Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 World Modern Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

ID Japanese Revenue Stamps

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stargoat
1 Posts

Posted 07/02/2013  5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stargoat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Here are photos of what I've been told are Japanese Revenue Stamps that I've found inside wood cases for vintage Japan telescopes from the 1950's or 1960's.

Can anyone confirm this and tell me what the dates of these stamps are and or any other information written on the stamps. What does the number 18 refer to etc.?

I'm hoping if the stamps have some form of a date, it will help me to tell when the telescopes were sold and or imported to the USA from Japan.

Thanks, Stephen

Edited by Stargoat - 07/02/2013 5:47 pm
Send note to staff

Philatarium
Valued Member

United States
413 Posts

Posted 07/02/2013  6:26 pm  Show Profile Check Philatarium's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi, Stephen --

Sometimes I can answer the Japanese revenue questions, but I don't think this is one of those times, except to say that they're definitely Japanese, and they look more like seals from a trade or manufacturers' association, as opposed to a government-issued stamp.

I don't think there's any date on them. If 18 were a date, then in this context it would be Showa 18, which is 1943, and I think that's too early. One thing that would confirm that it's post-WW2 is that the writing goes from left to right, which was one of the modernization conventions that got put into place after the end of WW2.

Are both telescopes the same brand? If so, perhaps "18" signifies a particular manufacturer?

Hopefully someone will come along who can provide more than my idle speculation.

-- Dave

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

khj
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
5750 Posts

Posted 07/02/2013  7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and they look more like seals from a trade or manufacturers' association, as opposed to a government-issued stamp.

I'd say you are probably on the right track, Dave. The bottom arc of the bottom stamp translates (at least in Chinese) roughly to:

Japanese Plywood(?)Industry Union

Hopefully, tonymacg, PostmasterGS... will chime in with the correct translation and everybody can have a chuckle at my expense.

k

Edited by khj - 07/02/2013 7:32 pm

tonymacg
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
3271 Posts

Posted 07/02/2013  7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Khj is quite right: these are 'passed inspection' labels from the Japan Plywood Manufacturers' Association. There are no dates on the labels.

The '18' is likely to be a member number. It can't be the Showa year, because the Association was only founded in July 1965 (or Showa 40).

Philatarium
Valued Member

United States
413 Posts

Posted 07/02/2013  7:57 pm  Show Profile Check Philatarium's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks, Khj and Tony! That should help the original poster at least bracket the possible timeframe.

-- Dave

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05