Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Main Stamp Collecting Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Romania : 5 Bani Error of colour advice please.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15567 Posts

Posted 09/01/2012  04:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Stanley Gibbons Number Please?
and CV please.

Exists as a reprint 1880 in a full sheet of 5 Bani,

Original existed as an error in full sheet of 10 Bani.

Can we tell them apart? if so, how please?

Any other gossip welcomed
(1960's SG number = SG173)

Send note to staff

nigelc
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1498 Posts

Posted 09/01/2012  06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Rodney,

As far as I can see the 5 bani blue error was only on the perf 11 sheets of the 10 bani.

As you say it was reprinted in full sheets of 5 bani deep blue perf 11.

Nigel
Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

Wadmalatz
Pillar Of The Community

Romania
836 Posts

Posted 09/01/2012  06:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wadmalatz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The original (1879): position 40 of the full sheet of the 10 bani. The reimpression was made in 1880, full sheets of 100 stamps, but catalogue states that these stamps were not valid for postal use! (?- `fara putere de francare`) Listing and CV in 2006 Romanian catalogue:
`Errors
5B. dull blue 1879................300 Eur
5B. dark blue ....................225 Eur
5B. in pair with 10B. 1879........500 Eur
5B. dark shiny (lucios) blue1882..200 Eur
5B. overprinted (or handstamped??)ANULAT...250 Eur`
All that Nigelc said is mentioned in Romanian catalogue and it`s an important clue: perf 11! The stamp shown is cancelled. But I have no information, whether the original error (1879) was ever postally used or not, catalogue gives no separate used CV for them...???

nigelc
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1498 Posts

Posted 09/01/2012  06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

SG prices the error, SG 114ea, at 500 unused and 600 used (2009 Part 3).

Nigel

Edited by nigelc - 09/01/2012 06:58 am

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15567 Posts

Posted 09/01/2012  07:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you very much for your time and catalogues boys,
Definitely perf 11.5
Looks Dull Blue to me
Looks to me like a dodgy pmk, clear quarter segment postmarks
do nothing for me, I assume CTO or forged.

So I call it SG0114ea for the reprint?
that doesn't seem right for an 1880 issue,
but then again SG is a dog's breakfast with early Romania.

With its condition I suppose real value around $100.

Edited by rod222 - 09/01/2012 07:24 am

nigelc
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1498 Posts

Posted 09/01/2012  07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Back in 1999, Michel listed the error as Mi 44F 5 bani mattblau and priced it at 750 marks unused or used.

In a footnote it priced the reprint (neudruck) Mi 44F ND dunkelblau at 200 marks (I assume for unused as it wasn't issued).

Nigel

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15567 Posts

Posted 09/01/2012  07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks again,
has earnt a nice dedicated page all for itself,
make a nice read, as someone flips through the album pages.

doug2222
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2361 Posts

Posted 09/01/2012  07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

For those who need the Euro sign, it is ALT + 0128 (use keypad) =

Bamra1
Valued Member
United Kingdom
437 Posts

Posted 09/01/2012  08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bamra1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Yvert/Tellier prices (or used to; my copy is rather elderly)the reprint as one fifth the price of the mint original, and one third the price of the used original. But as you say they will have priced under the assumption that the reprint is mint. If I owned it and wanted to sell it I would point out that the cancellation is a fascinating and unusual addition to the postal history of what may well prove to be a unique item. If I was wanting to buy it I would point out that the clearly faked cancellation ruins the value of the item and practically reduces it to the status of a cheap space filler.

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15567 Posts

Posted 09/01/2012  08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

...and I would have to decline,
my opinion and high regard of your good self, is such,
that the thought of selling you a cheap space filler is beneath me.

I'll have to keep the wretched thing myself :(

Bamra1
Valued Member
United Kingdom
437 Posts

Posted 09/01/2012  10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bamra1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It may just be an urban myth, but there allegedly used to be a British dealer in second hand goods who used to advertise under the slogan 'We buy junk and sell valuable antiques'

rod222
Bedrock Of The Community

Australia
15567 Posts

Posted 09/01/2012  3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

:)
Can you advise his contact please?
I have some goods for him on assignment.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05