Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

advice on selling collection of 2300 Austria  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
11 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add davidray to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Seeking advice on which of these would be the best way to try to sell a collection of about 2300 stamps from Austria mounted on Scott specialty album pages:

(1) a general dealer who offers to buy all kinds of collections?

(2) a dealer who specalizes in Austria, like R. Schneider?

(3) an auction house like Apfelbaum?

(4) putting it on consignment to a dealer who sells to collectors, like Don Lewis' Country Collections?

There are 1600 regular issues and about 700 back-of-the-book issues, mostly semi-postals, postage due stamps. newspaper and military stamps. The 2300 total includes 200 to 300 duplicates, often mint and used of the same issue (for maybe 15 years, there are actually duplicate pages, one for mint and one for used). The collection was given a catalog value greater than $2,200, but I don't know what year's catalog that was based on. The pages run through 1994. Many of the mint stamps are hinged, although some are in mounts. There are five empty mounts, but I don't think these were items removed since they are pretty much low-value issues. The highest value may be in the back-of-the-book issues, as I noticed a used Scott #25 "Offices in the Turkish Empire" which is valued at 72.50 in the 2014 catalog. There are 13 stamps from Lombardy-Venetia, although my Scott catalog doesn't provide enough information to identify whether they are reprints.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by davidray - 03/19/2017 4:10 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1941 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not to be discouraging but the news might not be good. Austria sells low in my experience and it would be hard to describe this as 'specialized'.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
1436 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the real world, $2,200 catalog value of 2,300 Austrian stamps sells for 10%-15%. After commission, all your above options (if any will agree to sell) will not leave you very much. Your best bet would be to sell to a collector.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2030 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   5:00 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - Austria is pretty disappointing, unless you're buying. I expect to find myself in the same boat soon, as I try to cut down my collection. Might be worth pulling out some of the better inter-war sets (if present) and the nineteenth century Lombardy/Venetia reprints can go quite well, I think. Then put these on eBay, plus the remaindered albums.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
711 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I replied to this question on the other SCF forum. David can find my thoughts there.
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
Posted 03/23/2017   09:13 am  Show Profile Check ecmorgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ecmorgan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it depends on what you want.

Sell fast, but for low return? Any of the routes you listed may work.

If you aren't in a hurry, but want more money? eBay or similar approaches.

Member American Philatelic Society, American Topical Association, Haiti Philatelic Society, Scouts on Stamps Society International, Nashville Philatelic Society.
Valued Member
France, Metropolitan
215 Posts
Posted 03/23/2017   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi; Austria first 40 stamps any mint?
Valued Member
France, Metropolitan
215 Posts
Posted 03/26/2017   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
davidray: You might try Viennafil auction house.There are many Austrian stamps that can fetch very good prices,then again you must see exactly what you have.Browse through their listings and compare with what you have.Austrian collectors are always ready too buy material from their country...although they can be very picky about condition...
https://www.philasearch.com/de/coun...tionnr=15913
http://www.viennafil.com/
http://www.filatelia-monster.com/Vi...il-Auktionen
Edited by perf12 - 03/26/2017 07:53 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Feeling like it's all for the birds
  Help Needed -> George Washington Proprietary R13 & R18 Stamps
  Help with 1878 tax on seals
  Total Newbie here so bear with me...
  USPCS Midwest Bank Note Study Group COMPEX gathering
  King George VI Inverted Watermarks
  What Happened with Schaubek??
  Chinese stamps-help to evaluate
  Need Help With US Scott #101
  extended extra portion of stamp? GB Scott #61 plate 19.help needed?
  Help please....don't believe this is a Sc#24 but...
  Presentation help with this stamp error printing method.
  Roosevelt proofs presentation album images?
  German Reich 1923, no. 325A Pb, 1 Mrd ). Blackish brown ??
  DANEPEX Covers Now Available-Featuring Charles Lindbergh
  Help for new collectors
  Expect fewer stamps on your mail
  About Stamp memories
  United Nations 1948-1973
  Scott catalog 2018 edition to be 12 volumes
  Queen Victoria Penny Red Identification
  gernany - 1922 -1923 3000 Mk - blackish brown ??
  Need one more of these.
  Help with a US Internal revenue, series of 1875 - private?
  Advice for selling an Inherited collection on Ebay

Are cheap album manufacturers days numbered?
  Supersafe Hinges comments
  Cover Calendar for month and day -PICS
  Feeling like it's all for the birds
  German Reich 1923, no. 325A Pb, 1 Mrd ). Blackish brown ??
  Double and Triple Transfers
  New Canadian "Kiosk" Stamps
  Need Help With US Scott #101
  Need help identifying these stamps
  A horse is a horse, of course, of course... (part 2)
  Total Newbie here so bear with me...
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Help Needed -> George Washington Proprietary R13 & R18 Stamps
  Roosevelt proofs presentation album images?
  Help with 1878 tax on seals
  About Stamp memories
  There is a fungus among us.
  A few Album Binder Reviews -
  Introducing others to our hobby
  Show me! MUSIC / Musicians/ Instruments
  Help for new collectors
  USPCS Midwest Bank Note Study Group COMPEX gathering
  King George VI Inverted Watermarks
  Latin Species Names For Plants & Animals
  Mathematics on stamps

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05