Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Issues With Combined Shipping  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
953 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   1:47 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
It seems some eBay sellers are not doing whatever it takes to ensure that buyers of multiple 'Buy it Now' items get credit for combined shipping.

I bought two items today as BINs. Added them to my cart then clicked on the request for combined shipping invoice. I got a red bordered notice that the seller does not offer such. In the listing it says $3 shipping all additional free.

This happens time and time again on BIN items. On a straight auction sale I can commit to buy then ask for an invoice. I apparently cannot do that on BIN items. I have to go trough checkout including processing a payment before the seller gets a notice of purchase. I wound up paying double shipping and including a note asking if he could refund me $3.

I know this has not happened on other such purchases so there must be something sellers can check when listing BIN stuff to ensure buyers get a break on combined shipping.

I sometimes think I must be doing something wrong. Am I?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tvorog to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some European sellers have this red-bordered notice appearing automatically. It doesn't mean you are doing something wrong, and it doesn't mean that the seller doesn't combine shipping costs. It only means that eBay screwed up something in this seller's settings, and he doesn't know, how to fix it. In such cases, I send a message to the seller, asking to combine shipping costs, and they usually do it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add akhav to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
it happens when sellers require immediate payment which is an option when listing
Pillar Of The Community
United States
953 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   4:06 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the seller was in France. I'm not sure how in that case I'd go about requesting combined shipping as he won't have record of a sale until I go through checkout and pay for my purchases as separate items.

I used my laptop which has Chrome as default browser. Wonder if I used another computer with windows that might help things work better.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ekbustad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I rarely use the eBay shopping cart. I just go ahead and use the "Buy It Now" button or, for auctions, enter my bid and wait until the auctions are over. Then if I get the dreaded notice that the seller does not offer combined shipping I try a couple of things. Note that at this point, the seller DOES have a record that I have bought the items and need to pay for them.

First, I log into eBay.de and try it from there. This often works!

But if that doesn't work, as happened to me the other day, I use the "Ask a question" link on one of the items to ask the seller to send me an invoice with combined shipping for the items.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3136 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   4:54 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Combined mailing is a pain for a lot of my buyers as they have to commit to buying before I can adjust the combine mailing on the invoice.It is not automatic because of a weight mailing cost issue on the heavier items that I sell.

Even after telling the buyer that I will combine the mailing on the invoice there is this no trust issue towards the seller. Even when I say this email would be proof that we agreed to combine mailing the trust issue still seems to remain. Other than that I do not seem to have any combine mailing issues.
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In eBay under My Account>Preferences is Combined Payments and Shipping Discounts. I went into that awhile back and under Combined Payments specified that buyers can send one combined payment. Then I left the Flat Shipping Rule and Calculated Shipping Rule untouched. I sell a variety of items besides stamps and postal history so I wasn't about to try to figure out a way to combine all of those. I also don't have the immediate pay option checked for BIN. I've had people purchase BIN items and then wait for my invoice. But then I've had people pay for each item and the shipping for each item which I've then had to go back and refund. I use Turbo Lister still and the section for shipping is to the far lower right which probably doesn't jump out at listers. All you can do is communicate with your seller is communicate before and after the sale and hope for the best on getting a refund.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
744 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   10:32 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Combined shipping calculations by eBay are error prone if the seller handles domestic and international shipments differently. When my shipping was set up as free to the United States and $1.25 to international destinations, I found that eBay never used the combined shipping discount, even if an invoice was sent from the SixBit eCommerce solution. The only way to fix combined international shipping was to manually send an eBay invoice before the buyer could pay. Otherwise, it was necessary to issue a refund for the miscalculated shipping.

When eBay forced sellers to use tracking in order to stay top-rated, international shipping costs for many items in my inventory were lowest to Canada, then other countries with the US as the most expensive. I finally concluded that charging for international shipping, although profitable was a big waste of time. Now, eBay rarely fails to calculate free shipping correctly, but PayPal will not accept payment for combined orders with free shipping to some international destinations. It is still necessary to manually send combined invoices to France, and maybe some other countries.

So even when it doesn't matter, eBay software still doesn't work as expected.
Edited by cfrphoto - 02/16/2017 10:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1047 Posts
Posted 02/17/2017   03:07 am  Show Profile Check CanadaStamp's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A reminder to buyers. It is "shipping and handling." I reduce S & H for multiple orders shipped at same time. I do not "combine" - and never will - if that means charging the same S&H for five items as one.. First of all, postage depends on weight and every added item increases the weight and possibly my costs. Second, I charge a handling fee for every item I sell. Why would I eliminate handling on additional items? Packaging - and all the related costs including storage have to be covered. They don't go away because someone buys more than one item.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
511 Posts
Posted 02/17/2017   3:34 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently went to a combined shipping rule whereby 1st item is $3.35 and all additional items ship free. I set it up in eBay and it seems to work fine. Does anybody know if I still have to pay final value fees on the shipping for the additional items even though they ship free?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2161 Posts
Posted 02/17/2017   3:48 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I combine shipping, but I have to do it manually. I only charge for shipping what the post office charges to keep things fair and gives me a competitive edge against other some sellers. However, lots vary in weight and size thus no automated eBay rules will work. As part of my description I tell potential bidders to wait or request an invoice if they win multiple items. Most do, but there's always that one person - usually a newbie that pays for each item separately for which I have to send refund for excess postage paid. I wish eBay gave sellers an option to prevent buyers from paying until they get an invoice. That would be nice and solve a problem.

As for international shipments, sometimes it's not best to combine items. It's a lot cheaper to send two shipments at the 2-3oz letter rates than one shipment at the 4-5oz packet/package rate. That's definitely something that I don't think one can calculate that into eBay automatically.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
511 Posts
Posted 02/17/2017   5:02 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Up until recently I used your method of combining packages, weighing them and Invoicing exact shipping costs. In that case I know I was paying final value fees on both items. Now I charge a little more than the cost of 1 item but ship the rest for free. Of course I lose $ on some shipments but I wonder if I save some eBay fees.

My rationale for changing methods was to simplify and streamline shipping so that I could sell more items. Now I am selling 20% more items which I think outweighs some shipping loses.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
744 Posts
Posted 02/17/2017   7:42 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The eBay Final Value Fee should be based on the total value of the order including any domestic shipping charges. If international shipping amounts are more, the excess is not included in the FVF calculation. Since I no longer charge for most shipping, I have not had to check FVF amounts that carefully.

I found that including some shipping in the price works combined with using discount postage keeps costs under control. My experience with stamp buyers is that they generally don't order more than one item at a time. Sellers of inexpensive stamps may see different behavior. In other categories, buyers are more likely to purchase multiple items, giving a definite advantage to bundled free shipping instead of lower prices with separate shipping fees with discounts for combined shipping.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1262 Posts
Posted 02/17/2017   10:46 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish there was a way to have one rule for domestic (add'l ship free) and a different rule for foreign (small extra charge) as if a US shipment goes up to 2 ounces it is no big deal (21c more), but if an international shipment goes up to 2 ounces it is a bigger deal (around 85c). I know I've seen sellers say Wait for a combined invoice with shipping costs that reflect what is being shipped, I wonder how many buyers are that patient and how many trust that that it isn't going to be lot higher.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2474 Posts
Posted 02/17/2017   11:00 pm  Show Profile Check tomiseksj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I sometimes think I must be doing something wrong. Am I?

Each time this happens to me I don't make payment but rather contact the seller, tell him that eBay's system wouldn't let me request an invoice, and ask him to send an invoice adjusted for combined shipping.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2161 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   06:24 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find most buyers are patient enough to wait for a combined invoice. Some send requests. Also, if you're a well established seller, prompt in sending invoices and you ship at post office rates then the trust is established as well too. Again it's usually a newbie who doesn't wait. As for international shipping, the big jump doesn't occur when you go from 1 to 2oz., but rather 3oz to 4oz. when you switch from letter rates to parcel. Ouch!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Great Britain Early Cut stamp 1/2d Can anyone ID this stamp?
  1922 scott 562c 10 perf ? Opinions are welcome
  Help idenity these 2 postage stamps
  Sold what I believe to be counterfeit Vintage 2015 Forever stamps on Ebay
  Starter collection of US stamps
  Was I being shill bidded?
  Has anyone Seen High Value Jubilees on Cover?
  Marlboro NJ strange type is it a fake?
  Show us HOT AIR BALLOONS!
  German Essays revisited
  Help wanted to identify some more spanish stamps
  imperf 1871 hungary stamp? please help identify?
  Misdiscribed lots at Kelleher Auctions, Aldrich Auctions
  "Mail Early for Christmas" perfect cancel on Scott #721
  Can someone help with this DOUBLE IMPRESSION 1800s 2 cent US POSTAGE STATIONARY
  German 100 mark error stamp
  Questions on APS Circuit Status schedules..........
  Rochester T&T Type 232?
  Smartphone apps for stamp collecting
  What would you like to see for sale on SCF?
  Double impression, RN style
  Old stamp album with fungi - Anyone have experience using Lindner ERNI a + b?
  1922 5c 10perf roosevelt (557 scott)?
  Please use this for my avatar. Thanks
  Being drawn to the clear (not dark) side....

Identifying Arab writing stamp
  Great Britain Early Cut stamp 1/2d Can anyone ID this stamp?
  Farming/Agriculture on Stamps
  1922 scott 562c 10 perf ? Opinions are welcome
  Kuwait
  Vimy Memorials
  How to tell if a stamp has been reperfed.
  Regency Stamp Auctions in St. Louis
  american occupation of France 1944-please help me locate?
  Automatic Supplements
  Sold what I believe to be counterfeit Vintage 2015 Forever stamps on Ebay
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Best stamp hinges
  Rochester T&T Type 232?
  Please help identify three stamps ( France??)
  FOOTWARE - Shoes, Sneakers, and Other Foot Coverings!
  Was I being shill bidded?
  Help idenity these 2 postage stamps
  Show us HOT AIR BALLOONS!
  Starter collection of US stamps
  Canada cigarette stamps
  Misdiscribed lots at Kelleher Auctions, Aldrich Auctions
  Don't be deceived by this odd item
  Chickens!
  Has anyone Seen High Value Jubilees on Cover?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05