Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Modern Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

4737A Tufted Puffin

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lpmiller
Valued Member
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
487 Posts

Posted 11/15/2013  10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lpmiller to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

The November Linn's notes a new major variety of the 86 cent Tufted Puffin stamp. This latest variety has been given the designation of 4737A. The most noticeable feature differentiating this from the 4737 is that the original printing (4737) has an orange 2013 date. The second printing version 4737A has a black/grey 2013 date. Since 4737A is a major number, I would imagine that the supplemental pages for 2013 will allow spaces for both. However, I never can tell about Mystic!

Send note to staff

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10784 Posts

Posted 11/15/2013  11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I believe Scott 4737A with the different color date is a P2222 reprint variety, too.

One has to wonder the quantity of the reprint that was issued, since it's a soon-to-be-replaced stamp as soon as the 2014 price changes go into effect.

The Mystic pages will probably make room for it, but since it's a definitive, you may not necessarily see it in the next supplement. Nonetheless, it is easy to amend the Mystic pages to make room for the stamp, if absolutely necessary.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

Riderontherain
Valued Member
131 Posts

Posted 11/16/2013  03:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riderontherain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Does anyone know the date of the reprint, and whether the reprint involves press sheets without die cuts? I am able to get any details on this reprint.

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10784 Posts

Posted 11/16/2013  07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I don't think such details (date of reprint, quantity, etc.) was formally released by the USPS. In any case, no press sheets that I am aware of were ever created for stamp reprints (so far) ... but let's not give the USPS any ideas!

As for availability of these stamps, I understand the Oneco, CT post office's philatelic desk has the stamp variety available for mail order, for those interested.

Speaking of the Oneco, CT post office, I found this 15 year old newspaper article on the internet about it ... I understand the same postmaster is still there and still helps out stamp collectors around the region and by mail:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...6008,3607781

Edited by wt1 - 11/16/2013 08:04 am

Petert4522
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1022 Posts

Posted 11/16/2013  10:09 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Yes, Wt1, the Oneco CT post office as well as the Stamp Shoppe in Minneapolis will take personalized orders. I collect Plate Number Coils, and these two philatelic "windows" will still sell coils in any length AND ship them rolled up, not folded!

Peter

Riderontherain
Valued Member
131 Posts

Posted 11/16/2013  6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riderontherain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I think in the past reprints would show up in the USPS philatelic catalogue. Hopefully it will happen with this stamp too. It is just too inconvenient to contact the CT post office for just a single stamp.

That said, the article about the CT post office is really interesting. I wonder how many post offices around the country still have a "philatelic window" to service collectors? It must be a dying breed.

omxfl
Valued Member
141 Posts

Posted 11/17/2013  4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I think those days are gone when SFS informs us about reprints. Now it's just down to luck to even find out there have been reprints...

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10784 Posts

Posted 11/17/2013  5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

When I hear of reprints, I have a database noting them. This may not be a complete list, but for 2013, at least some of the reprints are noted below:

Scott 4721 - Emancipation Proclamation (original printing 45 million; 10 million stamp reprint reported, for total printing of 55 million).

Scott 4737A - Tufted Puffins (original printing of 30 million; reprint reported with plate number 2, production numbers unknown).

Scott 4742 - Rosa Parks (original printing of 63 million; reprint of 20 million reported, for total printing of 83 million).

Scott 4743-4747 - Muscle Cars (original printing 35 million; Plate V2 reprint of 30 million; Plate V3 reprint at 30 million, for total printing of 95 million).

Scott 4791-4795 - New England Coastal Lighthouses (original printing 81 million; second printing reportedly ordered, quantity unknown).

For those who collect these "varieties" the latest thing the printers are doing to identify one printing from the other is to add a "V2" or "V3" on the REVERSE side of the pane to identify the reprint, rather than any changes on the face of the stamp or within the "plate number".

In any event, the USPS does not make it easy for the average collector to find out this information, nor do they make it easy for collectors to find these varieties. It seems to me the USPS is hurting themselves by not offering these varieties to collectors, but as I've been told several times, the USPS no longer caters to the stamp collector anymore.

Edited by wt1 - 11/17/2013 5:32 pm

Riderontherain
Valued Member
131 Posts

Posted 11/17/2013  6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riderontherain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

wt1, which of the reprints in your list besides the puffins have been assigned a major Scott number (if any)? I am not aware of any.

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10784 Posts

Posted 11/17/2013  6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

None, as far as I know. The only reason for a major Scott number is a change in the design. In the case of the Tufted Puffins, the date color changed, so it qualifies for a major number. The other "reprints" noted above are merely that ... reprints ... no change in design at all, so it gets listed altogether by Scott.

eyeonwall
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts

Posted 11/17/2013  9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Peter - Oneco is no longer able to break up coils of 100.

omxfl
Valued Member
141 Posts

Posted 11/20/2013  2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I just called SFS and for those interested in this reprint, the order numbers are as follows:
115044 pane of 20
115040 single
(blocks of 4 and strips of 10 are also available, of course)
I just placed my order and hope they'll send me the correct one...!

Riderontherain
Valued Member
131 Posts

Posted 11/20/2013  5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riderontherain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
115040 single

Are you sure? This would be highly unusual for a relatively low value stamp--but good if it is true!

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10784 Posts

Posted 11/20/2013  5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for the info. I'm about to place an order with SFS, so I'll include one of this variety and see what happens.

omxfl
Valued Member
141 Posts

Posted 11/20/2013  7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I called to see if SFS were actually aware of the reprint... :) To my surprise I had an older gentleman on the phone who knew about it as someone just placed an order for this reprint. He gave me the item numbers, but I'd suggest you phone in your order to make sure the numbers are what they are supposed to be. You'll also get your stamps sooner as mail orders are very slow...
Good luck everyone!

omxfl
Valued Member
141 Posts

Posted 11/25/2013  5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I received my stamps today. Here's a scan of both the original and reprint:

The color difference in '2013' is quite obvious. In addition, the reprint has one fewer plate number. I guess that's part of the cost-saving measures? ;)
I haven't been able to find any other differences, but please report any in case there are a few more.

I just had a much closer look. The '2013' appears now in the same color as 'USA' which are both pixelated now (only '2013' was pixelated before). Also, the 'Tufted Puffins' and '86' are pixelated now. But one has to zoom into the scan to see it.

Edited by omxfl - 11/25/2013 6:03 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05