Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Modern Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

First Look at US Harry Potter Stamp Booklet

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

omxfl
Valued Member
131 Posts

Posted 11/19/2013  08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here are some images - all these are now available from http://stores.ebay.com/US-Postal-Service-Store

As expected, the uncut press sheet is in the 1x6 format.
Let's hope there will be a press release today that mentions the print quantity for both press sheets. Even the one w/ die-cuts should be of interest to collectors as the booklet will be unfolded.

Edited by omxfl - 11/19/2013 09:06 am
Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

sdtom
Pillar Of The Community

United States
584 Posts

Posted 11/19/2013  12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The images look very nice. I'll have to use images of the movie posters as a cachet. Should be a lot of fun.
Tom

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10294 Posts

Posted 11/19/2013  1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here's CNN's take on the subject ... with the headline "First Living People on US Postage Stamps are Brits!"

http://crossfire.blogs.cnn.com/2013...s-are-brits/

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10294 Posts

Posted 11/21/2013  8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I inadvertently posted these questions in the wrong thread, so I'm posting them again here:

Maybe I'm making more of it than there is, but does anyone know if there are any plate numbers shown on the booklet of Harry Potter stamps? Is there any microprinting? The USPS specs for this issue hasn't been released yet. All I know for sure is that the printer is Ashton-Potter.

Anyway, given the fact that these stamps are being issued in "waves" (one presently; one in December; and another in January) makes me wonder if there will be different plate numbers or minor varieties that only avid flyspecking collectors (or Harry Potter fans) will find and/or want to acquire.

[NOTE:] Since posting these comments, I have been advised there is microprinting on each of the stamps, but no plate numbers.

Edited by wt1 - 11/21/2013 8:58 pm

Allegheny
Valued Member
Indonesia
32 Posts

Posted 11/24/2013  6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Allegheny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

So do we have a fixed number of print run for the uncut press sheet yet?

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10294 Posts

Posted 11/24/2013  7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nothing's in print to confirm this but it's being reported that the initial print run for Press Sheets is 2500 no die cut and 2500 with die cut press sheets for this issue, which is typical for most commemorative issues. However, given the cash cow that the USPS has on Press Sheets, especially this one which is apparently popular with not only the stamp collector, but the Harry Potter collector, there seems to be no provision in place to stop the the USPS from printing more later on, if they felt it to be profitable.

What is unique about this issue is the format, as there are six (6) souvenir booklets, each booklet containing twenty (20) face different stamps per press sheet at a face value of $55.20.

apastuszak
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
2187 Posts

Posted 11/24/2013  11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

If they wanted to celebrate Harry Potter, why celebrate the movies? Why not the books instead? Put the book covers on stamps along with artists renditions of the characters. Did we really need living actors on these stamps?

Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10294 Posts

Posted 11/24/2013  11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did we really need living actors on these stamps?

No. And that's really the reason for the major objection of the stamp by traditional collectors. Not only does it depict living people, but not even Americans. One would have thought that some great American hero or well respected personality would have been issued first -- and certainly before Harry Potter characters.

Don't get me wrong, some fantasy stamps have been issued in the past for pop culture themes like Looney Tunes, Star Wars, Disney, the Simpsons, etc., but at least they had American origin, which is what the US stamp program should be about.

Riderontherain
Valued Member
122 Posts

Posted 11/25/2013  6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riderontherain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I received my Harry Potter stamps yesterday. The press sheet (without die cuts) looks marvelous. I can easily see this selling out in no time.

A slight disappointment is that the booklet came folded, which puts a crease mark in the middle of the panoramic picture. In my view the USPS should have packaged it unfolded.

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10294 Posts

Posted 11/25/2013  6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Has anyone read the latest Linn's Stamp News suggesting that there is a "secret message" contained in seven of the stamps? There's also microprinting on all 20 stamps. Have you found the location on every stamp?

I don't currently subscribe to Linn's but this is the headline being reported on their website:

Edited by wt1 - 11/25/2013 6:40 pm

Jenny2013
Valued Member

United States
75 Posts

Posted 11/25/2013  10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I can't wait for someone to share their photos of the actual stamps so we can try to decode the message. I don't have any of the stamps yet or I would take some photos.

landoquakes
Valued Member

United States
190 Posts

Posted 11/26/2013  12:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I got my two booklets in the mail today and they do look really great, very different from any other US stamp issue. They will be fun to use on the mail. I brought up the topic at my local stamp meeting last week and one collector lamented that the folder will be hard to put in his album. Another collector went out and ordered 50 sets!

Riderontherain
Valued Member
122 Posts

Posted 11/26/2013  04:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riderontherain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The phrase is:
You/have/a place/at Hogwarts/School of/Witchcraft/and Wizardry

which is scattered across seven different stamps on all five panes.

The resolution restriction on image attachments on this site is preventing me from posting pictures of the stamps with the microprintings showing up clearly.

mark44004
Valued Member

United States
87 Posts

Posted 11/27/2013  12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mark44004 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I recently bought a booklet of these stamps. They look cool but how in the world would one mount these mint within ones stamp pages? When you open it, it becomes quite lengthy. I'd be willing to trade my mint book for a complete set postally used. I don't suspect that will be an easy task since I can't imagine the masses using this stamp on their mailings.

sdtom
Pillar Of The Community

United States
584 Posts

Posted 11/27/2013  1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I think that the books should have been supported instead of the movies but does this issue fall into the new policy of stamps as a promoting tool. How do people think about the idea that Hollywood paid for this?
Tom

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.1 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05