,000.00

Price of single first-class passage: $4,700
Price of single first-class passage in today's dollars: $50,000

Speed of Carpathia as it entered ice field to reach survivors: 9 knots
Speed of Titanic through same ice field when it struck iceberg: 22 1/2 knots

During the filming of a TITANIC movie: A Night to Remember (1958), Lawrence Beesley, who had survived the Titanic disaster, was hired as a consultant. Watching the production, Beesley decided that he wanted his chance to be among the passengers who did not survive. Unfortunately, he was not a member of the actors' union. So he forged a pass, boarded the "Titanic," and stood with the extras who were preparing to "die." But "right at the last minute, as the cameras were due to roll, the director spotted [him] . . . Picking up his megaphone, he instructed the amateur impostor kindly to disembark." Beesley had missed his chance to explore "an alternative version of history."

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10933 Posts

Posted 04/18/2012  2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A link with some statistical/financial information on the Titanic:

http://www.keyflux.com/titanic/facts.htm

rohumpy
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1850 Posts

Posted 04/19/2012  06:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I know that the US did not issue a stamp remembering the Titanic disaster for the reason that disasters are not commemorated.

However, this is not exactly true. In the 1990s a stamp was issued which remembered the movie Titanic with the word Titanic in large letters and an image of the ship. This is really splitting hairs in my opinion--almost a distinction without a difference.

Also in the 1940s the Four Chaplains issue showed a sinking ship and the images of the four chaplains hovering above the sinking ship. If this is not remembering a disaster then I don't know what is.

There are other examples, too. The stamp issued after the Kennedy assassination comes to mind. That certainly remembered a tragedy.

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10933 Posts

Posted 04/19/2012  08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

There are a lot of those "border" stamps that don't fall within the guidelines we recognize for "not commemorating a disaster". After all, the real question is what is a disaster?

We have issued stamps for President Harding as a memorial after his assassination. There have also been stamps for Lincoln's "memorial issue".

More recently, we have issued stamps commemorating wars, such as the Revolutionary War, the "Remember the Maine" issue, the War of 1812 (a new issue coming in 2012), the World War II memorial issues, and many for the Civil War (including those coming in 2012).

As for other disasters, let's not forget the Semi-Postal stamp "Heroes" issued after the 9/11 disaster. I know the USPS was careful to title the stamp so as not to "glorify a tragedy" but the image still shows the ruins of the WTC, so it still "bent the rules", so to speak.

Fast forward to 2012 and the USPS has changed or bent so many rules regarding the issuance of stamps (i.e. releases before the announced first day of issue, the announcement that living people may be depicted on stamps, etc.) that it really isn't so much of an issue as it once was.

Voyager
Valued Member

India
70 Posts

Posted 05/01/2012  12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Voyager to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

@ncbuckeye: the tapes are no doubt a valuable possession. Great to know you through SCF.

I'm showing here, the recently received Titanic postcard from Canada with the Titanic stamp.

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6455 Posts

Posted 05/01/2012  03:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

There were two special pictorial postmarks used at two Halifax Post Offices this year (2012). I think they showed a deck chair as in the FDOI postmark. Haven't seen them though.

I was not able to get any.

There is an original salvaged deck chair from the Titanic at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (I have read), picture on Google.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.54 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05