Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Covers
Share this topic!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

NRA Covers

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
3793 Posts

Posted 06/22/2013  1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Hi All

I was sorting through some of my boxes of covers and I have a couple that have the N.R.A. logo (National Recovery Act) on them. I have 2 different types but was wondering just how many types of logos exists on covers.

Granted, both these covers are tatty somewhat but they are interesting nonetheless. Both covers appear like one over the other here but they are actually single covers. I don't know why they were done that way?

Chimo

Bujutsu

Send note to staff

doug2222
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2361 Posts

Posted 06/22/2013  1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Probably a correspondence course. In the Depression, everybody and his brother advertised "courses" in radio, aircraft maintenance, and small engine repair. Look at any Popular Mechanics of the early 1930s.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
3793 Posts

Posted 06/22/2013  2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks doug2222

I was kind of wondering the same thing myself.

Chimo

Bujutsu

wt1
Pillar Of The Community

United States
9775 Posts

Posted 06/22/2013  2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

For the record, NRA = National Recovery Administration. The logos referred to on the covers shown are one in the same, the only difference being size and, of course, one is printed in blue and the other in black. The proper logo should have the eagle printed in blue (but black was apparently acceptable when B&W printing was used.) In fact, three color labels were often used, too, with the blue eagle at the center and the words "NRA" and "We Do Our Part" printed in red, all on a white background.

As for the National Radio Institute, as mentioned earlier, they were a correspondence course company founded in 1914. McGraw-Hill purchased them in 1968, renaming it NRI-McGraw Hill Continuing Education Center. In 1999 it was announced they would be phased out due to "changes in the marketplace" and they subsequently ceased operations on March 31, 2002.

(Trivia: The NRA logo was the inspiration for naming the Philadelphia Eagles Football Team.)

Edited by wt1 - 06/22/2013 2:17 pm

jamesw
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
5161 Posts

Posted 06/23/2013  09:20 am  Show Profile Check jamesw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

For fun I'll repost my NRA cinderella.

Nothing like a little colour to liven things up!

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
3793 Posts

Posted 06/23/2013  12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks all for your input.

I have seen labels similar to the one that jamesw has posted. I am sure there must be a variety of these.

I will have to check through my Cinderella collection to see what I have.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05