Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 World Classic Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Fake/Reproduction German stamp overprints from 1930-1945

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

New Zealand
7 Posts
Posted 12/02/2012  10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Kiwimike666sta to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I recently was trolling on E bay and came across some German 3rd Reich stamps (which I collect),with over prints-even some occupied countries overprints.I thought excellent and when to go on reading the item description and then in red but right the way down the description were the words copy/counterfeit/fake.I was disappointed.IN the photo of the reverse there is a small printed word copy.IT looks like they are period stamps with the fake OPs applied-maybe in period ink also.How it is possible to tell for sure between the fakes and the genuines?
I would be interested to find out.Cheers

Send note to staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1530 Posts
Posted 12/02/2012  11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

KIWI -----you need to post a picture to get a respond .Not sure are these Hitler heads or what?

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Israel
5863 Posts
Posted 12/03/2012  02:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Anything like these ?

Genuine stamps with forged overprints [Local use, post war]

Londonbus1

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 12/03/2012  07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

These should really be called obliterations rather than overprints.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2649 Posts
Posted 12/03/2012  08:13 am  Show Profile Check Rileysan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These should really be called obliterations rather than overprints.

Which is a totally accurate characterization. For a short period of time after the end of WWII, postal service had to resume using outdated postage. Many cities/regions used the Hitler definitives as postage but obliterated his face with an overprint that would identify the city of origin.

Unfortunately, there dozens of varieties of both legitimate and fake or fantasy overprints just like what LB1 posted. These overprints are their own area of specialization and require much study.

Brian

Valued Member
New Zealand
7 Posts
Posted 12/16/2012  11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kiwimike666sta to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for the replies-no I am aware of obliterations by the allies-I am meaning for example the stamps from Bohemia/Moravia that have "Wir ist frei"-the stamp has grapes on it.I have seen some and was just wondering.They are not the overprints on the Hitler Heads incidentally-they are regional as in Ostland,Ukraine etc.Thanks to all of you who replied.I am still trying to work out how the forum works.How does one post a picture/image?Thanks :D

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2361 Posts
Posted 12/16/2012  11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

You can't post a picture in "Quick Reply;" it has to be in the longer format, "Reply to Topic."

Valued Member
New Zealand
7 Posts
Posted 12/17/2012  12:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kiwimike666sta to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

IT says Wir sind frei to be accurate and is this set of 3 stamps identical to this picture I found.I note various reputable auction houses sell them and that there seem to be lots of propaganda O/Ps-but how does one know if some modern day forger has not obtained original period stamps and then used a modern reproduction SS stamp for example and stamp the stamp, increasing its value significantly etc.ON E Bay I saw one seller selling a pile of Hitler heads with O/Ps I had never seen and was keen on-then I noticed far down in the E bay description of item that they were "copies/fakes/counterfeits".This was not in different colour type either or bold-rather disingenuous I think.Any thoughts on the matter please?
Thanks

Pillar Of The Community
Portugal
1144 Posts
Posted 12/17/2012  12:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

"Wir sind frei!" overprints are from the Reichenberg-Maffersdorf and Rumburg regions of the Sudetenland. Genuine copies of certain values can be quite rare, so forgeries are common.

As to your larger question of how to tell if overprints are genuine, there is no easy answer. Even if you have access to forgery manuals, exemplars, and speciality publications, there are still those that really require hands-on examination and an experienced eye to detect.

Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
296 Posts
Posted 12/17/2012  9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Art Strohmeier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

See my previous post 'Germany - Sudatenland and Alsace Lorraine Overprints' in 'World Modern Stamps/Mint and Hinged.'
(Sorry, haven't figured out how to link to a previous item.)
I believe these are genuine.

Edited by Art Strohmeier - 12/17/2012 9:46 pm
Valued Member
New Zealand
7 Posts
Posted 01/03/2013  11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kiwimike666sta to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks everyone for your invaluable replies.It is a shame that forgeries exist-why though is a question I wonder, and if there could possibly any other reason than trying to add value to the stamp/s to rip off some buyer/dealer perhaps?I know that they were propaganda tools and also reinforced their territorial possessions of the relevant areas also.
So it is a tricky one.The stamps that are found om postal covers though would in most cases be genuine?Generally the ink was a purpleish blue and also black ink of the same tone as indian ink?I have seen a simple SS stamp(it just says Waffen SS)on a banknote(on eBay) which was in red ink.It looks good but I am wary.I have been fortunate thus far.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1530 Posts
Posted 01/04/2013  08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Kiwimike-----some stamps can't be determined from a scan that is on your computer if they are fake or real. They need to be held and tested before anyone can say its a fake.Some Switzerland fakes are only determined by the type of paper not by design or color .
Every advance collector has been bitten by a fake or forgery ,its all in the learning process of becoming a expert .

Valued Member
New Zealand
7 Posts
Posted 01/12/2013  8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kiwimike666sta to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for that info Floortrader

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05