Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 World Modern Stamps Mint and Used

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Germany 1945 Overprints - Saulgau?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jubilee
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
1854 Posts

Posted 03/30/2010  11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Do we have any Germany experts?

I picked these up with a job lot recently, and the only reference I can find for this victory overprint is in my ancient 1974 Michel, which says they are for Saulgau (Wurttemburg). My 2005 doesn't show them as far as I can see.

My German is poor though. The price shown in 1974 was 1200 marks for a MNH set of 12. The usual warning word "Falsch" isn't shown which normally means fakes aren't known.

So, why can't I find them in my more recent Michel? Have they been classified as fantasies on the 30 years between my catalogues? A quick Google look-up gave me nothing. Any help would be appreciated!

Send note to staff

warrehouse
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2605 Posts

Posted 03/31/2010  12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It is not the Saulgau private issue, that overprint has the broken V. The 2 lines creating the V don't come together at what would be the base of the letter.

What you do have is the private overprint from Westerstede, Kries-Ammerstadt, in May of 1945. The 3 dot & a dash is Morse Code for the letter V and was applied to 20 different stamps.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

jubilee
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
1854 Posts

Posted 03/31/2010  12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you warrehouse! None but the blind and all that........

I now know where to put them in my collection. Cheers!

sharksfan11
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1152 Posts

Posted 03/31/2010  12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sharksfan11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

These are the only 2 overprinted I have in my collection.

Dianne Earl
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

Canada
3515 Posts

Posted 03/31/2010  07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for sharing these jubilee. I had not yet seen these overprints.

Dianne

Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses

nuggethill
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
1650 Posts

Posted 04/02/2010  5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Jubilee (just my penny's worth) I think you will find that the V stands for Victory over Germany.

jubilee
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
1854 Posts

Posted 04/02/2010  6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Harry, I knew that. The Hitler head local overprints are a fascinating area, but I don't see many of them around.

revstampman
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1639 Posts

Posted 04/02/2010  7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

You don't see many around. Because the real ones get snapped up very quickly. Most of those you do see are Bogus. You should always assume any you see are bogus unless they have a fairly recent Cert from a VERY competent authority, such as the GPS. There are MANY bogus ones out there with Cert's issued in the 1950's-70's.

warrehouse
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2605 Posts

Posted 04/03/2010  12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Sharkfans are from Meissen, Michel 32b & 34, Value 7DM each. Issued June 23, 1945

Cjd
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4861 Posts

Posted 04/03/2010  01:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I don't have very many of these, either. These are my most-recent acquisitions...

I wouldn't presume to say that they are legit. All I can say is that I didn't print them up myself. There is a bit of variation in the overprints between these two examples, and the cancel on the 15 looks a bit dodgy...I like 'em, though.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05