Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 World Classic Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Cliche Errors, some common, some not so

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

murdo01
Valued Member
United States
37 Posts

Posted 05/25/2012  1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add murdo01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Adding more images, starting at the top

Afganistan issue of Dec. 23, 1951

Bosnia and Herzegovnia Semi_Postal issue of 1915

Brazil issue of 1891 - frame inverted

British North Borneo issue of 1886

Cape Verde issue of 1877

Same error, issue of 1881-85. Perf and imperf.

Cape Verde 1881-85 error overprinted Guine, issue of 1881

Columbia - State of Antioqua, issue of 1902

Columbia - State of Tomila, issue of 1886

Lithuania issue of 1922

Looks pretty normal, but this is the normal issue

Puerto Rico issue of 1882-86

Puerto Rico / Phillipines issue of 1898

Rio de Oro issue of 1905

Romania issue of 1893-98

Serbia newspaper issue of 1911

Turkey issue of 1865, 1 instead of 10 in corner value tablet

Here are some not everyday errors. (Original Post)

US #505, relatively common on ebay, but here used on a non philatelic cover. Used in pair with normal along with a 9 cent Franklin to pay 13 cent registation rate.

Afganistan 1960 Buzkashi issue. Cliche of 25 Pouls in sheet of 50 pouls.

Cameroun issue of 1925-38. Cliche of 2 Franc in sheet of 5 Franc.

Hungary issue of 1913-16. Cliche of 35 filler in sheet of 5 filler. This issue could exist used but is not listed as such by Scott.

Hungary issue of 1924. 800 inserted in cliche of 600 krona. This stamp should exist used, but I have yet to see one.

Iceland issue of 1902-04. Cliche inscribed "Pjonusta" (official) in sheet of 20 Aur. This is a little puzzleing as the official stamps of this type were multicolored which should mean 2 different printing plates.

Serbia King Peter on the Battlefield. Issue of 1915 SG 179c + 179ca. Cliche of 15D in sheet on 25D. No longer listed by Scott.

Syria issue of the Arabian Government 1919-1920. Cliche of 2/10 pi in sheet of 3/10 pi.

Yugoslavia Postage Due issue of 1921-22. Cliche of 10 Para in sheet of 10 Dinar.

Edited by murdo01 - 06/07/2012 8:33 pm
Send note to staff

DStamp
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts

Posted 05/25/2012  1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Wow!

I wonder how many of the errors are out there, unrecognized in collections.
They are easy enough to overlook in your multiples, as singles they are probably just as easy to overlook.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

Wadmalatz
Pillar Of The Community

Romania
803 Posts

Posted 05/25/2012  3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wadmalatz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hungary issue of 1913-16. Cliche of 35 filleer in sheet of 5 filler. This issue could exist used but is not listed as such by Scott.

a Hungarian catalogue from 2001 lists used CV too:
in sheet, or pair MNH or used (same CV) around 330 USD (80.000 Forint)
on cover or newspaper wrapper even a single has a CV of 1650 USD (400.000 Forint)
(note: in pair- meaning 50 filler+35 filler- on cover +50% !)
These are 10 year old data.
astonishing! Thank you for sharing! I`ve never seen one!

Wadmalatz
Pillar Of The Community

Romania
803 Posts

Posted 05/25/2012  3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wadmalatz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hungary issue of 1924. 800 inserted in cliche of 600 krona. This stamp should exist used, but I have yet to see one

I`ve found one! It will be auctioned (already listed) at 03.06.2012. On cover, sheet of four (registered letter to Vienna). Starting price 140.000 Hungarian Forint
(that means cca. 585 USD).
In `Catalogue of the postage&revenue stamps of Hungary` # 426a. I don`t know, if I can give here a link (?), but there are used ones.

Yorkshire Stamp Club
Valued Member
81 Posts

Posted 06/08/2012  05:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yorkshire Stamp Club to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

murdo,
At the top of your photos you do not always say what the error is. As I only collect English stamps, I would love to know. Do you have any English errors?
Muriel-YSC.

tonymacg
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
3283 Posts

Posted 06/08/2012  05:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This is one of my favourites, from Cochin State in India:

One cliché inverted, so that when these stamps were surcharged, it produced an inverted surcharge at that position. The problem was later corrected, by inverting the surcharge:

(Cochin SG 22d and 22e)

The Batliboi Litho Works of Bombay produced a nice set of pictorials for Charkhari State in 1931. However, they had a problem with one cliché of the 3 Rupee value:

(Charkhari SG 52b)

murdo01
Valued Member
United States
37 Posts

Posted 06/08/2012  07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murdo01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Muriel, I delibertly left off a description of most of the errors to leave a challange for the viewer to spot the error. I only showed multiples so the error could be spotted easier. If you look closely you will find at least one stamp setenant with the others that has a different value or country name. For example, in the Romania photos, one stamp has the value of 25 bani and the rest are 5 bani. It gives you a sense of why the error may have gone unnoticed for a period of time. I don't know of any English stamps with this type of error, which doesn't mean there anen't any.

Tonimacg, nice tete beche errors. I have a few of these but usually shy away unless they are in a strip or block. To many tete-beche are normal in plates made for booklet pane printings. The difficulty with the tete beche is the identification is normally gone when they are used. The subsituted cliche error has a change of identification when used or as a single because the color will be wrong. However, all color errors are not due to cliche subsitution.

Mike

raywrio
Pillar Of The Community

United States
819 Posts

Posted 06/08/2012  08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raywrio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

murdo,

Beautiful collection of stamps.

Wadmalatz
Pillar Of The Community

Romania
803 Posts

Posted 06/08/2012  09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wadmalatz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Regarding the 5+25 Bani Romanian issue: they`re seem genuine! Michel lists this error (#105 F) Because sadly the forgeries are very often sold in sheets too! This error appeared in 1897 november. (sheets of 2X 150, 10 stamps in a row, position of error 28 or 71). Wmk. PR. The paper is shiny, white. Not to be confound with other issues (other wmk. or wmk. position, paper type etc.) But the easiest way is this (a little extra help,from a Romanian catalogue, I didn`t found it in Michel or Y&T, don`t know for Scott or SG)

This is the original (up left horn is broken)and it seems both are all right (even though I can`t enlarge pictures)

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05