Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Stamps and Covers Discussions
 US Covers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Wrong Cache on FDC

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jogil
Pillar Of The Community

830 Posts

Posted 03/11/2014  06:13 am  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Is a FDC with the wrong cache on it but with the right stamp and post mark unusual or a curiosity?

Send note to staff

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10741 Posts

Posted 03/11/2014  08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Merely a curiosity.

When I was a kid, I used to buy the cacheted envelopes for certain stamp issues and service first day covers myself. Every once and awhile companies like Artcraft, Artmaster, etc., offered a packet of cacheted envelopes that were over-runs of past issues. I used a few with the wrong cachet for some stamps, merely as an oddity; the rest could be used for general mail, or in my case, I put several away in a box for future use -- but never used them. In fact, I think I still have a few lying around!

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

KD`
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts

Posted 03/11/2014  10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KD` to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

There may be some that might be worth a bit more than normal. For example, Canada Post issued a stamp in 1979 honouring the author Frederic Grove. Unfortunately, the portrait on the cachet was not of him. The error was realized shortly after issue, and the covers were recalled. The current Unitrade value for this cover is about 3 times that of any contemporary cover, which is still not a lot.

Similarly, in 2009, Canada Post issued a stamp honouring the Silver Dart, the plane that made the first flight in Canada. At the time, there was some discussion over whether the plane pictured on the cachet was in fact the Silver Dart. I`m not sure how that was resolved, but the covers don`t seem to have any extra value.

jogil
Pillar Of The Community

830 Posts

Posted 03/11/2014  3:45 pm  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I think that an error on an official first day cover may be worth more than on a private one.

ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
654 Posts

Posted 03/11/2014  11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Artcraft is still selling 'over-run' lots of cacheted envelopes for ~11c each.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

jogil
Pillar Of The Community

830 Posts

Posted 03/12/2014  3:57 pm  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

They are also selling many older FDC's that were not made by them as well on their website.

sdtom
Pillar Of The Community

United States
584 Posts

Posted 03/16/2014  1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Merely a curiosity.
Tom

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05