Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Philatelic Book, Reference, Supply and Software

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Scott Specialty Binders

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Timm
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts

Posted 07/10/2013  3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Two Post VS. Three Ring Scott Specialty Binders

Which is your favorite and why?

Send note to staff

spain_1850
Valued Member

United States
363 Posts

Posted 07/10/2013  3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I've got both, but I prefer the 2-post for album pages and the 3-ring for stock pages.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

ekbustad
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts

Posted 07/10/2013  7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ekbustad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I use neither. Instead, my Scott Specialty pages are in slightly oversized 3-ring D-ring binders from Subway. I got rid of my 2-post binders some years ago, as it was too hard to insert new pages and the Scott 3-ring binders where O-ring style, which I also dislike.

The O-ring binders were too deep (from spine to front edge, which left them sticking out from my bookshelf and the front and back pages had a tendency to drop down toward the spin,curving around the rings, unless I was very careful.

I note that the Supersafe mint sheet binders are very similar to those that I have from Subway and would work just as well.

apastuszak
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
2131 Posts

Posted 07/10/2013  11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I personally despise 2 post binders and the demons in whatever level of hell that invented them. They're awesome when you open the book to the middle. But try mounting a stamp on page 3.

Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com

Timm
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts

Posted 07/11/2013  01:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Did you ever think to open up the binder, remove the first couple of pages to have a easily accessible album page? A little more work than a three ring binder but I think worth it!

spain_1850
Valued Member

United States
363 Posts

Posted 07/11/2013  02:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I actually split up the pages, from a single volume specialty album, into 2 specialty binders. Lot easier to work on when there are fewer pages per album.

Terence Collins
Pillar Of The Community

United Kingdom
972 Posts

Posted 07/11/2013  03:22 am  Show Profile Check Terence Collins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I use Frank Godden 2 post binders and Stanley Gibbons 22 ring Windsor binders. I find it best with both binders to remove a page to work on it flat on a desktop. Pretty much essential if doing any writing up on the page.

Terry

Edited by Terence Collins - 07/11/2013 03:23 am

NeoRev
Valued Member

United States
59 Posts

Posted 07/15/2013  4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NeoRev to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I know I'm in the minority here but I like those old 2 post binders, I like the "bound" look you get.
If I was going to go with ring binders I would go the Lindner, SAFE, Lighthouse, etc route.

I'm in the process of rebuilding an old Scott 2 post binder from scratch, I do a little bit of bookbinding so I figure I'd see what I can come up with. I'll post up a new thread when I'm done.

Terence Collins
Pillar Of The Community

United Kingdom
972 Posts

Posted 07/15/2013  5:09 pm  Show Profile Check Terence Collins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi NeoRev,

I too like the 2 post type binder. I too have renovated six Frank Godden hand made 2 post binders. New with pages these would cost somewhere around 220 ($331) each from Stanley Gibbons, a total of about $2000 . Total cost to buy the six used binders and materials and pages about 300 ($451). I use the SG Graduate 150 lb pages, which have a crease line a wee bit in from the holes. Fold sharply along this frontward and backward before putting the leaves (with separate punched interleaving) in the albums and the leaves lie pretty much flat wherever you open the album. And, as you say, you have the nice 'bound' look. Well worth the effort.

Terry

NeoRev
Valued Member

United States
59 Posts

Posted 07/16/2013  12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NeoRev to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hey Terence,

Yeah those Frank Godden binders are nice! Having a little know how is always a good way to save some money.
How big are those binders and what is the size of the workable area on the pages you mentioned?

Terence Collins
Pillar Of The Community

United Kingdom
972 Posts

Posted 07/16/2013  2:40 pm  Show Profile Check Terence Collins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi NeoRev,

The best Frank Godden binders are "The Popular" and "The Warwick" types. Only the last is made now, but the first is quarter bound green Moroccan leather and worth looking out for on the bay. The binders are 10.75" high x 10.5" wide x 2" thick and can take 50 to 60+ leaves easy allowing for thicknessing caused by adding the stamps (and mounts if used).

Stanley Gibbons' "Graduate" leaves are about 10.5" high x 9.75" wide with 2 holes. The crease line is 0.75" in from the left hand edge. The leaves have a faint grey quadrille area 7" wide x 8.75" high.

Stanley Gibbons "Devon" glassine interleaving fits perfectly and is better (and cheaper) than buying the leaves with it attached, and can easily be replaced if it gets creased. I will try to take some snaps of a before and after of an album I am doing up this weekend and post them on here.

All best
Terry

PS. I don't bother with the double linen hinged leaves as they are hellish expensive and the "Graduate" leaves work just fine, are way cheaper and are top quality acid free 150 lb paper. TC.

Edited by Terence Collins - 07/16/2013 2:52 pm

chipg
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts

Posted 07/16/2013  4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

NeoRev
I've managed to pick up some old (but new) Godden DeLuxe albums for under $100 each (with slipcases and pages). They are beautiful. As Terry says, the double linen pages are astoundingly expensive, so try not to get hooked on them. I've found enough 2nd hand pages to keep my for a while.

Here is the template I made up for my layouts. The numbers are the distances right and left of the center of the page where I have the guides set in Powerpoint (which I use for layouts). The grid size is the sum of the two numbers left and right - 7.15" and top and bottom - 8.73"

When I print the pages, I drop out the grid and the images and just print the boxes and other additions.

Here are a couple of pages I've done to give you an idea of what you can put on a page:

Terence Collins
Pillar Of The Community

United Kingdom
972 Posts

Posted 07/16/2013  6:28 pm  Show Profile Check Terence Collins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi chipg,

Nice work. Stunningly well done!

Terry

NeoRev
Valued Member

United States
59 Posts

Posted 07/16/2013  8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NeoRev to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Terry,

Thanks for all the info on the binders and pages. I'll be sticking with the blank Scott specialty pages for now, although I may get some of the quadrille ones as well.
Looking forward to seeing some pics of what you've done.

Chipg,

Thanks for the images, those pages look just about perfect (I'm a sucker for borders)
You have a beautiful and informative layout, I hope to have a similar arrangement with my Philadelphia related Revenue material.

chipg
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts

Posted 07/16/2013  10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

NeoRev:
I'm sure you'll do great with whatever you pick. My only advice would be to keep it simple. When I plotted how I would attack these albums, I decided that I wanted to match the look of a mid 50s-60s typewriter style of page. My inspiration was actually the the Phillips collections in the British Postal Museum.( http://catalogue.postalheritage.org...hillips.html )
Here's a link to a sample page: http://catalogue.postalheritage.org...I_pg_045.jpg
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
C.

Edited by chipg - 07/16/2013 10:40 pm

NeoRev
Valued Member

United States
59 Posts

Posted 07/18/2013  12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NeoRev to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

chipg,
Thanks for the links, some great examples there. I too like the old school typewriter look. Simple is definitely the way I'm gonna go, let the stamps be the focal point.
A question on printing, do you print at home or at an office supply store like Staples?

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05