Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Topical Stamp Collecting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

The Bible

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member

Germany
211 Posts
Posted 04/25/2009  7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Drudenfus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I thought about putting together a topical collection about the Bible. Not the Bible as the book itself, but the stories it tells, persons and places.

Now there are literally thousands of stamps about Jesus. Every Christmas more are coming out, most of which, naturally, show scenes of Jesus' birth, Easter stamps show him on the cross and "ascending" (don't know the cerrect translation...).

But there seem to be very few stamps showing other parts of his life, I can't think of any stamps I have to topics from the Old Testament.

Maybe you know of any or have some to show?

Send note to staff

Learn More...
United States
3786 Posts
Posted 04/25/2009  8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KirkS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting idea for a topical -- I don't know of any (I know nothing about worldwide stamps) BUT I am interested to see what you find, so please keep us updated.

KirkS

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
Posted 04/25/2009  8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Knudson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Not one of mine yet, but is inspired by Jacob in Genesis 32.

Valued Member
Germany
211 Posts
Posted 04/25/2009  8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drudenfus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

@KirkS: I'll certainly keep you updated
I already found some Jesus-stamps, I'll take some pictures later when the light is better (it's 2:35 am here right now ).

@Knudson: That one is really nice, thanks for showing!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
522 Posts
Posted 04/25/2009  9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ziggy9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Try this site. look under subjects like Christmas, Judacia. Stained glass, etc. I am sure you will locate many candidates for your collection.

https://www.postbeeld.com/app?page=...nal&sp=Spink

Richard

Valued Member
Germany
211 Posts
Posted 04/25/2009  9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drudenfus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for the link, it is indeed very helpful

Learn More...
United States
3786 Posts
Posted 04/25/2009  10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KirkS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ziggy

I agree with Drudenfus -- that is indeed a cool link!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2615 Posts
Posted 04/26/2009  04:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Drudenfus, You might as well start collecting stamps from the Vatican, most of them qualify!

Valued Member
Germany
211 Posts
Posted 04/26/2009  05:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drudenfus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You might as well start collecting stamps from the Vatican, most of them qualify!

I just had a look, and no, most of them don't.
Most of the stamps from Vatican show Saints, Popes, Cardinals, Bishops and Artists. Many issues are commems to some anniversaries, for example of the swiss guard, again birthdays of saints and church history, all without reference to biblical history.

They have many issues that qualify, yes, but most of them don't.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3516 Posts
Posted 04/26/2009  07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Drudenfus Maybee I'll finally have something to send you I have many stamps with Jesus. As soon as I get a chance I'll start looking. I have been keeping my eyes open for other stuff but no luck yet.

I'm assuming this collection will be used. ( I guess I should have asked first.

Dianne

Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
Germany
211 Posts
Posted 04/26/2009  11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drudenfus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

@Dianne:
That would be great

I dug through a box of world stamps and I found quite a few stamps.
Most, again, Jesus. But I also found a few others.

For example I found a small collection of Adam and Eve stamps, here is the one I like best of the bunch:

I like the style of the painting and I especially like how the snake is painted, with arms and feet and a human head.

Valued Member
Germany
211 Posts
Posted 04/26/2009  2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drudenfus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a set I found, depicting several events in the life of Jesus:

Now the problem I'm facing is the following:
Should I split up sets like this and arrange them chronologically in relation to the events from the Bible, or should I leave full sets together?

For example I could design a page with all the stamps that show scenes from the healing of the blind, no matter which set they came from.
Or I could make a page each for each set. Thus it would be easyer to keep track on what I already have and what I don't have, but it'd be hard to arrange the stamps in some kind of logical order.

Somehow I prefer the first variant, because it would provide a better way for presentation. The second variant would be more "neatly" arranged with stamps being easier to find.

Learn More...
United States
3786 Posts
Posted 04/26/2009  3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KirkS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I'm not one who thinks it's an absolute sin to separate a strip, but I'd think carefully first. If the strip is plentiful, of minimum catalog value, etc., the maybe there's no real harm. But decide for sure before you separate anything. And consider your future acquisitions, will you be comfortable dividing all of them or will they be too valuable?

But as for my opinion, personally, I like the strip and I'd leave them intact and find another way to organize the collection -- either by country or date of issue. And yes, I'd make my own pages describing the content of the sets.

KirkS

P.S. sin, get it?

Pillar Of The Community
Philippines
1130 Posts
Posted 04/26/2009  3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

nice stamps guys!

Valued Member
Germany
211 Posts
Posted 04/27/2009  02:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drudenfus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not one who thinks it's an absolute sin to separate a strip, but I'd think carefully first. If the strip is plentiful, of minimum catalog value, etc., the maybe there's no real harm. But decide for sure before you separate anything. And consider your future acquisitions, will you be comfortable dividing all of them or will they be too valuable?

The real "problem" is not the seperation of the strip itself, but the "storage" of the stamps from one set on different pages.

But you're right, I have to think that over carefully, before I start designing and printing anything.

Quote:
P.S. sin, get it?

Yes, got it

Here's one more I found:
Judith with the head of Holofernes

You have to click on that one yourself

Edited by Drudenfus - 04/27/2009 02:15 am
Valued Member
Netherlands
333 Posts
Posted 04/27/2009  02:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jan-Simon to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I will check this when I am back home again, but I thought Israel had a number of stamps with pictures from the Old Testament. David etc.

Apart from that, isn't it funny - or at least ironic - how these Dunes (supposed to be stamps from Arab Gulf states) show very explicit Christian scenes?

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05