Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 World Modern Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

chalky paper

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

philb
Pillar Of The Community

USA
9738 Posts

Posted 08/28/2009  09:13 am  Show Profile Check philb's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Chalky paper is a term used to describe paper that was given a coating of chalk before the stamp image was printed. This was a security measure that made removing cancels from stamps more difficult..because taking off the cancel would also remove the stamp image. I am sure you can find more info on the subject..this is just a tip of the iceburg..some stamps with the same image were printed on regular paper as well as chalky..check your catalogs !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Send note to staff

cgrotha
Pillar Of The Community
United States
575 Posts

Posted 08/28/2009  7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cgrotha to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Is there an easy or practical way to discern 'chalky' paper from regular papers in used stamps?

Edited by cgrotha - 08/28/2009 7:40 pm
Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

bobgggg
Pillar Of The Community

USA
2730 Posts

Posted 08/28/2009  8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Phil pretty much spelled it out. Here is some additional info:

CHALKY PAPER: This is where the the paper has been coated with a chalky substance. This is done to make the postmark more difficult to remove from the stamp, without damaging it. The print on chalky paper, sometimes appears smoother. If the chalky paper is rubbed with silver, a black mark appears. Many modern chalky paper issues can be detected by using a UV lamp.

A Philatelic mind
is a terrible thing to waste

David Giles
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted 08/28/2009  10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David Giles to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

In the King George VI reign I study, we have identified sub-categories of chalky paper that are wartime economy measures. Still chalky paper, but they do not react to to the silver test. The silver test is not recommended as it does damage the stamp.

Bobgggg is bang-on when he talks about using an Ulra-Violet light.

The feel of the chalky paper is a good indicator as well.

David

philb
Pillar Of The Community

USA
9738 Posts

Posted 08/29/2009  09:49 am  Show Profile Check philb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I am no expert for certain...when looking at British Commonwealth stamps of the reign of King George 5 I have seen stamps issued with and without chalky paper...the Hong Kong stamp I posted has a glossy, waxy look..others I have seen you can just about see the white chalk......i was fortunate that I had copies for comparison..chalky paper vs. ordinary paper !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853

jaxom
Valued Member

United States
50 Posts

Posted 09/22/2009  11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It is also said that if you soak a chalky paper stamp, the image will come off. You can try that.... :(

khj
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
5750 Posts

Posted 09/22/2009  3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is also said that if you soak a chalky paper stamp, the image will come off. You can try that.... :(

I do not believe that is correct.

I might guess that your source either confused chalky paper with aniline/fugitive ink, or may have soaked a stamp printed with aniline/fugitive ink on chalky paper and assumed the cause of the problem was the chalky paper.

k

philb
Pillar Of The Community

USA
9738 Posts

Posted 09/22/2009  3:57 pm  Show Profile Check philb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have used chalky paper stamps..i think they survived the bath fine !

khj
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5750 Posts

Posted 09/22/2009  4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have used chalky paper stamps..i think they survived the bath fine!

Whereas us humans, we tend to get a little wrinkly!

khj
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5750 Posts

Posted 09/22/2009  5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The primary purpose of using chalky paper back then was to prevent reuse of postage stamps by making it difficult to remove postmarks by soaking in water, and yet not cause damage to the actual stamp. So soaking typical chalky paper stamps should not affect the stamp. I believe they discontinued using chalky paper because it was not economical for its intended purpose.

wt1
Bedrock Of The Community

United States
10180 Posts

Posted 01/20/2012  5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Checkout the first paragraph at this link where reference is made suggesting that you should not soak off chalky paper stamps, as the image could come off along with the backing paper:

http://books.google.com/books?id=c5...amps&f=false

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05