Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Steiner vs Philosateleian pages for used US collectors?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
4 Posts
Posted 05/19/2017   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Collecting used US is a casual "side-hobby" of mine (not my main philatelic interest, but something I still enjoy!). I've been amassing a nice little hoard over the years, currently housed in stockbooks and envelopes, and have recently decided to 'take the plunge' into the world of self-printed albums as a way of finally organizing them.

At the moment, I'm torn between the Steiner pages and the free Philosateleian pages. While I'm not a huge fan of Helvetica on stamp album pages, I prefer the double border of Steiner's pages to the single border used in the Philosateleian, and I've also found that Steiner uses a slightly more compact layout (US up through 1940, not counting BOB, is 72 pages in Steiner and 88 in the other).

But Steiner is also geared towards mint collectors; this is particularly apparent in recent years, where there are spaces for a sheet or pane of new issues, but none for the individual stamps themselves. Philosateleian generally breaks them all up individually.

Has anyone else had this problem? I know Steiner has blank pages to make your own, but I find the prospect of having to do those myself rather daunting.

Thoughts and comments would be most appreciated!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
290 Posts
Posted 05/19/2017   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can't get a better buy than the Mystic pages and binders if you collect used.

https://www.mysticstamp.com/Product...s/DS111/USA/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
122 Posts
Posted 05/19/2017   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reports of the regular (not hingeless) Mystic pages sagging in their binders make me hesitant about that album. Pages need to be heavier weight, about 65# or more, to hold stamps and mounts.

You could, however, photocopy the Mystic pages onto heavier paper and end up with a very nice album.

Putting those pages in a sturdier and more elegant binder (I suggest the Lighthouse Vario F) would make it even better. Mystic's binders are standard office supply store quality, meaning okay but not impressive.

Both the other print-yourself pages are nicely done with Steiner's pages being the more popular. Printing those on sturdy paper and putting them into a good binder makes for a pretty decent, though perhaps not very elegant, album.

For more elegant, uncluttered, and sophisticated you need to step up to something like a Scott National album. That's more money, though, naturally.
Edited by DrewM - 05/19/2017 2:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
858 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   03:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone else had this problem? I know Steiner has blank pages to make your own, but I find the prospect of having to do those myself rather daunting.

I don't consider it a problem to make custom pages for singles (or other varieties for that matter).

In this example, the custom page took perhaps 5 minutes to create.

What is daunting is when I decide to redo a whole series of stamps based on another stamp catalog. I've been creating custom pages for Scandinavian definitives based on the Facit catalog. Now that's daunting.

Regards, Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
770 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   05:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If anyone is worried about Mystic pages sagging, just use Vario F 4 ring binders (you will need more anyway) and repunch the the pages.

The following is not a good idea for any album.

Al
Valued Member
Denmark
366 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   06:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To each his own, but

to me, including both the singles AND the strip of five as shown above is a no-go.
Why not just place the individual stamps in the space for the strip, and if you get the strip later on, just replace the singles.
That's how I do it anyway :-)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2704 Posts
Posted 05/21/2017   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you're a used US Collector, the Philosateleian has once nice advantage. All stamps. including se-tenants are singles, which is how you would find them used.

Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com

Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society Member #1212: http://www.upns.org
Eire Philatelic Association Member #2869: http://www.eirephilatelicassoc.org/
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
Posted 05/22/2017   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveG28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have not had an issue with sagging pages in my Mystic binders. I've expanded mine to 5 binders now, and I'll likely get a 6th when I order the 2017 supplement next year. I don't want any of them to get too thick. I kind of wish they offered an elegant way to label each binder so I know which year each one holds, but I make do. What I'm doing currently, because it's the most exasperating thing about the U.S. stamps at the moment, is making a list of what pages the various definitive issues are on. It's become a hassle to find those, so I thought a one page reference to them would be helpful. Any thoughts or better suggestions?
4 Posts
Posted 05/22/2017   09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies, all - some good things to think about.

At this point, I think I'm leaning towards the Philosateleian, as redesigning Steiner pages just sounds like too much work right now (creating ones from scratch might be simple enough, but taking out the plate blocks, for example, and moving things around again is a bit too much).

Both are a great service to the collector community, and it's hard to beat the price of the Philosateleian. I do have some reservations with it still - have noticed at least one spelling error, so I'll have to check each page carefully before printing - but as apastuszak pointed out, each stamp is given its own space, and as a used US collector, that's important to me.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  What is your most prized philatelic possession?
  US $2 Inverted Jenny Stamp Sheet to Remain on Sell
  Full double transfer on R14.
  Latest on the Demise of Turbo Lister
  help identify greece stamp with overprints?
  British East Africa Questions
  Availability of "The Complete Deegam Machin Handbook"
  Help needed with 10c Banknote id
  "The Stamp Collecting Mania" in the NY Times
  Spain Civil war issue
  Uruguay cover to Germany 1937. Airmail route???
  Older Scott Specialty Slip Cases???
  Eid stamp issue (May 24/17)
  Scott 106xx-7-P6 Precancel
  Seeking advice/comments on collection organization and storage
  3rd Reich / Nazi stamps
  US Scott 443 Washington 1c line single?
  The Stamps of Tokelau.
  Moscow to New York: two letter-size envelopes w/ Scott Russia #C75 1 PVB
  Can someone check the Part II of the new Minkus Pages for Togo Please
  Is my Washington 2 Cent stamp an error or just an oddity
  Need help please on this 1870 2 cent jackson scott 135 Red???
  Private Auctions on eBay
  Woohoo! Went 3 for 3 at the Philatelic Foundation!

US $2 Inverted Jenny Stamp Sheet to Remain on Sell
  Availability of "The Complete Deegam Machin Handbook"
  Seeking advice/comments on collection organization and storage
  What are some RED CROSS stamps that you have??
  Can someone check the Part II of the new Minkus Pages for Togo Please
  What is your most prized philatelic possession?
  Regency Stamp Auctions in St. Louis
  Turtle Stamps
  Latest on the Demise of Turbo Lister
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  The Stamps of Portugal.
  Everything's Coming Up BUTTERFLIES!
  Full double transfer on R14.
  German Perfin Catalog
  Stamps On Television
  GOLD is everywhere, everything is GOLDEN
  US Scott 443 Washington 1c line single?
  Harding 2c #613 - perf 11
  Older Scott Specialty Slip Cases???
  "The Stamp Collecting Mania" in the NY Times
  Woohoo! Went 3 for 3 at the Philatelic Foundation!
  Help needed with 10c Banknote id
  Lets see JEWELRY on stamps!

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05