Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 World Classic Stamps Mint and Used
Share this topic!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

George V era - Cochin State

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

tonymacg
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
3216 Posts

Posted 06/29/2010  03:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks, Thomas. I've bought from them on eBay, but I didn't realize they had a Web site of their own. There are about eight Barwani items in Gibbons I'm still chasing, including SG 17a, SG 18ab, SG 19a, SG 26b and SG 31a. I suppose it's just as well I don't have them: if I did, I might begin to feel I'd finished with Barwani, and have to move seriously onto something else.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

spock1k
Pillar Of The Community

2663 Posts

Posted 06/29/2010  07:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

there are 9 items you dont have from barwani Tony. the 9th one is due in october :) hahahaah

tholath
Valued Member
India
145 Posts

Posted 07/31/2010  04:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tholath to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Tony / George

Got these two also recently.

and

First one SG12 I suppose - half puttan green.
The second one - could not make out the SG number
Request your feedback please !

Thomas

tholath
Valued Member
India
145 Posts

Posted 08/11/2010  12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tholath to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi

OK.. got feedback from SG about the 1/2 puttan - it is a forgery they said....

Why did they do the forgery in red colour when the original was green..

Thomas

tonymacg
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
3216 Posts

Posted 08/11/2010  01:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thomas, somehow or other I missed your post with the scans. I apologise for not picking it up. I'm sorry to see you've been sold such a thing, and I hope you didn't lose by it.

I'd also have said the red ˝ Puttan was a fake. Something like that could never have escaped notice over the last 100 years or so.

I don't know who did this one. There are quite a few forgers around, operating in different ways, and with different levels of sophistication. Some of the forgers have got hold of the original plates (for Barwani, for example, and I've heard it said for Bhopal also). Others seem to be using a colour photocopier: their products are immediately recognisable! Some of their fakes are in the wrong colours, or impossible shades anyway. Your item might be one of these.

The lesson is to be very wary of anything unusual or expensive. Buy from reputable dealers, who will refund your money if the item turns out not to be genuine, and for expensive items, insist on a clear BPA certificate.

All this is too late for you, of course, and once again, I am very sorry I didn't see your original post.

spock1k
Pillar Of The Community

2663 Posts

Posted 08/11/2010  03:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

i guess people are not afraid of indian states for nothing

tholath
Valued Member
India
145 Posts

Posted 08/13/2010  06:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tholath to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Tony

Sorry for the delay in replying. Was caught up in work .... and also scanning some recent purchase of Cochins .

And no need to be sorry - - in India we have a saying in Hindi - "Hotha hai" - it happens

The fake 1/2 puttan was in a lot of 65 stamps. Paid about 25USD for the lot - and all put together turned out to be about 28USD as per SG values. That is except these - not added the values of these (pls see below):

Now which ones are fakes too....

Do give your feedback when you have the time. And this one was there too. Hope it is Genuine - should be GBP9 if it is - right?

Regards
Thomas

tholath
Valued Member
India
145 Posts

Posted 08/13/2010  06:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tholath to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi

And to continue - recently purchased one lot of 100 Cochins - cost about Rs.1500. Hope this time I was lucky - - with one O62 (used) and one O65 (used) in the lot....
Will post in "George VI" thread.

Regards
Thomas

tonymacg
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
3216 Posts

Posted 08/13/2010  08:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thomas, the top three and the middle one in the second row are all bad. They were never printed as badly as that. This is how they should look:

The last 2 Anna I'm not sure about. The stamp is OK, but I'm not sure about the postmark. It could be OK, but there isn't enough of it to be certain. Here is one of my covers with that stamp:

You can see that, while the postmark on your stamp has the rosette ornament before 'COCHIN', they don't seem to be there on mine. That may not mean anything because there would have been more than one canceller.

tholath
Valued Member
India
145 Posts

Posted 08/14/2010  04:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tholath to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Tony and George

Just from a point of interest. I happened to get this SGO17 in the lot mentioned earlier.

The "C" seems to be cut on the left of the letter.

Magnified... (The rubber stampers have made me bring out my USB microscope )

Looking forward to your feedback
Thomas

tonymacg
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
3216 Posts

Posted 08/14/2010  04:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

OK, I think, Thomas. Gibbons mentions that 'All values exist showing a flat-backed "C" variety on R 4/1.' That looks like what you have.

rod222
Bedrock of the Community

Australia
15560 Posts

Posted 08/16/2010  09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It is good news that Cochin has at last issued pictorial stamps. New 2 and 2.25 annas stamps are the forerunners of
a pictorial series which the Government of Cochin had announced some time ago. However, political changes in
India created acute problems in native States and Cochin, engulfed in the whirlpool of political turmoil, had to
delay the issue of the new series for some time. Two values of the series have now appeared and others should
issue in the near future.

The 2 annas stamp is rectangular and grey black in colour with the Raja's head in the top right-hand corner and the
Chinese net depicted in the centre. The Chinese net is symbolical of one of the important occupations of the
people— fishing—for which the Arabian sea coast of Cochin, with its back waters, has been famous from time
immemorial. Fishing is a thriving industry of the State, which has a separate Department of Fisheries to care for
these. The large quantities of fish exported speak volumes for the importance of the fish trade. Hence the fish
depicted on the stamp can be considered appropriate.

The 2.25 annas stamp is sage green in colour and the Dutch Palace of Cochin is depicted in the
centre. This palace was built by the Dutch in the 16th century. The Dutch helped the Raja of Cochin against
Zamorin, the Raja of Calicut The real object of the Dutch in supporting the Raja of Cochin was to oust the
Portuguese from the Malabar coast and thus to secure for themselves the undisputed monopoly of trade with the
west coast. They succeeded in their aim after inflicting a series of defeats on the latter. Having thus secured their
monopoly, the Dutch began to interfere in the affairs of the native rulerss resulting in the Rajas being made puppets
in the hands of the Dutch.

The Dutch Palace depicted on the stamp was built for the Raja of Cochin by the Dutch, hence its name. It is in this
Palace that the Cochin Rajas are crowned even today. The Dutch supremacy on the Malabar coast, already on the
wane, completely collapsed with the subjugation of Holland by Napoleon Bonaparte. Then came the turn of the
British, who, as we all know, quitted India on August 15, 1947. To conclude, the new pictorial series, whatever
their shortcomings, may be hailed as a new epoch in the philatelic history of Cochin. We shall, therefore, hope that
Cochin, as the most advanced State in India, will bear the torch of advancement by issuing attractive stamps with
new designs in future.

tonymacg
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
3216 Posts

Posted 08/16/2010  09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Cochin, as the most advanced State in India

Are you going to stand for that, Rodney

You may be under the mistaken impression it was Travancore, but I know better. Under the enlightened rule of Rana Devi Singh, Barwani was in fact leading the way

tonymacg
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
3216 Posts

Posted 08/16/2010  09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

And just in case any stray reader hasn't caught up with them, here the stamps are in actuality:

Pity that Cochin never got around to the rest of the projected set

rod222
Bedrock of the Community

Australia
15560 Posts

Posted 08/16/2010  3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

My evil, wicked plan worked, Tony.
Of course we are all aware Travancore rules,
I designed the post, to impress on your Cochin slant,
knowing you would post the images of the real stamps
which I needed.

Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05