Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New to stamps, have some questions. (albums, etc.)  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add geinah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Over the holidays, my grandfather gave me some old stamps. He didn't have them in an album, they were mostly in ziploc bags, but I sorted them all out. He said he got them a long time ago from a friend who was postmaster near our small town.

I put them in a stock book according to country and started doing some research about the hobby in general. They aren't in terrible shape, but not great either. Most of them are acceptable. There are a lot of duplicates.

I discovered I have a stamp store like 10 minutes from my house! I was excited! I went in to buy the stock book and the guy could not have looked more bored. There were piles of stuff everywhere, some of it looked interesting, but honestly I got the feeling I was annoying him.

So now I'm left with what to collect and how to collect it. I wanted to focus on stamps with rainbows, but I have no idea how to put them in albums. I like how album pages look, with the blank areas you fill in, but is there a way to make your own pages with the specific topic you collect?

I've read about Vario and Lightning and Mystic and .... it's all so overwhelming, I wish I could just see samples of what you're all talking about. Might all the different kinds of albums be in a stamp store? Or a show? I think there will be one in April around here.

Would eBay be the best way to find stamps for such a specific topic?

That Smithsonian album where you collect one from each country looked interesting too. Intimidating as heck, but interesting...

Thanks for any info you can give! I'm working on using the Scott catalogs at my library to identify what I have.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1317 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Album pages can be custom made. Stock pages can be utilized. Try the search window at the upper right of page as all of these topics have been discussed. Others will also chime in.

I recommend the American Topical Association. They have a checklist of rainbows on stamps and list 391 items.

http://americantopicalassn.org/checklists.shtml

http://americantopicalassn.org/pdf/...al020117.pdf
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1317 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1317 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Albums,custom pages,stock pages. There are tons more in the search function.

http://goscf.com/t/37191&SearchTerm...,album,pages

http://goscf.com/t/23335&SearchTerm...,album,pages

http://goscf.com/t/8740&SearchTerms...,album,pages

.stampcommunity.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41544&SearchTerms=custom,album,pages
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4029 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   5:32 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi geinah, and welcome to the forum. I like your idea of collecting rainbows, and you are not the only one!
As a matter of fact there is a post on this forum "rainbows on stamps". If you use the "search" button on top of this page you can search for this post and you might come up with an idea or two.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4029 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   5:47 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The title of the rainbows post is just "rainbows". Sorry for the wrong title!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1317 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found under "rainbows" so I decided to help out.

http://goscf.com/t/20490&SearchTerms=rainbows,
Edited by redwoodrandy - 01/11/2017 5:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1317 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1317 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A profitable collectible.

Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add geinah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like I have a lot of reading to do! Thank you so much for the specific links, they are really helpful <3 Collecting rainbows seemed like a small enough task - there are hundreds, but not thousands!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
526 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the hobby, geinah! I hope you find it as enjoyable as the rest of us do, and good luck with your topical collection. And thumbs down to that storefront dealer. With so few of them left you'd think the guy would fall all over himself to please a new customer. Don't be discouraged by him.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1731 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   10:26 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! You've come to the right place and you'll be sure to get lots of helpful advice here. There are a lot of options for mounting and displaying your stamps. For a topical collection like rainbows, Vario sheets work well. Here are some various options from a seller many of us buy from regularly:

http://stores.ebay.com/Designer-Sta...4634.c0.m322

You need to store these pages in a binder of some sort. The same seller sells some really nice ones, but regular ol' office binders will work in a pinch, too. Some people custom make their own albums on the computer or even draw them out by hand.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Queen Victoria Penny Red Identification
  gernany - 1922 -1923 3000 Mk - blackish brown ??
  Need one more of these.
  Help with a US Internal revenue, series of 1875 - private?
  Advice for selling an Inherited collection on Ebay
  Print your own pages (like Steiner) but in SG format?
  1870 GB #58 where is the plate number?
  Set of 1932 Sydney Harbour Bridge stamps
  Spain - 75th Anniversary - Revenue?
  Request to Post Avatar
  Rare unique combination of cracked plates
  October 1862 Revenue Canx - Let's see them!
  Latvia New Year Postcards--Humorous? Quirky?
  Double and Triple Transfers
  Need advice on how to start a collection the 'right way'
  Want Lists Online? Etc...
  Cape of Good Hope : Revenues.
  Buying USA Discount Postage Stamps
  Need help identifying these stamps
  200 Res Brazilian stamp. Any info on this?
  Medallion One Cent Blue?
  Calling any platers of 1857 10 cent type V #35
  Rocky Mountain Stamp Show ROMPEX
  Plate Block Album and Mounting Suggestions
  Unknown #483 Plate Number ?

Help with a US Internal revenue, series of 1875 - private?
  gernany - 1922 -1923 3000 Mk - blackish brown ??
  Print your own pages (like Steiner) but in SG format?
  Double and Triple Transfers
  Queen Victoria Penny Red Identification
  Any interest in world Postal Stationery?
  Are cheap album manufacturers days numbered?
  Advice for selling an Inherited collection on Ebay
  How can I tell if a stamp on cover has a watermark?
  Need one more of these.
  Let's see your most recently purchased stamps
  Cover Calendar for month and day -PICS
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Want Lists Online? Etc...
  Ascher - Groe Ganzsachen-Katalog
  Set of 1932 Sydney Harbour Bridge stamps
  Sailboats
  Flags on Stamps.......New Additions !
  Barcelona & Catalonia Cinderellas
  1870 GB #58 where is the plate number?
  5c Columbian Double Transfer?
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Need advice on how to start a collection the 'right way'
  Collecting by Engraver

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05