Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 World Classic Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Indian Princely state of Travancore stamps need id

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

India
123 Posts
Posted 06/16/2012  02:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add palaniappan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

hello friends, I have some stamps from Travancore, Indian princely state.

These have some overprints called service.

Could any one please give a identification. I tried the stanley gibbons catalogue India volume.

I found the title service, but could not match the denominations.

i am posting the picture.

warm wishes.

Send note to staff

Valued Member
54 Posts
Posted 06/16/2012  09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gkc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The top left Scott# 48 1946 Maharaja Sir Bala Rama Varma
Center green Scott # 36 Lake Ashtamudi
Top right Sir Bala Rama Varma Scott #38
Bottom left Maharaja Sir Bala Rama Varma and Aruvikara Falls Scott #43
Bottom right Sri Padmanabha Shrine Scott # 40
Of course you would have to apply the overprint stepdown ladder to find values.
Keith

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
963 Posts
Posted 06/16/2012  10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here's what is in the Scott catalogue. Hopefully you can match the dates with the SG.

Top row, left to right....
Travancore 1946 8ca rose red (Scott 48)
Travancore-Cochin (Official stamp)1949 1/2a on 1ch yellow green (Scott O3)
Tranvancore-Cochin 1949 1a on 2ch orange (Scott 4)

Bottom row...
Travancore-Cochin (Official stamp) 1949 2p on 6ca violet black with red overprint (Scott O1)
Travancore-Cochin 1949 2a on 4ch henna brown (Scott 5)

Four of the five stamps are actually from the combined state of Travancore-Cochin.

Scott shows the "service" overprint, and refers to the previous type "a' overprint, so nowhere do they show the actual full overprint for the Official stamps. If SG does the same thing, it will easily lead to confusion unless careful reading is done.

Hope this helps.

Classical era collecting with the Blues
http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/

Edited by Jkjblue - 06/16/2012 10:13 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3320 Posts
Posted 06/16/2012  9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Your two Service stamps are indeed from Travancore-Cochin. The proper identification depends on the watermark: whether the stamps are on Travancore watermarked paper or Cochin (sheet) watermarked paper.

If the Anna is on Travancore watermarked paper, it's SG O11; if on Cochin watermarked paper, SG O16.
If the 2 Pies is on Travancore watermarked paper, it's SG O1, if on Cochin watermarked paper, SG O8.

Valued Member
Learn More...
India
123 Posts
Posted 06/16/2012  9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add palaniappan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

thanks for the information guys, it is really very useful.

I have many stamps without correct id

i will post them too here.

warm wishes.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05