Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Back of Book

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

US war savings stamps

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5380 Posts
Posted 06/09/2013  6:59 pm  Show Profile Check jamesw's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Went to a outdoor antique market with the wife and older daughter today. A lovely day out.
Didn't find much philatelic stuff worth while, but picked up this US War Savings stamp book. Filled with 172 stamps (18 PS11 postal savings, 150 WS7 war savings and 4 WS8 war savings stamps). Kind of interesting I thought.

this one's sideways...

Send note to staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
10947 Posts
Posted 06/09/2013  7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nice find. I'd be curious what you paid for them, as technically they still have "face value" upon application to:

US Bureau of the Public Debt
200 Third Street
Parkersburg, VA 26106-1328

They can be redeemed for cash or used to the extent of their value in partial payment for a US Savings Bond.

On the other hand, from a philatelic standpoint, the "America On Guard" 10-cent stamps are Scott #PS11 valued at 60 cents each (mint), the "Minuteman" 10-cent stamps are Scott #S1 are valued at 50 cents each (mint); and the 25-cent "Minuteman" stamps are Scott #S2 valued at $7.50 each (mint). Of course, the stamps pasted into the album are no longer "mint" so I expect the value is somewhat diminished, but it would still seem as though the philatelic value would exceed any face value that may still apply.

Edited by wt1 - 06/09/2013 7:58 pm
Send note to staff Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5380 Posts
Posted 06/09/2013  8:25 pm  Show Profile Check jamesw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I don't mind telling. I paid $15 CND. I only wanted to pay 10, but that's as far down from his $20 asking price as he'd come. I think the face value would be $17.80.
I didn't figure they were worth much philatelically, since they were not mint, on the other hand I figured all those stamps pasted into the album has some intrinsic value at least.
And anyway, I'd never seen one, so why not.

...An after thought, regarding catalogue value. Scott's Specialized doesn't give a used value for the 1941 'on guard' postal saving stamps, but the 1942 war savings are .20 for each of the 10 stamps (150) and .25 for the 25 denomination (4).
So there's at least $31 in catalogue value (not including the postal savings and the little booklet itself). So I paid roughly 50% catalogue value (also figuring for Canada/US exchange).
So I suppose I didn't overpay.

Edited by jamesw - 06/09/2013 9:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
Posted 06/09/2013  10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just kind of curious, but do the books themselves have any collector value? I have a couple that are of a different design, but I bought them just because I thought they were neat looking. One of mine is empty and one has a single $5 savings stamp in it.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
10947 Posts
Posted 06/10/2013  01:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

As to the question about collector books for these stamps, eBay has several of them listed, but few have actually sold, suggesting the demand for them is quite low. The few album books that have sold seem to be in the $5 to $10 range (without stamps).

Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
Posted 06/10/2013  02:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I figured they would look neat on an album page inserted into the Saving stamp section of a US album. Maybe using large corner mounts to hold them. I think I paid $1 for mine (empty, with the exception of the one stamp).

Edited by spain_1850 - 06/10/2013 02:15 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
985 Posts
Posted 06/10/2013  6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pretty cool - anyone else noticed they "cheated" by using 6 spots for the 2 25 cent stamps? :)

Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
Posted 02/05/2014  10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglebub7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Looking at the OP image above I noticed the first 18 are clearly Postal Savings, the other I can't really make out but they almost look like War Savings. I have a few of these MNH and would like to know if the Postal and war Savings were interchangeable?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05