Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Classic Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Think I found a rare 1916 1 Cent George Washington stamp

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

UFOAIRMAIL
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts

Posted 10/14/2012  6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add UFOAIRMAIL to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

What do you guys think abaout this? Ever seen one with weird perf or imperfs on this year stamps?
Also there is another very odd thing I found on his face.What do you guys see or am I seeing things here? I zoomed in as claose as I could on his side cheek ..whatta ya see there?
Please let me know what you think about both please
Thanks so much everyone for your help
Dave

Send note to staff

Joe Stamps
Valued Member

United States
248 Posts

Posted 10/14/2012  6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joe Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Looks Like Scott #408 by the Prefs

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

UFOAIRMAIL
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts

Posted 10/14/2012  6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UFOAIRMAIL to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Joe I have never seen any with perfs like that??And did you see the pyramid with upside down 6 or 9 in it on side of cheek? What might that be there??

UFOAIRMAIL
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts

Posted 10/14/2012  6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UFOAIRMAIL to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have hundred of these and none have those perfs..what are they called Joe??

Joe Stamps
Valued Member

United States
248 Posts

Posted 10/14/2012  6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joe Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

http://www.theswedishtiger.com/x1912a.htm

Go to the link and scroll down, private pref looks like a #408

UFOAIRMAIL
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts

Posted 10/14/2012  7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UFOAIRMAIL to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you Joe,so I guess its not at all rare then dang it!But now back to the triangle on his cheek withthe upside down 9 in it,,anyone know what that might be about there??

stallzer
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
3741 Posts

Posted 10/14/2012  7:26 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It is called a schermack type 3 Perforation. They are common but not really so much on postcards. Is it rare ? no...value on post card ? .40 If the postcard is dated 1916, then probably a Scott 481.

This is what one looks like in it's pre cut state.

doug2222
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2361 Posts

Posted 10/14/2012  7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Schermack private perforations. Uncommon on postcards. They are all listed in the back of the U.S. Specialized, and always worth more on cover, so don't soak it off.

============
Stallzer ZAPPED me by one minute.

Couldn't you have had a drink of water, or petted the cat, or looked out the window??? Anything!

Edited by doug2222 - 10/14/2012 7:29 pm

new12collector
Pillar Of The Community

United States
700 Posts

Posted 10/14/2012  7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add new12collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I find it interesting it's from a town in (probably rural, judging by the cancel) west Virginia. Where would you have gotten them out there???

Russ
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2547 Posts

Posted 10/14/2012  8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The cancel appears to have a 1912 date which would make it a Scott 408. The Schermack are not rare but are valued about 50X on cover.

It is unusual to see them on private post cards as most were used on affixing machines for mass mailing. On commercial cover are the most desireable. A typical Schermack affixing machine is pictured below.

Schermack also made stamp vending machine, often installed at train depots, and some of these also used the Type III perf.

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10795 Posts

Posted 10/14/2012  9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Based on the date of the postcard (1912 or 1914) I would agree it would have to be a Scott #408 with Schermack Type III perforations. My 2011 Scott Specialized Catalog lists the stamp at $0.60; on cover example at $22.50.

stallzer
Pillar Of The Community

United States
3741 Posts

Posted 10/14/2012  11:19 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Couldn't you have had a drink of water, or petted the cat, or looked out the window??? Anything!

Actually it took me quite some time to find where my Schermack scan. It wasn't in my US Stamps folder so I had to search my 5 "assorted" folders.

Edited by stallzer - 10/14/2012 11:19 pm

UFOAIRMAIL
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts

Posted 10/15/2012  05:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UFOAIRMAIL to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hey now thats pretty darn great! Thank you ALL so vey much for the wealth of information you have provided..I bet alot of folks will learn from this post! One more thing though that nobody is seeming to pay attention to,,do you guys see the triangle or pyramid with the 9 in it on the side of Geaorges cheek??? Has anyone ever seen such a thing like this before??Please tke a closer look for me,,this is driving me nuts..been super enlarging on my computer all day..its there,not on any of my others (looked at ALOT) and its not pressed in or anything like that,its like it was put there on purpose..some sort of secret code there or something??
Thank you all again for your amazing help!
Dave

UFOAIRMAIL
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts

Posted 10/15/2012  06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UFOAIRMAIL to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Had a much closer look at original size scan and card is 1912

rohumpy
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1849 Posts

Posted 10/15/2012  06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Did anyone read the message on the card? Just shows you the value of 5 cents in 1912.

UFOAIRMAIL
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts

Posted 10/15/2012  10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UFOAIRMAIL to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

these old postcards are very interesting!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05